CCleaner Deleted alot of stuff

hollybelle78

I have been using CCleaner for years without any issues. Yesterday I used it and now several things are missing. The picture on my background desktop, Microsoft Outlook has been deleted, several thumbnail pics on my desktop, Firefox info including bookmarks, and some other settings on the computer. What would cause this? I can't get any of the info back, I have to start over with all of my bookmarks and everything. I am scared to use this at all now including on other computers I have.

• Moderators

all your effected items can be explained away if they lived in a temporary folder, or basically, any folder, that has been cleaned by CC.

doesn't explain why they weren't cleaned in the past however - have you recently installed a new CC version?

when you say Outlook has been deleted, do you mean the entire program from \Program Files\Microsoft Office\ or just your desktop shortcut item?

again, if it's just the shortcut and that lived in a temp location then that would be why.

just need to understand why this is happening now and not beforehand.

do you use winapp2.ini ?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1: Is Winapp.ini a problem ?

I have been using CCleaner for years
-  about 12 months ago I broke the default .VBS editor connections being to careless (and over confident) while testing various VBS editors
-  CCleaner was not implicated in my catastrophe.
-  it took days to rectify the registry with the help of CCleaner and other tools -- a clean OS install was not an option
-  a lesson in caution ... and I learnt how to use CCleaner respectfully.

CCleaner is an excellent tool but I use it with a great deal of caution,
-  uncheck everything first then select just one application
-  otherwise doing a blanket clean of all apps is too overwhelming with 100s if not 1000s of found items
    ie, one application at a time and check each item before deletion, I never "fix all" and so far no problems.
-  and if in doubt, white list the item
-  Registry I painstakingly cross check every item too ... no blanket cleans ... registry is not for the inexperienced

I am considering implementing Winapp2.ini :unsure:
Q2: Is Winapp2.ini  over zealous ?

SPECS:
Toshiba Satellite C665
OS:= Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit), sp1 (Build 7601) OEM
UI:=Classic Shell Start + Classic Explorer
Windows Indexing = disabled

CCleaner v5.01.5075  (as at 7-Jan-2015)
... and VMware is on my to-do list