error-cannot access registry when merging backup files

ryanf2004

I downloaded and used the newest version of ccleaner yesterday, Feb. 25, 2009. I deleted and backed up the registry files. Upon using my computer today, i found multiple programs that were missing registry values. I tried to click and "Merge" the backup file but received an error that it could not access the registry!!!!

How can i add the backup and all the files it deleted back to the registry? Please Help!!

• Moderators

Are you using xp or vista?

Have you tried using sytem restore to a date just before you did the registry clean?

Does your backup file still have the .reg file ending (you haven't renamed it)

You could try doing start, run, regedit and then doing file, import and browsing to your .reg file backup.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Are you using xp or vista?

Have you tried using sytem restore to a date just before you did the registry clean?

Does your backup file still have the .reg file ending (you haven't renamed it)

You could try doing start, run, regedit and then doing file, import and browsing to your .reg file backup.

I'm running windows 2000 so no system restore. the backup does say ".reg". I will try the regedit import.... but curiously when i went to the registry location, where a key was reported missing, it was still there.

So the program that uses the key file reported it missing. The backup file listed it when i viewed it in notepad but when i went to that location in the registry, it was still there????

I've reinstalled two programs that i couldn't live without. Is there any chance of further error if i import the backup using the method you suggested?

Thanks!