Microsoft to deliver free upgrades to Windows 10

hazelnut

Nergal touched on this point briefly in post #13: You get to install and use Windows 10 for one year. My question is: And then what? I'm guessing it's either pay up to continue using Windows 10, or reinstall whatever version of Windows you had previously. I guess that Microsoft is betting the ranch on Windows 10's acceptance vs. Windows 7/8/8.1 and signing up a large majority of the people who take advantage of the trial offer.

Unfortunately, in the past, they also expected that Vista and Windows 8 would be wildly popular. We all know how that turned out.  :(     

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

w10 is perhaps better as w8.1 but as test-installation? :angry:maybe one should then generally every year to buy a license, as in office 365.

what is with w9 as free upgrade for w8.1?

i mean with my post, whats with ms office installation? is after upgrade office 2010 still active or must i reactivate it?

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators
Nergal touched on this point briefly in post #13: You get to install and use Windows 10 for one year. My question is: And then what? I'm guessing it's either pay up to continue using Windows 10, or reinstall whatever version of Windows you had previously. I guess that Microsoft is betting the ranch on Windows 10's acceptance vs. Windows 7/8/8.1 and signing up a large majority of the people who take advantage of the trial offer.

Unfortunately, in the past, they also expected that Vista and Windows 8 would be wildly popular. We all know how that turned out.  :(     

No, the "free" is a year, as in if you upgrade within 10's first year it'll be no charge for the upgraded version; the OS is not time limited.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

No, the "free" is a year, as in if you upgrade within 10's first year it'll be no charge for the upgraded version; the OS is not time limited.

Hello Nergal - All right, now I understand. The free upgrade itself will be offered for just one year, with no limit on how long you can use the OS afterward. Thank you.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

I'm reminded that "there are no free lunches"................and what is the real value of something being offered for free?    <_<

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators
I'm reminded that "there are no free lunches"................and what is the real value of something being offered for free?

Off my head the following are some of the corporate value points worth making it free (for limited customers on existing hardware, when most customers are reluctant to try "something new" and hold on to their OS long past it's utility):

Keeping customers on your platform (away from Mac/Linux/ChromeOS); providing pay-for-play-services (office 365, bigger OneDrive, Windows-Apps (metro); convince iPhone/Android/Playstation/Wii users to pick up Windows Phone/Tablets/XBoxes.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

This "Free upgrades for win 10" fits into a larger pattern. MS has done a number of things to discourage the use of older Windows versions:

- pull the plug on "Microsoft Update".

(see http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=42923)

- pull the plug on free downloads of *.ISO files for e.g. Win 7.

(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566303/microsoft-digital-river-iso-downloads-gone-for-good/)

(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566980/where-to-download-a-legal-copy-of-windows-7-home-premium-oem-iso/)

But then MS also has to encourage the use of the newest version of their Win 10 operating system. And that's - IMO - precisely the reason why they offer this free upgrade. It sounds to me that they're very well aware of the (large ??) amount of (inevitable) bugs in the new version(s) of Win 10.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

does anyone know when ms will provide the official w10 upgrade with update?

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

it is with echelon time or give for all the specific versions of Windows at the same time?

for example: the same time for XP, Vista, 7 and 8+8.1

or at first for w8.1

than 8

than 7, vista

than xp?

• Moderators
does anyone know when ms will provide the official w10 upgrade with update?

B) when it's released. (I think they are shooting for April but don't rely on that as fact)

• Moderators
it is with echelon time or give for all the specific versions of Windows at the same time?

for example: the same time for XP, Vista, 7 and 8+8.1

or at first for w8.1

than 8

than 7, vista

than xp?

If I understand the question, which I don't, the upgrade will be available to everybody at the same time. Only 8.1, 8 & 7 will be upgradable not vista/xp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up a high end gaming rig this year i7 on the new Asus Sabertooth 97 motherboard with a couple ssd and 16 gb of ram and a video card that I paid way to much for. I started out with Windows 8 but went back to 7 and i was told windows 8 was faster in gaming but I couldn't see any difference at all. I think when you have a hi end rig there is no difference.

• 3 weeks later...