Cleanmem memory manager

Willy2

Shane: Windows 7 32bit Ignore List batch file does not work (even if run as admin) I had to manually paste my ignore list into %systemroot%\system32\

Before I had the mini monitor there was no GUI for cleanmem. So I had the txt files.

Now that I have the mini monitor I am thinking of making a gui for the settings as well now :-)

Shane

(About Shane)
Girlfriend & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.
When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: SirSoft.io & Former Owner and Programmer of Tweaking.com

I am working on a new version of the min monitor to include a key hook function, so you can set what key to hit on your keyboard and have cleanmem run. I use this for when I am in games.

Also adding a few other things.

Any changes you think I should make while I am at it?

Shane

HI Shane

A suggested change:Set a level of CPU activity to delay cleanmem cheduled task when CPU is very busy.

Thank you for your exellent product.

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

HI Shane

A suggested change:Set a level of CPU activity to delay cleanmem cheduled task when CPU is very busy.

Thank you for your exellent product.

I could do something like that.

May I ask why you want that feature? To be honest I am on a quad core 3.4ghz per core system, so CPU isn't really a problem. Do you notice a hit to the system when you have your cpu maxed? say on a single or dual core?

If so then this would be a good option.

Only problem would be that cleanmem runs from the task scheduler. In order for me to do advanced options like that I can let the user choose between using cleanmem by the task scheduler or using the mini monitor. Then I can build the cleanmem functions into the min monitor, and since it will be running all the time (If a user wants) then I can add advanced monitoring like CPU and more.

Shane

(About Shane)

I could do something like that.

May I ask why you want that feature? To be honest I am on a quad core 3.4ghz per core system, so CPU isn't really a problem. Do you notice a hit to the system when you have your cpu maxed? say on a single or dual core?

If so then this would be a good option.

Only problem would be that cleanmem runs from the task scheduler. In order for me to do advanced options like that I can let the user choose between using cleanmem by the task scheduler or using the mini monitor. Then I can build the cleanmem functions into the min monitor, and since it will be running all the time (If a user wants) then I can add advanced monitoring like CPU and more.

Shane

I`m on 64x2 AMD dual core processor 3800+ and I personally don`t notice any change that I can tell about,after all it takes only about 1 second to complete the task. I`ll roll it back to you, the question is if you think that cleanmem hits the CPU on that scheduled operation so that it will justify the effort.

I`m on 64x2 AMD dual core processor 3800+ and I personally don`t notice any change that I can tell about,after all it is takes only about 1 second to complete the task. I`ll roll it back to you, the question is if you think that cleanmem hits the CPU on that scheduled operation so that it will justify the effort.

Thats what is hard to tell. Last night was playing Battlefield 2 Vietnam with some friends.

I gave them all a test exe that would run cleanmem when they hit the "T" key on their keyboard. As we where all in game I had them all run cleanmem during a firefight and none of them felt any hicups or anything. (They all now love cleanmem lol)

I have dual monitors, I had the mini monitor on the 2nd screen. While playing I ran cleanmem and 400 mb of memory where freed from the game and it didn't skip a beat. the game would slowly climb back up, but I have cleanmem running every 15 min on my system. (I also have 8gb of ram and my page file disabled)

They did not have their page file disabled, and we all have pretty high end gaming rigs. (So not sure how good of a test this would be vs older systems, but this is while playing a game after all)

CPU has never seem to be a problem as cleanmem needs VERY little.

Cleanmem opens, loads the txt files, loops through the process list and runs the api call on each or by how ever the user has their settings, records any logs if set, and closes itself. happens all very fast.

Perhaps it would be better to just have cleanmem set to run in a low cpu priority instead? Thoughts?

Shane

(About Shane)

Thats what is hard to tell. Last night was playing Battlefield 2 Vietnam with some friends.

I gave them all a test exe that would run cleanmem when they hit the "T" key on their keyboard. As we where all in game I had them all run cleanmem during a firefight and none of them felt any hicups or anything. (They all now love cleanmem lol)

I have dual monitors, I had the mini monitor on the 2nd screen. While playing I ran cleanmem and 400 mb of memory where freed from the game and it didn't skip a beat. the game would slowly climb back up, but I have cleanmem running every 15 min on my system. (I also have 8gb of ram and my page file disabled)

They did not have their page file disabled, and we all have pretty high end gaming rigs. (So not sure how good of a test this would be vs older systems, but this is while playing a game after all)

CPU has never seem to be a problem as cleanmem needs VERY little.

Cleanmem opens, loads the txt files, loops through the process list and runs the api call on each or by how ever the user has their settings, records any logs if set, and closes itself. happens all very fast.

Perhaps it would be better to just have cleanmem set to run in a low cpu priority instead? Thoughts?

Shane

I`d put is as an option,not by default,but then again you are going to get a lot of users questions....:-)

I`d put is as an option,not by default,but then you are going to get a lot of users questions....:-)

For now, personally I don't think a cpu option is needed. But just because I think that doesn't mean I am right. If anyone else requests it I will add it ;-)

Shane

(About Shane)

These are my personal thoughts concerning CM 1.65:

Yes, I certainly would welcome a GUI for the CM settings. Personally, I would reduce drasticly/significantly the number of options concerning the appearence (like e.g. color options) of the mini monitor and put more emphasis and priority on a relatively simple and straightforward GUI for the basic settings like the:

-- ignore list

-- log settings list

-- only list

-- file chache

-- automatically start upon Windows start up

(But isn't this a discussion that should take place at the PcWinTech.com forum ???)

Remember the KISS (Keep It Simple St***d) principle ??

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

These are my personal thoughts concerning CM 1.65:

Yes, I certainly would welcome a GUI for the CM settings. Personally, I would reduce drasticly/significantly the number of options concerning the appearence (like e.g. color options) of the mini monitor and put more emphasis and priority on a relatively simple and straightforward GUI for the basic settings like the:

-- ignore list

-- log settings list

-- only list

-- file chache

-- automatically start upon Windows start up

(But isn't this a discussion that should take place at the PcWinTech.com forum ???)

Remember the KISS (Keep It Simple St***d) principle ??

Your right this should be over in my forums. Didn't mean to hijack the thread :-)

I wanted feedback more than traffic :-)

I wont be removing any of the current settings. Almost all those settings I used from my Simple Internet Meter, and all of those where by user request. So the cleanmem mini monitor is all by user request of what is in there.

If I make the settings gui it will be a exe by itself as well.

Anyways I wont keep taking up space here, and I will try to have an update out in the next day or so :-D

Take care!

Shane

(About Shane)

To prevent that interference I disabled autorun in Task Scheduler and run CM 151 manually during idle. Simple and easy to use -- I'm contented without GUI and monitor. :)

I have a single core Celeron 440 and 2GB RAM.

To prevent that interference I disabled autorun in Task Scheduler and run CM 151 manually during idle. Simple and easy to use -- I'm contented without GUI and monitor. :)

I have a single core Celeron 440 with 2GB RAM.

:-)

Just so you know, cleanmem.exe in 1.6.5 is still the same from 1.5.1

Only the monitor was added, and the monitor is separate. So for any reason you lose 1.5.1 you can still get what you want with the new version :-)

I make a strong effort to keep both types of users happy. The users who love cleanmem as set it and forget it (No gui) and the ones you wanted a gui for so long.

Shane

(About Shane)

Hi Shane

I think that it would be a nice idea that whenever you are out with a new version that you`ll announce here

[of course if it is not too much of an inconvenience to you].

Thanks

Hi Shane

I think that it would be a nice idea that whenever you are out with a new version that you`ll announce here

[of course if it is not too much of an inconvenience to you].

Thanks

I sure will :-)

Once I jack my self up full of caffeine I will be starting work on it today after I finish today's batch of routers for the simple port forwarding program. Having a wife and 4 kids makes me pay the price for staying up late programming. Little sleep :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

I know I should post this in my cleanmem forum, But I need the feedback :-P

I am revamping how cleanmem handles the settings for v1.7.0. And in turn I am making a gui for the settings.

I have attached some screen shots of the first run of it.

How does it look so far?

Shane

post-21189-0-80988400-1294447441_thumb.png

post-21189-0-47228300-1294447445_thumb.png

post-21189-0-74720100-1294447448_thumb.png

post-21189-0-38471000-1294447452_thumb.png

(About Shane)

I am revamping how cleanmem handles the settings for v1.7.0. And in turn I am making a gui for the settings.

I have attached some screen shots of the first run of it.

How does it look so far?

Shane

It looks very good Shane.

The system file cache explanation could be a little hard for non-techies to follow. Maybe allow novices to skip the wizard altogether (eg use default settings) and allow users to manually enter the "advanced settings" section.

I'm Shane.

The system file cache explanation could be a little hard for non-techies to follow. Maybe allow novices to skip the wizard altogether (eg use default settings) and allow users to manually enter the "advanced settings" section.

The wizard wont be a automatic thing. it will be stored as CleanMem_Settings.exe

Instead of txt files I will make them into dat files, still editable in notepad. And cleanmem.exe will have a settings.ini file to tell it what needs to be used and which dat file to use if any.

The default will still be to install it and forget it. But if a user wants to change the settings will run CleanMem_Settings.exe

Shane

(About Shane)

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh by saying the discussion should take place on the PcWinTech.com forum. Because I violate my own opinion.

Concerning the upcoming CM 1.7.0:

-- About the System File Cache (SFC):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364218(v=vs.85).aspx

Perhaps you can suffice by simply stating something like ""Clearing the SFC will make memory available as well, for use by other programs. That includes the System File Cache itself when it needs more memory again"". Again: K.I.S.S.

-- During installation CM asks whether a shortcut should be made available for all users or the current user only. That's - IMO - the best spot to ask the user whether CM should always run once upon startup of Windows. Then the wizard knows where to place the startup shortcut to CM.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh by saying the discussion should take place on the PcWinTech.com forum. Because I violate my own opinion.

To me it would be disrespectful for me to come onto this forum and try to have others come to my forum. Just not the person I am. So for me posting here, where I can get feedback and make CleanMem better seems the best thing to do and not try to get more traffic to my site, I would rather earn that :-)

I made the clearing of the file cache from the same api as CacheSet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897561

The reason behind this was from my own reasons.

Every time I had my data backup to my external hard drive (Talking 300+GB of data) by system would go to a crawl (8GB of memory and WD black edition hard drives, in Raid 1). This might have been on XP at the time, can't remember if it was XP or 7.

When the system would slow down like that, anything I tried to do would take forever, and I would see my hard drive fully lit up.

Then I took a look at CacheSet and seen my file cache being huge!

And doing anything was causing tons of hard drive thrashing. (Dont know 100% why, perhaps the file cache was partially in the page file?)

Then I used CacheSet to clear it, and bang! my system was back to normal without the reboot!

So I decided I wanted this to happen regularly and I went did the research and added it to CleanMem.

Want to know a nice trick I do on my system now? Even with CleanMem clearing it, after a large backup my system still gets slow, with CleanMem it doesn't get any where near as slow as it use to before the file cache clearing.

I have 8 GB of ram, and though to my self, I never use more than 2 GB, why have the curse of the page file? So I disable the page file.

Now after a large backup my system doesn't even hiccup. Seems to me the file cache does use the page file at times.

So clearing the file cache does help.

Concerning the upcoming CM 1.7.0:

-- About the System File Cache (SFC):

http://msdn.microsof...8(v=vs.85).aspx

Perhaps you can suffice by simply stating something like ""Clearing the SFC will make memory available as well, for use by other programs. That includes the System File Cache itself when it needs more memory again"". Again: K.I.S.S.

-- During installation CM asks whether a shortcut should be made available for all users or the current user only. That's - IMO - the best spot to ask the user whether CM should always run once upon startup of Windows. Then the wizard knows where to place the startup shortcut to CM.

I have added that to my to do list :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Just a thought.

If you disable the page file on the system drive, this will stop the ability of Windows to produce minidumps.

Correct, but the only time I would need that is if I get a blue screen. If my system becomes unstable I will re-enable the page file to get the mini dump. But then again I never use the mini dump in the first place :-)

Pro and cons to everything, for me the pros out weigh the cons when it comes to not having a page file.

But this is based on my system with my needs. Hard to tell what is right for other users.

Shane

(About Shane)

• Moderators

Comes down to personal choice I guess and technical ability. It's good to have a minidump after a BSOD to analize. Of course you don't need a very big page file to produce one :)

If a member is having blue screens you can just ask them to download 'Who crashed' to give some clues. I favour WinDbg myself but it can be a bit daunting for new users.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Comes down to personal choice I guess and technical ability. It's good to have a minidump after a BSOD to analize. Of course you don't need a very big page file to produce one :)

If a member is having blue screens you can just ask them to download 'Who crashed' to give some clues. I favour WinDbg myself but it can be a bit daunting for new users.

Your right. I have 15 years in computers and own an computer repair company now for 8 years. So for me I can get away with no page file.

And if for some reason I do start getting blue screens I can always re-enable the page file.

Again though, this is simply fitting my needs. I would only recommend getting rid of the page file if the user has enough ram, and knows how to turn the page file on & off. Granted I haven't had a blue screen or infection for over 5 years. My opinion is a little biased on this.

For me, getting rid of the page file eliminated the hard drive thrashing after very large (in size and in count) files during the backup process, or when backing up a customers machine to my hard drive across the network.

Cleanmem however helps keeps this under control with clearing the file cache. I don't need to disable my page file thanks to cleanmem. This is more for me wanting to push a little more out of my system. Mainly when I am in the middle of programming or working I hate it when the system starts to become sluggish because I have a customers machine backing up to my system while I work. :-)

Also thanks for letting me know about those tools. I always used the event viewer and recent changes to a system to find the cause of blue screens. I will be adding those tools to my toolbox :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

CleanMem v1.7.0 is ready for testing :-)

Feedback would be great! I need to know if you like the changes, likes, dislikes, if the new version is good, all that good stuff.

This version isn't released yet as I want people to try it out first.

Here is the download link

http://www.pcwintech.com/files/setups/cleanmem_v1.7.0_setup.exe

And here is the Change log:

v1.7.0

Major update. Make sure to uninstall any old versions of CleanMem first.

CleanMem is now 3.5x faster. CleanMem use to take 3.5 sec to do its job and close. It now takes 1 sec.

Update to the mini monitor to show actual percentage of memory use. This shows up in the tooltip text of the system tray icon. Since the tray icon can only fit 2 chars the percentage is rounded. But in the tooltip it will show the current. Example: 35.635%

The system tray icon only changes when the percentage changes. When a user would update the colors of the try icon the change wouldn't happen till then. Now when a user changes anything for the system tray icon it will update immediately.

Added global hotkey support to the mini monitor. The user can now set what keys to hit to run CleanMem.

Added a GUI for the settings of CleanMem. CleanMem now stores all settings in one ini file instead of multiple text files.

Minor tweaks and fine tuning to the mini monitor.

CleanMem setup now auto detects if a system is 32 or 64 bit and selects the correct install option during setup.

CleanMem setup support silent installs.

Shane

(About Shane)

• Moderators

Please copy paste the url presented above, also to our less skilled readers, this should be considered a beta and not for general download.

Shane can I delete old files from system32 (cleanmem_ignore_list.txt, cleanmem_log_settings.txt cleanmem_only_list.txt) as they are now stored in CleanMem.ini? Also, what is "CleanMem.exe.manifest" and do I need it?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com