defraggler adding sys files?

Norrie

Each time I run defraggler my used space seems to build up. It is in 3 system files which are now 8.0GB 7.8GB and 7.4GB.

I only have about 35GB used by windows, programs, and other files. But it says 58GB are in use and that the drive is 44% fragmented. Only those three are fragmented.

I am running win7 with 100GB on my C drive.

Any help would be appreciated

Hello Norrie and welcome to the forum. I have a strong suspicion of what the problem is and I would like you to verify it.  Go here and download TreeSize Free: http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ This is a software utility that will allow you to analyze your disk usage and see exactly which files are using the most space on your disk. Just be aware that when you run it, you should right click the desktop shortcut and select "Run as Administrator".

Once you have the results displayed, take a close look at the section marked System Volume Information. Does the amount displayed there roughly correspond to the 23GB of excess data that you're looking for? If so, then it's your system restore points that are causing the problem. You've probably let them accumulate for far too long, and you've probably allocated a very high percentage of your disk space to be used by System Protection.

If this is the case, the solution is this: Go to Control Panel > All > Recovery > Configure System Restore. Click the tab marked System Protection, then click the Configure button. First, delete all of your current restore points. Second, use the slider to select a more reasonable percentage of disk space to be used, and click Apply. Third, create a new system restore point to replace all the previous ones.

Just a word of caution before you go ahead and delete all of your existing system restore points: You must first verify that you don't need them. To do this, right click and open the Command Prompt, and select "Run as Administrator". Then use the sfc command to verify that none of your Windows system files are corrupted or missing. The correct syntax is "sfc /scannow". This will take about 15-20 minutes to run, and if no problems are detected, the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" will appear. If you see a message that indicates anything else, do not delete your existing restore points and post back to this topic for advice on how to proceed.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

When I went to check on the restore points. I found it was turned off. This machine has never made restore points since I got in in Feb 2011.

In October I had to do a system restore because a word doc would not save nor delete and when I rebooted it would not reboot. When I tried to do a repair it wouldn't do it so I did a complete sys restore.

I run the tree size

Used Space 62.3 GB

System Files 27.5 GB

three of them are really large (8.0GB, 7.8GB and 7.8GB)

Windows 19.2 GB

Ran the Admin, CMD, SFC Scan

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them

Details are included in the CBS.log

windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log

what next.

Norrie

Hello Norrie - I think it would be a good idea to fix your corrupt/missing system files first, then figure out what to do about the 23GB or so of files you cannot account for.

Right click and open the Command Prompt to run as System Adminstrator, then enter the following three commands one at a time, allowing each one to finish before starting the next:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth 

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Here's an explanation of what each one does:

/CheckHealth - This switch option only checks to see if a component corruption marker is already present in the registry. It is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. It does not fix anything or create a log. This should be finished almost instantaneous.

/ScanHealth - This switch option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This is useful for only logging what, if any, corruption exists. This should take around 5-10 minutes to finish.

/RestoreHealth - (recommended) This switch option checks for component store corruption, records the corruption to the log file, and FIXES the image corruption using Windows Update. This should take around 10-15 minutes up to about an hour to finish depending on the level of corruption

Hello Norrie and hazelnut - This is strange. This morning I tried running the three dism commands on my Win 7 Prox64 machine to verify they all worked, and found only the second one(/ScanHealth) still works. Yet I swear about 2 months ago they worked.

@Norrie - Don't do anything with the dism command until I can figure this out.

@hazelnut - I just noticed a thread you posted this morning: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=42485

I installed update KB3004394 on 12/9. I read in your post that it may affect Windows update. From what I've read, the dism command uses Windows update to download and replace missing/corrupted system files when it finds them. Do you think this is why the dism command is no longer working on my machine?

I checked and the KB3004394 was not among the updates I have installed

I ran the three commands

/CheckHealth

The CheckHealth option is not recognized in this context.  For more information refer to the help.

went back to C: Prompt then had     Error 8

/ScanHealth  Took about 10 mn

Completed running ScanHealth successfully check log at %windir%\logs\checksur.log

/RestoreHealth

The RestoreHealth option is not recognized in this context. For more information refer to the help.

I have no idea what the heck I am doing LOL What Help?

I have figured out what DISM stands for :)

• Moderators

As some dism commands didn't work on your Win 7 (I had a suspicion they wouldn't ) and a system file check that you did found errors it couldn't fix have you considered doing a repair install (also known as an in-place upgrade) which will repair your Windows files but leave all your docs intact.

It may be an option to consider. You don't need a Windows cd as you can download one but it must be the same bitness and type (eg Home or Pro with or without SP1) as was on the machine when you got it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

From what you are saying.

In order to do a Repair Install I need a disk but can download that from the Seven Forum?

I have nothing on the machine that I cannot reinstall that from a disk.

So I am not worried about saving my files  All others are stored on another drive

I could do a System Restore. But will it wipe the bad files off?

Can I do a Restore / Repair? even though I do not have Restore Points?

I also have a Files Backup, that Win7 kept nagging me to make, would that help?

• Moderators

You cannot do a system restore if you have no system restore points I'm afraid.

A system repair from a disc does not depend on you having restore points.

If as you say you have nothing that you would mind losing (as you have it saved on another drive) why not just restore to the factory settings on your machine?

What is your operating system?

What is your machine and did it come with Win 7 ready installed?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I could do a System Restore. But will it wipe the bad files off?

All depends on what files were in the system restore 'snap shot'.

Certainly there won't be any personal files and only a handful of system files are included - files needed to boot the system or go back to a point before an update for example.

Not all Windows system files are included in a restore point.

But as you state, and @hazelnut has highlighted, this is all irrelevant as you had that feature turned off.

The Windows 7 offered backup may indeed help if you had it set to include a system image of the drive.

From your TreeSize exercise, what were the names of these 3 large system files?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

It should have a hidden partition with a stored recovery image on it where you can restore your machine to how it was the day you first bought it. Depending on which E-machine model you have will dictate which key you have to press when the machine starts booting to start it off. (Will be easy to Google this )

What makes you think you have no system restore points?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

But as you state, and @hazelnut has highlighted, this is all irrelevant as you had that feature turned off.

The Windows 7 offered backup may indeed help if you had it set to include a system image of the drive.

From your TreeSize exercise, what were the names of these 3 large system files?

Actually this machine had the Restore Points turned off since I got it. I turned them on recently when this problem started.

In Oct. I was working on a Word Doc. When I went to save it I could not save nor delete it. After some trying I rebooted and the machine would not reboot. I tried a system repair but it wouldn't do that either so I did a full restore to factory default. Before that restore I had 45GB on the C drive. After all the downloads and updates etc (two days work) There was 32GB.

Then about mid Nov I noticed there was about 35GB and it was about 10% fragmented. So I ran a defrag with Defraggler and there was suddenly 38GB and it was 14% fragmented. ??? 

Each time I ran Defraggler this went up, that is why I came to this forum.

This has since grown to 63GB.

I only have 100GB of space on the C drive so I am concerned.

The Tree Size shows the problem is 3 Sys Files that are names with a long string of numbers/letters.