The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

nodles

• Moderators

Firefox and spell checking with this IP.Board software used on this forum has always been an issue.

You'll find your Firefox spell checking works on all other sites (unless you have turned it off).

As a work-around, right click something you are typing on this forum and select Languages and then select a language.  It'll start spell checking then.

I've just upgraded from FF v37.0.2 to 38.0.1 and since the internal update process didn't find the new v38 I had to do an over-the-top install and it broke the spell checking on this forum again.

After many languages, tick boxes, options, dictionaries, and plug-in changes it'll eventually work again but I've never pinpointed the exact method to get it to do so.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

WRT html5 problems on YT, have any of you tried Nightly? 1080p@60fps works without issue for me in Nightly these days.

I gave up a couple of days ago and installed the YouTube Flash player addon. So nice to see videos actually play again!

• Fixed

Systems with first generation NVidia Optimus graphics cards may crash on start-up

• Fixed

Users who import cookies from Google Chrome can end up with broken websites

• Fixed

Large animated images may fail to play and may stop other images from loading

• Fixed

WebRTC H264 video streams from CiscoSpark native clients are not decoded correctly. (Fixed in Firefox ESR 38.0.1; was already fixed in Firefox 38.0)

Known Issues
  • unresolved

Responsive images do not update when the enclosing viewport changes

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Firefox ESR

for those who do not want permanently to upgrade to new version-numbers. certainly suitable for us normal end users.
is supplied for a whole year only with securityupdates. not with new features.

Firefox ESR...

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

Firefox and spell checking with this IP.Board software used on this forum has always been an issue.

You'll find your Firefox spell checking works on all other sites (unless you have turned it off).

As a work-around, right click something you are typing on this forum and select Languages and then select a language.  It'll start spell checking then.

I've just upgraded from FF v37.0.2 to 38.0.1 and since the internal update process didn't find the new v38 I had to do an over-the-top install and it broke the spell checking on this forum again.

After many languages, tick boxes, options, dictionaries, and plug-in changes it'll eventually work again but I've never pinpointed the exact method to get it to do so.

And it has started working again today - all by itself.

For the last 5 days, after trying numerous combos of dictionaries, languages, plug-ins etc, nothing worked and I was simply right clicking in a post and selecting Languages manually to make it spell check.

With today's posts, it now does it automatically as it should.

Go figure. (but I'm used to this estrange relationship with FF and this Boards software now)

• Moderators

Suggested tiles...

https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingcontent/2015/05/21/providing-a-valuable-platform-for-advertisers-content-publishers-and-users/

also here

http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/21/mozilla-will-soon-launch-sponsored-suggested-tiles-based-on-your-browsing-history/

Today, I’m pleased to announce Suggested Tiles – our latest innovation and complement to Directory Tiles, as we work to create a more powerful and personalized Web experience for our users. I discussed the Mozilla mission in the context of digital advertising earlier this year. Suggested Tiles represents an important step for us to improve the state of digital advertising for the Web, and to deliver greater user agency.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

An update on the FF spell checking issue with this board.

Due to other 'gremlins', I did a fresh install of Win8 on my main PC and of cause when I reloaded FF, it wasn't spell checking items on this IP.Board.

As a test to try and narrow down a fix, I only installed two add-ons, the English (GB) Language Pack (38.0) and the British English Dictionary (updated) (1.19.6)

After those, it still wouldn't correct spelling mistakes and I continued setting up my standard operating environment and Windows updates.

Numerous reboots, still no spell checking.

That was yesterday and now, today, it's spell checking like a champion.

No rhyme or reason, but at least I know at least the minimum add-ons needed to fix it for me.

• Moderators

OK, cool, let's see what comes of that.

I can add, on that bug description, that (for me), I've always managed to get it to spell - eventually - but have now narrowed it down to what at least needs to be done to make it so.

And once the spell checking kicks in, it stays kicked in.

ff v. 38.0.5 from 2. juni 15 --> this version i will try :-)

What’s New
  • Reference: Release notes for Firefox 38.0.1

• New

Keep track of articles and videos with Pocket

• New

Clean formatting for articles and blog posts with Reader View

• New

Share the active tab or window in a Hello conversation

• Fixed

A race condition that would cause Firefox to stop painting when switching tabs (bug 1067470)

• Fixed

Fixed graphics performance when using the built-in VGA driver on Windows 7 (Bug 1165732)

Known Issues
  • unresolved

Responsive images do not update when the enclosing viewport changes

• 2 weeks later...

firefox 38.0.6 will be not delivered

reason: only one bug in one special edition has been fixed

http://www.pcwelt.de/news/Firefox-38.0.6-Wenig-Nutzer-erhalten-neue-Version-Browser-9707093.html

from google translation:

On the FTP servers of a new version of Mozilla Firefox is available for download recently. This is to Firefox 38.0.6. Within a short time would be so for Firefox 38, Firefox 38.0.1 Firefox 38.0.5 and another version of Firefox available. However, the emphasis is on "would", Mozilla will not extradite to the majority of Firefox users, the new version 38.0.6.

The reason for this is that with Firefox 38.0.6 only a small bug has been fixed in a special Firefox version. These designated by Mozilla as Firefox "Funnelcake" -Releases Firefox variants are delivered only to some companies and included a feature that can be tracked how often the Firefox browser has been successfully installed in a company.

A release of Firefox 38.0.6 for all Firefox users therefore makes no sense. Users should therefore no update perform, thus conserving their time and their Internet connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Interesting read.

I always set Enable Health Report to off via Options/Advanced/Data Choices, but about:config still shows datareporting.healthreport.service.enabled as True, which surprises me.

That setting just seems to disable the upload.

As a nightly tester, I suppose I am meant to give my data to Mozilla :lol:

Speaking of Nightly:

npapi plugin sandboxing:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/HbX7fw90Q8Q

share rule processors for XUL, scoped, UA, and user stylesheets: (heavy memory gains for AdBlock Plus and its forks, unclear as to whether or not this will affect uBlock/Origin - currently seems as though it will not)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77999

I really tried hard to read those links, but my brain just kept melting from all the PR speak :blink::P

TL;DR:

Shorter release cycles

More partnerships with companies / addons (like Pocket)

Functionality polish

More focus on features like e10s (multiprocess firefox)

Removing XUL/XBL (much resistance to this on MozillaZine) and replacing them with web technologies (likely HTML)

Changes to mobila user agent

• Moderators

Shorter release cycles? Can they get any shorter? Are we all going to be running "nightly" (or better yet "daily"=release "nightly"=beta). Sheesh

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Shorter release cycles? Can they get any shorter? Are we all going to be running "nightly" (or better yet "daily"=release "nightly"=beta). Sheesh

I think the idea is that bugfixes and features will be pushed out "when they're ready" vs. on a set schedule. Very useful for security issues, and prevents them from launching half-baked features (I guess?). I run Nightly now and if they could get it to the point of not requring a restart each day to actually apply the update, I really don't think that the model would be a poor choice for the release cycle.

Mozilla and Google seem to be in a race to make browser version numbers irrelevant

• Moderators
Wait!?! What the he(ck)?! I knew they were real...but honestly what is that about :(

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com