CCleaner changes my Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar shortcuts

tss

Hello,

I run Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit). Since I upgraded to CCleaner v5.11.5408 (and also upgraded the winapp2.ini file to the latest version), an extremely annoying bug started to happen:

I have several icons (shortcuts) pinned to my Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar ( full path to these shortcuts is %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar ) and one of my shortcuts there have a property set under the Compatibility tab: Privilege Level: "Run this program as an administrator" is checked, simply because I always want to run that particular program as Administrator.

Since I upgraded CCleaner ( and winapp2.ini ) a week ago, I started to notice that every time I run CCleaner this "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox gets unchecked in this shortcut!!

This is totally unacceptable, because if I run this program as non-administrator then it has limited capability, basically the program becomes completely useless. I use this pinned shortcut every day and I also use CCleaner every day, but this bug makes my life miserable...

Trying to solve this, I unchecked the following items under CCleaner / Applications: QuickLaunch DiagnosedApplications, QuickLaunch ImplicitAppShortcuts and QuickLaunch, but disabling these options did not help at all. :(

Can someone please suggest what to disable to prevent this problem from happening?

I do not understand why CCleaner is changing a property of one of my shortcuts which is a pinned shortcut. CCleaner should leave these pinned shortcuts alone, IMO.

Thanks,

Zoltan

I do not understand why CCleaner is changing a property of one of my shortcuts which is a pinned shortcut. CCleaner should leave these pinned shortcuts alone

i think its not ccleaner... winapp.ini is not supported from piriform (as i have heard...please correct me if thats wrong)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

also try v5.12, released today.

and try unticking on the Windows tab, Windows Explorer group, Taskbar Jump Lists and Other Explorer MRUs.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks for all your comments!

@trium , @hazelnut : You guys are right, the problem only happens with winapp2.ini so it must be caused by a rule inside the latest winapp2.ini file.

@mta : When I use winapp2.ini the problem persists with CCleaner v5.12 and unticked Taskbar Jump Lists and unticked Other Explorer MRUs, too. Apparently the problem is not caused by Taskbar Jump Lists nor Other Explorer MRUs, the problem must be caused by a rule somewhere inside the winapp2.ini file.

The odd thing is this: If I open up the winapp2.ini file with a text editor and search in it for the word "pinned", that word only present in these two rules: QuickLaunch ImplicitAppShortcuts and Recent Items More ; and when I search for the word "quicklaunch" that word only present in these rules: QuickLaunch DiagnosedApplicationsQuickLaunch ImplicitAppShortcuts and QuickLaunch. Even with all four of these rules unticked the problem occurs when I use winapp2.ini :(

I don't fully understand how these rules inside winapp2.ini file work. It is especially interesting that the given pinned shortcut is not getting completely removed, instead only one property of it somehow gets unticked when I run CCleaner with winapp2.ini ... How can I find out which winapp2.ini rule should I disable to prevent this problem from happening? Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Zoltan

• Moderators

No we cannot help with winapp2. You must understand how it works if you use it. Aid on that file can only occur in its thread (on the top of the ccleaner discussion board) and you should at least read and understand the entire first post.

The file you use is a template, provided by the community, to allow others (you) to create their own personal winapp2 file copying and pasting entries from the template to the personal file. There is a shortcut script (called trim.bat) which will remove rules for programs you don't have, however the reason all rules are defualt=false is to make the new rules unchecked when they load the first time.

So here are some steps you can take before posting in the template's thread.

1) right click each section of the applications tab and reset the settings to default.

2) only check off the winapp2 entries (those that end in * ) that you know you want and run a clean after each checkmark to see which is resetting the pin.

3) finally go to the template's thread and report the results there.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Please see my reply in the proper thread, I'm going to go ahead and close this one

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com