Ccleaner is acting up on my computer all the time now?

psongoman

HI, about a month ago, CCleaner starting acting up, esp. hanging on IE explorer checking and of course, like all the other ranters, it does finish its business eventually. So, I uninstalled it according to a techie up the street, and then reinstalled it, and ran it, worked perfectly,cleaned everything up, so turned off the computer and had a cup of java. I came back on later today and after surfing  for awhile then ran it again and it started hanging again and taking all sorts of time.

So, my techie friend came back and he said his computer started doing the same thing, but he just let CCleaner run and do its work. Something is seriously wrong. How can a proggie run wonderfully then the next time you use it, it starts doing the same gyrations that it did before. I believe that CCleaner is either running something in the background that doesn't need to be running or it is gathering some kind of information on the first run, or another procedure is in the works.

Does anyone know how I can get CCleaner to cooperate...please don't bring up all the secure stuff and all that as I have been using CCleaner for years with nary a problem until recently. I have turned off CC monitoring though, so I will tell you that, so if that is the reason, then please comment or direct me to a way to resolve, this....to the developers thanks for this much needed program, but TBH, there is a wrench in the ranch somewhere, psongoman

• Moderators

more info please.

CC version?

CC build; slim, portable, normal?

license: free or Pro?

OS version?

AV software?

What have you tried to troubleshoot the issue?  just the uninstall and reinstall?

Tried running CC from Safe Mode?

Tried a previous version of CC to see when the issue started?

Tried creating a new user and seeing if CC misbehaves there too?

Any other changes to your PC: software installs, OS upgrades, etc?

more info equals better advice.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

well, it is the free version, and always the latest. I don't want to get involved with all the computer info area unless necessary. I just tried it again and it is hanging unbelievably long on Internet Explorer cookies and sometimes I don't use IE but Firefox as Facebook and other sites don't like IE9 due to Vista restraints. I think that there is a program on my computer that is affecting this as it is beginning to freeze to, sometimes, but we have checked out every possible lead and all seems well, until it starts hanging on areas like CCleaner, which never, ever gave me any problems. I know from asking around that a lot of other users are experiencing the same snags, so there is something amiss causing these hangups. Any directives appreciated, psongoman

Well, we just ran extensive tests on 6 computers and 4 laptops. They all hang on Internet Explorer cookies and when that is unchecked, they fly, completing the cleaning in like 6 seconds. So, if there are Piriform production people monitoring these posts. Please fix the IE cookie hangup problem, am sure you know all about it for the next update or version, thanks, psongoman

I am posting this followup that will hopefully be viewed and directed back to Piriform developers. We ran extensive tests all week on CCleaner and found out a really disturbing element to either new updates or versions. Older versions of CCleaner do not respond negatively to removal of all that is checked by the user. However, the last two versions afftect the deletion and removal of a lot of computer,let's say leftover internet or user implementation. This is really evident in the removal of Internet Explorer cookies, so we are going to have a representative demonstate this to one of Microsoft personnel that we have contacted as this might be some kind of intrusion into our use of this Piriform product. I cannot divulge any more information but will keep you updated on any and all progress.

To narrow down this analysis for the average user that is experiencing long delays in emptying or cleaning up their computer refuse. If you uncheck Internet Explorer cookies under the Windows portion of the main page, the analysis and runtime will really go quickly. We have no idea why CCleaner is not aware of this malfunction as it occurs on almost every one of our computers and laptops. There are a few where this does not happen on for whatever reason, but they do hang up some on the cookies part of Internet Explorer removal.

• Moderators

I am posting this followup that will hopefully be viewed and directed back to Piriform developers.

The Devs do read all forum posts, as it would be an ideal 'heads-up' data source from real-world users.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi

Lately I have been having a similar problem with CCleaner. 

iFriD4r.png

Program always hangs at this point, and often becomes unresponsive and for Myself personally, I normally run CCleaner using the Recycle Bin context menu, this method now freezes my laptop. 

Further Info:

- I have it set on 1 secure pass and also I have 3 different browsers installed I don't know if that's an issue as it says "web cache", am not tech savvy.

- These are the only browsers I have on my laptop: Yandex, Comodo's Chromodo, & Torch

- I have Windows Defender as my AV