MUICache not wiped, could be?

tray

Hi!

I am a happy user of CCleaner, my version is 2.08.588, I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I recently discovered that all the programs I started got listed in the registry at MUICache

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

My problem is, I do not want to have a history of the programs I started.

I've read some forum posts and learned that this is a multilangual feature, and it does no harm if I delete its contents.

There's a MUICache checkbox on the CCleaner GUI, but I guess it "just" checks if the paths are correct.

What I am asking for is an option to clear the entries in the MUICache registry folder. To make it more configurable, it would be a useful option to have a custom list of registry entries to delete, just like we have for files and folders.

Thanks

Hi!

I am a happy user of CCleaner, my version is 2.08.588, I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I recently discovered that all the programs I started got listed in the registry at MUICache

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

My problem is, I do not want to have a history of the programs I started.

I've read some forum posts and learned that this is a multilangual feature, and it does no harm if I delete its contents.

There's a MUICache checkbox on the CCleaner GUI, but I guess it "just" checks if the paths are correct.

What I am asking for is an option to clear the entries in the MUICache registry folder. To make it more configurable, it would be a useful option to have a custom list of registry entries to delete, just like we have for files and folders.

Thanks

Hello Tray,

The Registry location that you have specified has nothing to do with what you want to do.

Do not mess with it.

What you have referred to has to do with "strings " of descriptive data that can be used for English and other languages.

Please remember that MUI has to do with computer languages as well.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com

Save this link for your reference. See the topic Cleaner Information.

The option that you seek already exists at Cleaner > Windows tab > Advanced list > User Assist History.

Turn this option on and each time that you run the Cleaner the history list of programs run,# of times,date last run etc. will be removed.The list will automatically start to be built again by Windows.

The list of Most recently/frequently used programs will disappear from the Start menu.

I am unsure what effect this may have to other functions in Windows.

This list can be hidden by other means but the list will still exist.

To hide the list on the Start menu use right click on Start > Customize > Programs box > set Number of programs on Start menu to 0 .

This will eliminate the list from showing until changed to some other value.

I advise all inexperienced users to not use the Advanced cleaning options as they are for certain specific uses and will have effects that you may not desire.They truly are for Advanced users for specific reasons.

Take the time to learn more about these items through the reading of the forums and the use of Wikipedia.

They do not improve the performance of your system.

Good luck,

:) davey

Edited by davey

Hello Tray,

The Registry location that you have specified has nothing to do with what you want to do.

Do not mess with it.

What you have referred to has to do with "strings " of descriptive data that can be used for English and other languages.

Please remember that MUI has to do with computer languages as well.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com

Save this link for your reference. See the topic Cleaner Information.

The option that you seek already exists at Cleaner > Windows tab > Advanced list > User Assist History.

Turn this option on and each time that you run the Cleaner the history list of programs run,# of times,date last run etc. will be removed.The list will automatically start to be built again by Windows.

The list of Most recently/frequently used programs will disappear from the Start menu.

I am unsure what effect this may have to other functions in Windows.

This list can be hidden by other means but the list will still exist.

To hide the list on the Start menu use right click on Start > Customize > Programs box > set Number of programs on Start menu to 0 .

This will eliminate the list from showing until changed to some other value.

I advise all inexperienced users to not use the Advanced cleaning options as they are for certain specific uses and will have effects that you may not desire.They truly are for Advanced users for specific reasons.

Take the time to learn more about these items through the reading of the forums and the use of Wikipedia.

They do not improve the performance of your system.

Good luck,

:) davey

Hi davey,

Thanks for your quick reply. However, I am sure that cleaning the above registry location (and other MUIcache locations) is exactly what I want to do. Okay, maybe not cleaning the whole but removing specific entries.

I am aware of the recently run list in the Start menu and I have already disabled it.

My problem, again, is that when I run a program it leaves its trace in the registry in several places. COM interfaces, file extension associations, firewall settings, and also MUICache. Even if I uninstall the application, many of these entries will remain there.

Now I understand that this kind of keeping personal privacy is not the main goal of CCleaner, but in fact this functionality is what I need right now, and I thought it would make a feature suggestion. Actually, I was a bit suprised that CCleaner doesnt have this already :rolleyes:

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

I am just googling for the very same thing! In fact, this is how I came across this topic.

Can we expect that in the (near? :)) future this will be added to the CCleaner? Since there are, at least, two of us?

To be hones, I am also a bit disappointed, that, even thou there is an option in "Registy section" to check MUI Cache, some values are not wiped. Even thou phe path is incorrect - there are values pointing to my usb flashdrive which is no longer mounted.