Problems with Windows Updates - Microsoft blames CCleaner

Peda

Dear members,

I am using CCleaner on different computers in Windows 8.1. I keep on encounterings problems with Windows updates, at some point they just do not install anymore, neither automatically nor manually. I have tried everything I could think of, to repair this issue, but nothing works - at least nothing I could think of or I have read about (even resoring the system to a certain point in the past did not work anymore). The updates will be downloaded and then the computer fries while installing. It's always the same.

So I called the Microsoft support, they told me a lot of things to try, nothing worked. In the end, they blamed CCleaner for being responsible, which they said is known for causing this kind of troubles.

SInce then (about a month ago) I stopped using CCleaner completely and I did not encounter any problems with WIndows update. But I do not feel like leaving all those traces on my computers.

So my question is, can anybody tell me how to do the settings right on CCleaner to not have troubles with microsoft updates? I do not change the settings of the free ccleaner, when I use it and I usually did the Cleaning AND the registry Cleaning.

I appreciate any help! Tnaks a lot in advance!

Bests

Pedda

• Moderators

Stop cleaning the registry.

If you have CCleaner set to clean on shutdown or startup, then stop doing it as some updates are stored in a temp area until the reboot when they get fully installed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Also if you see cleaners in it that end with an asterick such as: Some Program*

That would mean you're also using a winapp2.ini file (either from this forum or elsewhere) which will be installed in the same directory as CCleaner.exe, and you may want to look through it for anything that you may need to remove from it.

Stop cleaning the registry.

If you have CCleaner set to clean on shutdown or startup, then stop doing it as some updates are stored in a temp area until the reboot when they get fully installed.

I agree regarding the cleaning of the registry. (Does CC allow the registry to be cleaned upon startup without human interference ??)

I also disagree. Windows places the files for the updates in the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder and from that folder the updates are installed. Unless one let CC wipe that folder as well, using CC shouldn't have an impact on the Windows Updates.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

Willy while I may agree with that to a certain extent (note I said some updates)  have a read of this thread here (all of it!)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b65af122-f4db-4053-a22d-f2b1081cc01e/windows-update-temporary-folder-location

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Also if you see cleaners in it that end with an asterick such as: Some Program*

That would mean you're also using a winapp2.ini file (either from this forum or elsewhere) which will be installed in the same directory as CCleaner.exe, and you may want to look through it for anything that you may need to remove from it.

Hi there, thanks for the help. I do not understand, what you mean though. Are you talking about cleaning the registry? I thought I should not do thath at all. If you are talking about the regular cleaning, where do I find those astericks? When I analyse it does not show any.

Please allow another question: Using the Cleaner, is it safe to use al the default settings for it - even in system? Can I clean the windows log files  and temporary files without encountering problems with windows updates?

Please allow another question: Using the Cleaner, is it safe to use al the default settings for it - even in system? Can I clean the windows log files  and temporary files without encountering problems with windows updates?

it is safe unless under certain circumstances

here what i do and suggest you to follow

clean on the next start

if you schedule ccleaner to run on startup or shutdown, disable until next start

• Moderators

Hi there, thanks for the help. I do not understand, what you mean though. Are you talking about cleaning the registry? I thought I should not do thath at all. If you are talking about the regular cleaning, where do I find those astericks? When I analyse it does not show any.

If you're using a winapp2.ini file they'll show up in the large Cleaner button area, and the cleaners will have an asterisk after them, such as these examples:

post-26-0-93719300-1413184098_thumb.png

If you don't see any of those it means you aren't using a winapp2.ini file and can ignore my posts about it. If you do however see asterisks after any of the cleaners untick them to see if that fixes the problem you're having.