MFT Free Space Wiping (Help)

fuzzi

A couple of months ago, running the "Wipe MFT Free Space" (Single pass) only took about 5 minutes to be completed.
Now, a single pass lasts for at least 30 minutes. It goes quickly until 44%, then it goes 1% per 5 minutes until it reaches 50%. Then, the countdown speeds up until 100% and the wiping starts. Normaly it takes 35 minutes to do a single pass now, but a couple of months ago, it took only 5 minutes.

Im running both Windows 7 and Windows 10. I tried to defrag the partitions and it didnt worked. I need it to be fast as before. ¿Any Ideas?.

The main reason to wipe the Free Space is because of Recuva. I'd like to know if there's another way for avoiding the deep scan of Recuva. I've been Wiping the Free Space of the Hard Disks at least once per day (Single pass), and when I've the time, i'd like to do a "3-times pass" (Advanced), although I have to wait like 50 mins for it to finish.

Thank you.

• Moderators

You can't run Wipe MFT Free Space as a separate entity. If it's part of Wipe Drives under Options/Settings then you only get one pass anyway. If it's run under Drive Wiper then you can have multiple, and pointless, passes.

Why is it taking longer? I don't know, could be a multiple of reasons, including CC reporting the time differently.

How to avoid Recuva deepscan? Uninstall Recuva, secure your pc from others, use Tails, use CC secure file deletion, change your method of usage so that you don't store what you don't want others to see.

You can't run Wipe MFT Free Space as a separate entity. If it's part of Wipe Drives under Options/Settings then you only get one pass anyway. If it's run under Drive Wiper then you can have multiple, and pointless, passes.

Why is it taking longer? I don't know, could be a multiple of reasons, including CC reporting the time differently.

How to avoid Recuva deepscan? Uninstall Recuva, secure your pc from others, use Tails, use CC secure file deletion, change your method of usage so that you don't store what you don't want others to see.

Uninstalling Recuva is pointless cause it can be installed right away at any time.

What is Tails? And what is the CC secure file deletion?

There's a lot of information from Chrome, like Cache and others, that can be seen when you DeepScan with Recuva, even if it was in Incognito Mode. That's precisely what I aim to erase from my free space.

• Moderators

Uninstalling Recuva is pointless cause it can be installed right away at any time.

It is if you're using a shared pc. You've told us nothing about that.

What is Tails? And what is the CC secure file deletion?

Tails? Google. Secure File Deletion? Piriform CC documentation.

There's a lot of information from Chrome, like Cache and others, that can be seen when you DeepScan with Recuva, even if it was in Incognito Mode. That's precisely what I aim to erase from my free space.

We're having to guess who uses your pc and what type of data you want to erase. If it's not shared then secure it. If it is shared then it would be better to obtain a machine for your sole use.

What if I run Recuva, Check all the files there and then mark for a Secure Overwrite? Might that work?

I think that WFS - one pass - would be easier and more thorough.