CCleaner disabled my wireless connection! Help!

body_roq

Hi everyone.

I ran CCleaner on my father's PC just last night. He uses Windows XP SP2. It was a pretty big clean- it ended up removing around 5000MB of junk.

However, after I ran CCleaner the PC's wireless stopped working. And now, in the little wireless/LAN icon in the quicklaunch bar there's a yellow, triangular sign that says: "Status: Limited or No Connectivity".

I called my ISP's tech. support and we determined that the modem works fine. We just connected the Ethernet cable my (working) laptop and created a new connection, which worked. But, the wireless router was still disabled, which means everybody in the house is without Internet. We concluded that the connection between the router and the modem has been broken. I'm positive that this occurred immediately after a CCleaner session.

I've done a System Restore and XP's "Last Known Good Configuration"- neither have worked. Not surprising since System Restore restores the configuration- not data changes (which is why I'm sure that CCleaner deleted something important).

I've been a user of CCleaner on my personal laptop for quite some time, but I'm not sure why it ended up ruined my father's wireless connection. I'm not trying to thrash CCleaner here- again, I'm a long-time user, and a big fan of it. But I really think this should be addressed, and I'd appreciate any help I could get on the issue.

What kind of router is it, and what have you done to fix it? Is Windows used to configure the wireless connection, or software? If you connected using an ethernet cable it seems that the router itself is working fine, and communicating with the modem.

On your father's computer...go to:

start > run > type cmd > press enter

at the command prompt type ipconfig /all (note the space after ipconfig)

what does it say?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

What kind of router is it, and what have you done to fix it? Is Windows used to configure the wireless connection, or software? If you connected using an ethernet cable it seems that the router itself is working fine, and communicating with the modem.

On your father's computer...go to:

start > run > type cmd > press enter

at the command prompt type ipconfig /all (note the space after ipconfig)

what does it say?

Thanks for the quick response, Krit.

Q: What kind of router is it?

A: It's a D-Link DI-514 wireless router.

Q: What have you done to fix it?

A: I haven't done anything to router specifically. Not yet, at least. Aside from the System Restore and the Last Known Config. attempt (neither of which worked)- nothing to the router. But all of the lights on the router are on, and flashing as they should be (as verified by the owner's manual and my ISP's tech. support).

Q: Is Windows used to configure the wireless connection, or software?

A: Windows, I believe. I called D-Link the other day (who recommended reformatting XP) and they told me that the router doesn't use any particular software. It's plug, configure, play.

As I mentioned before (and hopefully my post wasn't too confusing), modem's working, and so is the router- the two just don't seem to be "talking" anymore. :/

As for the Start>Run process, I did exactly what you said on my father's desktop PC (remember- this is the one that doesn't work anymore) with everything set up the way it should be. Here's what it says:

Host name................. : localhost

Primary Dns Suffix......:

Node Type:.................: Unknown

IP Routing Enabled......: No

WINS Proxy Enabled....: No

DNS Suffix Search List..: sympatico.ca

Ethernet adapter local Area Connection

Media state.................: Media disconnected

Description.................: Intel ? PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address.........: 00-0C-F1-C6-2A-D7

Ethernet adapter local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: sympatico.ca

Description............................: Speedstream Ethernet USB Adapter #2

Physical Address....................: 00-0B-23-5A-53-5F

Dhcp enabled.........................: No

IP address.............................: 192.xxx.2.2 (I blocked this out intentionally for security reasons)

Subnet Mask..........................: 255.255.xxx.0

Default Gateway.....................: 192.xxx.2.1

DNS Servers..........................: 192.xxx.2.1

But! When all I do is unplug the Ethernet cable from the router and into my personal laptop directly (remember- my dad has a deskptp PC, and I have an Acer notebook), I get this on my dad's PC:

Windows IP Configuration

Host name................. : localhost

Primary Dns Suffix......:

Node Type:.................: Unknown

IP Routing Enabled......: No

WINS Proxy Enabled....: No

DNS Suffix Search List..: sympatico.ca

sympatico.ca

Ethernet adapter local Area Connection

Description............................: Intel ? PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address....................: 00-0C-F1-C6-2A-D7

Dhcp Enabled.........................: Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled.......: Yes

IP Address.............................: 192.xxx.0.100

Default Gateway....................: 192.xxx.0.100

DHCP Server..........................: 192.xxx.0.1

DNS Servers..........................: 192.xxx.0.1

Lease Obtained.......................: (Date omitted)

Lease Expires.........................: (Date omitted- still valid)

Ethernet adapter local Area Connection 4:

Description............................: Speedstream Ethernet USB Adapter #2

Physical Address....................: 00-0B-23-5A-53-5F

Dhcp enabled.........................: No

IP address.............................: 192.xxx.2.2

Default Gateway.....................: 192.xxx.2.1

DNS Servers..........................: 192.xxx.2.1

Any ideas?

Try unplugging the power for about 5 minutes. Just to see if something funky happened and it just happened to coincide with you running CCleaner. I really can't figure what CCleaner would have deleted that would have affected the router.

AJ

Try unplugging the power for about 5 minutes. Just to see if something funky happened and it just happened to coincide with you running CCleaner. I really can't figure what CCleaner would have deleted that would have affected the router.

AJ

That was actually one of the first things I tried- no luck. :(

First: Making Sure You Have Correct IP Information

Make sure you have the correct IP scheme for your network. This would include the:

* IP Address

* Subnet Mask

* Default Gateway

* DNS Servers

There are a few ways you can see what IP addresses are being assigned.

But generally for:

Win9x - Start / Run / command

Windows2000/XP - Start / Run / cmd

The run IPCONFIG /ALL.

--

IP Address:

If you have a router, common examples would be:

192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x

If you are directly connect to your DSL or Cable Modem, you should have an IP address that would correspond to something from your ISP.

What you don't want to have is something like 169.254.x.x. This means you are not getting and IP address assigned and needs to be resolved first.

4. Subnet Mask:

Also make sure you have the correct Subnet Mask. Most commonly this would be 255.255.255.0

5. Default Gateway:

Make sure you have the correct Default Gateway IP address.

With a router, this is typically the IP address of your router.

6. DNS Servers:

Make sure you have the correct DNS Servers.

Sometimes this is the IP address of your router, so it would be the same as the Gateway IP.

Sometimes (as in this example), it is the actual DNS servers used by the ISP.

7. Possible causes for not getting an IP address assigned are:

1. Defective cable, network card or port on the router. Make sure you are using all known working components.

2. Your router is not configured for DHCP (which would automatically be assigning IP addresses).

--

I did notice you mentioned this ... "IP address.............................: 192.xxx.2.2 (I blocked this out intentionally for security reasons)" -- this may be your problem. Try unblocking your router's IP address, then connect to the internet. If this solves you problem, voul?! Glad I could help. ;)

I did notice you mentioned this ... "IP address.............................: 192.xxx.2.2 (I blocked this out intentionally for security reasons)" -- this may be your problem. Try unblocking your router's IP address, then connect to the internet. If this solves you problem, voul?! Glad I could help. ;)

He means he censored it from the post. I assume it's because he does not know enough about networking to know that is his internal IP address and none of us can access it. My internal IP address is 192.168.0.101, but for other people that is either invalid or the address to another computer on their network.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone.

I ran CCleaner on my father's PC just last night. He uses Windows XP SP2. It was a pretty big clean- it ended up removing around 5000MB of junk.

However, after I ran CCleaner the PC's wireless stopped working. And now, in the little wireless/LAN icon in the quicklaunch bar there's a yellow, triangular sign that says: "Status: Limited or No Connectivity".

I called my ISP's tech. support and we determined that the modem works fine. We just connected the Ethernet cable my (working) laptop and created a new connection, which worked. But, the wireless router was still disabled, which means everybody in the house is without Internet. We concluded that the connection between the router and the modem has been broken. I'm positive that this occurred immediately after a CCleaner session.

I've done a System Restore and XP's "Last Known Good Configuration"- neither have worked. Not surprising since System Restore restores the configuration- not data changes (which is why I'm sure that CCleaner deleted something important).

I've been a user of CCleaner on my personal laptop for quite some time, but I'm not sure why it ended up ruined my father's wireless connection. I'm not trying to thrash CCleaner here- again, I'm a long-time user, and a big fan of it. But I really think this should be addressed, and I'd appreciate any help I could get on the issue.

I have had it do the same thing and had a terrible time getting the notebook's wireless setup working again.

That's not why I'm upset with CCleaner, however, I just had v. 2.08.588 install the Yahoo! toolbar w/o giving me the option not to install it. I'm posting about that elsewhere. I just happened to see your comment about the wireless connection and thought I'd let you know you aren't alone.

I just had v. 2.08.588 install the Yahoo! toolbar w/o giving me the option not to install it. I'm posting about that elsewhere.

You must have missed it. Version 2.08.588 gave me the Yahoo install option.

• 1 year later...

Hello forum,

operating an ACER Extensa 2900 with WinXP SP3. Installed CCleaner v2.22.968. Made restore backup.

Runned CC and realized that CC is disconnecting power for Intel WLAN card during registry cleaner processes.

Was unable to reconnect power - even not with the switch of the PC.

Restored last workable backup - Intel WLAN card has power again. Switch work.

Not runned any cleaner session yet. I guess that

Has anybody ideas and/or realized similiar issues ?

;)