Ccleaner not clearing firefox history (Namoroka)

Toggie

Hi, I've been using CCleaner for quite some time and never had any issues, but with the last two builds (including 2.23.993) I've noticed that it has stopped cleaning the history if firefox. This may simply be a by product of my installation, but I'd like to make sure.

I'm currently using the Nightly zipped builds of firefox 3.6a2pre (Namoroka) with Ccleaner 2.23.993. Ccleaner identifies firefox and the option to clear history is ticked. It seems to clear the cache, cookies etc. successfully, just not history.

Thank you for any help.

Hi DennisD, thanks for the reply. I'm actually referring to browsing (Internet) history, not the location bar. In Ccleaner/Applications I have all the check boxes ticked, apart from form history. When I run Ccleaner, it detects fx and purges the cache, cookies and download history correctly, however, it leaves the 'Internet History' untouched. The only way I can remove this data currently is by using the fx internal clean option.

If it helps, my profile is not in the default location and I don't use the installer builds; but as I said, Ccleaner is working correctly for other data.

Thanks

• Moderators

I didn't take too much notice of Firefox in my CCleaner as I don't use it very often, but I think this is what you're talking about:

02aa1acf019.jpg

Yours isn't the only one appearing not to be cleaned.

This has to be due to the Firefox History and Bookmarks both being in one file now, "places.sqlite".

I don't have an answer for you, except to say I always clear my browsing history when I close Firefox, which appears to be a good idea at the moment with FF 3.5.2.

EDIT: After enabling all browser history in Firefox, although that particular item isn't displayed, as in the screenshot, it is still cleared.

As I say, I don't use Firefox much, and this is the first time I've had a close look at what happens if browsing history isn't set to be cleared within Firefox, but it is definitely cleared, although not displayed in the "Analyze/Run CCleaner" window.

Hi, thanks again for the update. I too see the same information displayed in Ccleaner, which in my case, is almost correct. The check box is ticked for Internet History but following a clean there is no indication that the history has been cleaned. This is exactly what happens on my machine and has been happening for a while now.

Since yesterday, I have run Ccleaner several times but I still have three days of history available in the browser. I have purposely let the history grow so that I may observer Ccleaner's behaviour.

I'll do some further tests in a VM, using standard firefox builds, both the installable and zip variety. I'll also use the installer and zip builds of Ccleaner as I prefer the zip build.

Ok, from what I can see Ccleaner works fine with firefox 3.5.2, aside from the information displayed after a clean, which is missing the History item. Basically it clears what it's asked to clear. It doesn't, however, work completely, with firefox 3.6x or 3.7x. It clears some things but not history.

I hope that helps.

• Moderators

After checking that out, it's the fact that your profile isn't in the default install location causing the problem.

CCleaner won't go looking for it, as it's wired to default locations and that's it.

And with Mozilla placing History and Bookmarks in the same "places.sqlite" file, deleting this manually via CCleaners "Include" feature would remove your bookmarks as well. I mention that just in case you think of doing it that way.

After checking it out again, you can delete the "places.sqlite" file to clear history manually by using CCleaners "Include" feature. Firefox immediately creates a new "places.sqlite" file with your bookmarks replaced intact from "Bookmarkbackups", although you lose your favicons.

I would simply rename or move the "places.sqlite" file to test this with your newer version of Firefox first to be sure it's the same as 3.5.2.

The non display in the CCleaner window I can't explain I'm afraid.

Hi DennisD. Thanks for the reply.

After checking that out, it's the fact that your profile isn't in the default install location causing the problem.

Unfortunately, that's incorrect. To ensure my previous assumptions regarding the problem being firefox version specific, I just created a new profile using a zipped build of firefox 3.5.2, in the same directory structure as my firefox 3.6 and 3.7 profiles. After launching the browser and creating a history, I used CCleaner and it worked correctly. I then tried the process on a new firefox 3.6 profile and it didn't. Please don't forget, CCleaner has no problem finding the profile for 3.6 as it quite happily cleans everything but the history.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...