CCleaner Setting Defaults

SF_Bev

I reset CCleaner's settings and unchecked almost everything. Now I'd like to set it back to its default settings, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Can somebody tell me which boxes are checked/unchecked when CCleaner is run the first time after it's installed? Thanks in advance for any help. ;)

Bev

I reset CCleaner's settings and unchecked almost everything. Now I'd like to set it back to its default settings, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Can somebody tell me which boxes are checked/unchecked when CCleaner is run the first time after it's installed? Thanks in advance for any help. ;)

Bev

i can understand your pain

and it would be very nice to have a box to check for going back to default settings

hope CCleaner will include that soon

• Moderators

Hi guys, and welcome to Piriform.

I think the easiest way to get back to the default settings, is to go into CCleaners Program Files folder (C:\Program Files\CCleaner), and delete the "ccleaner.ini" file, which keeps your various configurations.

Basically, it's all checkboxes in the Advanced section cleared, and everything else checked apart from the obvious ones you know you personally want unchecked.

Deleting that file, would also lose any "includes" or "excludes" you have, or any cookies kept. In that case, rename the CCleaner file to "ccleaner_mod.ini" for example, re-launch CCleaner, check out the settings, maybe take a screenshot.

Change "ccleaner_mod.ini" back to "ccleaner.ini", and then redo the checkboxes based on your screenshot.

In the registry section it's all boxes checked, although you don't have to use that section if you aren't sure. If you do use it, please make sure you follow the CCleaner dialogue, and make a backup.

And yes absolutely. A "default" button would be helpful to many people, including me after trying to accurately answer this one. :)

Also check out the Piriform Docs site for guides to all Piriform software. Link in my signature.

Hi guys, and welcome to Piriform.

I think the easiest way to get back to the default settings, is to go into CCleaners Program Files folder (C:\Program Files\CCleaner), and delete the "ccleaner.ini" file, which keeps your various configurations.

Basically, it's all checkboxes in the Advanced section cleared, and everything else checked apart from the obvious ones you know you personally want unchecked...

etc.

Thanks so much! Just what I was looking for! I'll request a "Restore Defaults" button. I wasn't sure if there was one and I wasn't seeing it.

Bev

Dennis, I just tried what you suggested and it worked just fine.

Pretty slick. B)

If I may add this to your advise. The check box for save all settings to INI file needs to be checked before you can do this.

Options > Advanced > Save all settings to INI file.

I've been following this discussion because I had the same problem as SF Bev: I wanted to get CCleaner back to its default settings.

I'm not very experienced and therefore had some trouble with the suggestions here. I ended up uninstalling the program, reinstalling it, and immediately taking note of the defaults, as follows.

CCleaner, v 2.19.900

Default Settings

Settings below are listed button by button, divided by lines.

Cleaner Button,

Windows Tab

INTERNET EXPLORER

All are checked except for the last one listed, "autocomplete form history"

WINDOWS EXPLORER

All are checked

SYSTEM

Most are checked except for the last 3, "Windows Error Reporting," "Start Menu Shortcuts," and "Desktop Shortcuts."

ADVANCED

All are unchecked.

Cleaner Button,

Applications Tab

FIREFOX/MOZILLA

Most are checked except for the last one listed, "Saved Form Information"

APPLICATIONS

All are checked:

Adobe Reader 8.0

MS Office Picture Manager

Office 2003

INTERNET

One listing, Sun Java, which is checked

MULTIMEDIA

Both are checked:

Adobe Flash Player

Windows Media Player

UTILITIES

Both are checked:

Spybot Search & Destroy

Windows Defender

WINDOWS

All are checked

Registry Button

Registry Integrity

All are checked

Tools Button

No buttons present

Options Button

SETTINGS

In the list with 4 check boxes, only the 2 middle options are checked:

Add "Run CCleaner" option &

Add "Open CCleaner..." option

Also, "Normal file deletion" is selected

ADVANCED

2 options are selected:

1st - Only delete files in Windows Temp ...

4th - Show prompt to backup ...

Note: This discussion suggests another Advanced option should be checked as well, the last, "Save all settings to INI file."