RECUVA with SSD TRIM ENABLED

batata003

I have a Windows 10 running using SSD. I have Kingston UV300 SSD and it allows TRIM. I also checked and my Windows is running with TRIM enabled.

My question is this: after my server deletes files the TRIM feature of Windows and SSD should make any deleted files to be automatically "zeroed" at the SSD. But that is not the case: when I delete several files (also removed from recycle bin) and I run RECUVA I can recover most of the deleted files!

Why TRIM is not making it's job correctly and preventing data from being recovered by RECUVA?

• Moderators

Do you mean that you can recover valid data or that you can see the file names and sizes but haven't tried to recover the data?

On file deletion with TRIM the file's data clusters (or pages) should be set to zero. However the file name and cluster addresses are still held in the MFT, which TRIM doesn't touch. So Recuva will list the file names, but any recovery will not be successful. Also small files held entirely in the MFT will be able to be recovered successfully as they have no data clusters to delete.

TRIM is not a command that requires a confirmation response (there's a word for this type of command but I can't recall it). So some TRIM commands will fail due to various conditions, which is why an occasional SSD optimise is recommended.

I can recover the files, completely! Not all the files but most the files are available to be recovered. Some files have even 10MB and I can recover them completely!

I know small files can be kept at MBR but that is not my case, some files with MBs can be recovered! Using fsutils I can check that my OS is indeed using TRIM and I am sure my SSD supports TRIM... so what can be happening? If you want to make a remote view on my computer I allow you to check what is going on so you can improve this really nice piece of software!

• Moderators

It looks as if the TRIM command is not being executed. There are reasons for this, as I mentioned in post 2. What does 'my server deletes files' mean?

You could run an optimise against the SSD and then run Recuva.

• Moderators

No, a SSD Optimise will issue a global TRIM command so that unused pages will be erased.

I don't know if there's some reason that TRIM isn't being actioned. If it isn't then even the Optimise may not be of use. You could try

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/trimcheck-does-your-ssd-really-have-trim-working/

at your own risk, of course.