uninstall feature on CCleaner

Johnny Sokko

Hello.

I have a question about using the uninstall feature on CCleaner.

What I would like to know is this: Does the program uninstaller on CCleaner do anything special or anything unique like, say, removing leftover files or registry entries, etc?

Or instead, does the uninstall feature on CCleaner simply run the program’s own built-in uninstaller, making using it identical to uninstalling a program through the Windows Add or Remove Programs tool?

• 3 weeks later...

need help here. used the uninstall on add/remove and it still shows up occasionally. I see I have to use a 2nd party uninstaller (which I think sucks) which I have downloaded. since I have already uninstalled the cleaner regular way, the only think I see on uninstaller that's close to this is ccc-utility64. is this the correct one to completely uninstall? I don't want to mess up my computer. I don't understand why the company would set up a program that you have to go thru all this hassle to completely uninstall. thx for any help here.

• Moderators

You DO NOT have to use a third party uninstaller to uninstall CCleaner.

ccc-utility64 is nothing to do with ccleaner.  CCC stands for Catalyst Control Center, and it’s part of your ATI video card driver package

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8679/what-is-ccc.exe-and-why-is-it-running/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I guess. it says ccc-utility64. ok so if I don't need another uninstaller why does it keep showing up after doing the add/remove uninstall? how do I stop this? every place I go they say there are registry files still on computer

sorry i'm not that computer literate to do a screen shot. but its under tools and then windows. theres 6 columns starting w/windows and in this it says enabled, key, and program. under enabled it says no, KEY is HKCU:RUN, program is ccleaner monitoring

• Moderators

Fixed image to be embedded

Thats not the uninstall section, its the startup/addon section.

Press the button on the left that says uninstall, this will bring up a list of all of your programs.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Want what gone? Cccutility shouldn't be removed your graphics card needs it and is probably reinstalling it

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Right let's get a few facts straight.

1. Is CCleaner listed in add/remove programs in your control panel?

2. Are you wanting to uninstall CCleaner but it isn't listed in add/remove?

3. Are you just wanting to turn monitoring off?

4. If you go into Program Files (ask if you need help with that) and open the CCleaner folder, is uninst.exe there?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

no I want the whole ccleaner program out of my computer. it's not listed in the add/remove anymore because I did the removal there. I don't want to just turn off monitoring. I want the whole program gone. I went into program files and this is where I found the file yesterday. its only the ccleaner64, nothing else. when I click on that the cleaner opens up

String. 

Although I'm sure you did something which you thought would uninstall CCleaner, it is unlikely that you did, for these reasons:
  1. The picture in post 10 shows CCleaner running.
  2. The highlighted line in the picture in post 10 shows a registry entry for CCleaner, (it shows that monitoring is disabled).
  3. CCleaner64 is still in program files (post 16) ... is that file named CCleaner64.exe?
  4. CCleaner will still run (post 16).
None of these things would be true if you had used add/remove to uninstall CCleaner.  

When you uninstall ccleaner using add/remove, it is ALL gone except for (maybe) a registry entry saying that you don't want the google toolbar.

For what it's worth, the picture is not "basically the same as the add/remove" as suggested in post 12. The highlighted line in your picture is in Tools > Startup. . . the CCleaner uninstaller is found in Tools > Uninstall.  Nergal's post 11 tells how to find the CCleaner uninstaller, but it will not uninstall CCleaner itself.  For that you just use the windows native uninstaller. 

Here is what you can do to answer Hazelnuts questions 1 and 2 in post 14 above, and maybe, just maybe, uninstall ccleaner.

1. Make sure CCleaner is not running, and there is no tray icon showing,
2. In windows, start add/remove programs, wait for the list to populate, and see if CCleaner is in the list.  
  2a. If it is,  use add/remove to remove it. After that, double check to see if that ccleaner64 file is still present in program files.
  2b. If CCleaner is not in the add/remove list, and you can still get it to run as you described above, someone else will have to tell you how (or whether) to reinstall it and uninstall it again to get a clean removal.  I have not done this for win 7 or win 8.

Also for what it's worth, a quick way to run the add/remove program in win xp and win 7 is to click on Start, Run, then type appwiz.cpl in the box that opens, then click OK. That should open up the add/remove panel.

Post back how it goes.  Hope you get it fixed. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I wonder since the Monitoring was running if that by chance causes it to not fully uninstall - I personally don't know because I use the portable edition.

My guess is what login123 mentioned in the above post about reinstalling it may be necessary, especially if the uninstaller has been ran already it may not exist on your computer anymore.

What I'd do:

1. Reinstall CCleaner, get the Slim build here: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

2. As soon as the install finishes bring up Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL), and kill/stop any CCleaner.exe or CCleaner64.exe processes that you see are running.

3. Go into Windows Add/Remove in the Control Panel, wait for the list to populate, and uninstall CCleaner from there.

4. Reboot your computer.