Defraggler Way Too Slow

Don Baechtel

:o Defraggler can take over 24 hours to defrag a 150 GB disk that has already been defragged that is only 37% full !!! :o

It will spend several hours in the same location defragging the Freespace :(

I have never seen a defrag program run so slowly. :(

It spends nearly 50% of the time doing nothing, neither reading nor writing. :(

After running the defraggler to completion, which may take more than 24 hours, if I run the dfraggler again, it will spend more than 12 hours doing more work !!! If it is properly dfragged in the first run, what is it doing on the second run ??? :blink::blink:

It would be a GREAT program if only it ran to completion in a reasonable mount of time.

You have got to be kidding me with the performance of this utility.

This program is in BETA... :lol:

And this program is mainly for defragmenting single files easily. Didn't you read the description? It lets you "quickly and simply defrag the files you want to, without having to process the whole drive."

...Actually, I find that Defraggler is one of the fastest defraggers out

there - much faster than most of the competition. But then I usually

defrag my drives daily, so they never get too fragmented anyway... :)

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW...

I tend to hammer systems by making repeated edits of large files so my drives become fragmented very quickly, and I've been looking for a decent defragger for some years. The MS-supplied defragmenter is pretty well useless, IMHO.

I used Defraggler on a 136G NTFS drive under XP PRO SP2 to defrag all the files it reported as fragmented the first time and then analyzed using Disk Defragmenter, which kept showing a report of fragmented files that turned out to be folders (and Disk Defragmenter doesn't even try to defragment those).

I gave Defraggler the folder names and it defragmented them very rapidly. I followed up with another Disk Defragmenter analysis, and the "files" no longer showed up as fragmented. A few rounds of that and I ended up with a drive that even Disk Defragmenter reported as unfragmented (although the free space was fragmented).

Done in a fraction of the time that Disk Defragmenter takes.

I've also tried Diskeeper, Norton Systemworks (back in 2000 Norton's product was good, but it's been adulterated since then), O and O Defrag Pro, and PerfectDisk, and Defraggler comes out best in my estimation.

Personally, I don't care if the free space is fragmented - I'm not so much a perfectionist that I want my drives pristine at all times :)

So my only niggle is that the default Analysis only seems to check for fragmented files; if it also highlighted fragmented folders as well (so that I didn't have to explicitly go looking for those with another tool), or alternatively gave a choice to defrag the entire drive including folders plus/minus free space, I'd be a very happy camper :)

There are very few pieces of software that impress me, but Defraggler is now part of that select group.

Best,

Peter

Hello Ancient Brit,

Ancient Brit "I've also tried Diskeeper, Norton Systemworks (back in 2000 Norton's product was good, but it's been adulterated since then), O and O Defrag Pro, and PerfectDisk, and Defraggler comes out best in my estimation."

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the great report.

It really helps to hear reports from users like you, that do a lot of Defragging like you do on a daily basis.I am sure there are many others like you but you took the extra time to report.

There are some really "defrag savy" users that reply to the negative posts and they must be thanked also for their active membership and knowledge sharing.

We all benefit from your reports and replies.

Thank you all very much!!! :D:D:D

:) davey

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the great report.

It really helps to hear reports from users like you, that do a lot of Defragging like you do on a daily basis.I am sure there are many others like you but you took the extra time to report.

There are some really "defrag savy" users that reply to the negative posts and they must be thanked also for their active membership and knowledge sharing.

We all benefit from your reports and replies.

Thank you all very much!!! :D:D:D

:) davey

Ta very much :)

Add to the list of also-rans: UltraDefrag (open source but not as good IMHO). Not to pit one group of developers with good intentions against another, of course.

Now if I can just find a decent drive copying utility that can handle the dates for folders correctly under XP without requiring two passes... :)

Best,

Peter

I noticed that Defraggler had started to run very slowly at times, after an initially stellar performance, but when I ran it in debug mode (which I now do as standard) I couldn't see anything obviously wrong.

So I scheduled a drive check and lo! it came to pass that there were bad clusters...

That may be one bit of housekeeping anyone who's having problems with slow performance might like to perform, just to exclude the usual suspects :)

HTH,

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
FWIW...

I tend to hammer systems by making repeated edits of large files so my drives become fragmented very quickly, and I've been looking for a decent defragger for some years. The MS-supplied defragmenter is pretty well useless, IMHO.

I used Defraggler on a 136G NTFS drive under XP PRO SP2 to defrag all the files it reported as fragmented the first time and then analyzed using Disk Defragmenter, which kept showing a report of fragmented files that turned out to be folders (and Disk Defragmenter doesn't even try to defragment those).

I gave Defraggler the folder names and it defragmented them very rapidly. I followed up with another Disk Defragmenter analysis, and the "files" no longer showed up as fragmented. A few rounds of that and I ended up with a drive that even Disk Defragmenter reported as unfragmented (although the free space was fragmented).

Done in a fraction of the time that Disk Defragmenter takes.

I've also tried Diskeeper, Norton Systemworks (back in 2000 Norton's product was good, but it's been adulterated since then), O and O Defrag Pro, and PerfectDisk, and Defraggler comes out best in my estimation.

Personally, I don't care if the free space is fragmented - I'm not so much a perfectionist that I want my drives pristine at all times :)

So my only niggle is that the default Analysis only seems to check for fragmented files; if it also highlighted fragmented folders as well (so that I didn't have to explicitly go looking for those with another tool), or alternatively gave a choice to defrag the entire drive including folders plus/minus free space, I'd be a very happy camper :)

There are very few pieces of software that impress me, but Defraggler is now part of that select group.

Best,

Peter

Peter: I think you'll find that if you use Action/Defrag Folder... and then select as the folder

the drive that you want to defrag, you will get [at least partially] what you want: it will defrag

all the files and folders [that it can], but not defrag the freespace.

I also believe that Action/Defrag Drive (or effectively the same via the context menu) will

defrag files, folders and the freespace. Take your point re Analysis, though ! :mellow:

Defraggler too slow? Use it to only defrag a certain folder like everyone is mentioning.

As for me, I just recently reinstalled the classic game Deus Ex. It took what seemed like a very long time (15+ seconds) to load a level and it bothered me. But I just opened up Defraggler selected the folder and in 5 or less minutes it was done (790mb, can't remember how fragmented it was). Then I popped open Deus Ex and each level takes no more than 4 seconds to load and I'm giving it a lot of breathing room.

Instead of popping open Windows Defrag and waiting an hour or so to Defrag everything I just do what I want when I want with Defraggler. I got immediate results. I always hated paying for software and the last freeware Defrag program I used messed up my separate Vista partition. So if I calculate the time it took to reformat, reinstall Vista, defrag my whole hdd, I would say Defraggler is faster than the speed of light. Ho ho.

I haven't done any hard core testing, but I have seen a trend at about 60% completion or a little earlier, regardless of drive size. It slows way down when it hits 60% and I find if I stop the defrag, reanalyze, and start again, it flies.

Now I am seeing on larger drives (not necessarily more space taken up), a 2nd stop and reanalyze seems to be needed. I just noticed this, and I can't really confirm yet.

EDIT--> All are XP SP2 machines. Various flavors of HDD sizes, brands. Various flavors of Core Duo's.