Recovering WAV file names

Jezston

Hi - I recently accidentally deleted a huge swathe of WAV files (thought they were temp files, turns out they were referenced by all my projects, thus breaking a ton of my work!) and emptied recycle bin. Yikes!

Recuva has found them, but it has listed all the filenames as names like $RUZUDSX.wav, $IE4ZNAQR.wav etc rather than the original file names that were much longer and descriptive of the content.

Is there any way to recover them with their original filenames?

• Moderators

Not easily. These are the names that Vista and 7 gives to the files when they are relocated to the recycler. the $I names are index entries, 544 bytes long, and can be ignored, the $R names are the data and should be recovered.

The original file names have been lost. Whether you could recover the $R and $I pairs (they both have the same set of chars and extension) to the recycler and then use Windows to restore them is, at a guess, doubtful, but you could try. Or you could fire up a hex editor and look at bytes at offset 24-253 in the $I file to extract the file name. Yes, that'll be an interesting exercise.