Does CCleaner have an "Undo" function?

nycquery

My other computer is in the shop, so I am trying to get this old one going. I used CCleaner to clear up space--but I fear it may have deleted my Outlook Express and Windows Media Player. I did not click on them to be removed--but I did click on other files in their cartegory. Now I cannot find them? Can anyone tell me what happened? Did they get moved or are they gone? If gone, how can I get them back?

If CCleaner deletes files like that, this program seems dangerous. Is there an UNDO button?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome nycquery

What is the operating system you are running?

Maybe they were not installed to begin with or some other application removed them as CCleaner does not have the capability to remove them.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome nycquery

What is the operating system you are running?

Maybe they were not installed to begin with or some other application removed them as CCleaner does not have the capability to remove them.

This is Windows XP on a SONY VAIO I got in 2002. I am trying to get this computer working as my other one is in the shop. I know they were there, because I wanted to retrieve old email files and music.

I ran CCleaner and as it was scanning the names of Outlook Express and Windows Media Player whizzed by. Then when I looked for them, 2 minutes afterward, I could not find them.

Does this program have an "Undo" button? If you think programs are still there, where did they go? Have they been hidden?

Thanks for your response.

Hi nycquery,

With a computer that old, I would suggest burning to CD anything that you would want to keep (pics, photos, docs, images, music, etc.) and then reformat the entire system to factory OEM specs - like how you got the day you bought it - by using the Restore or Recovery CD - there may be 3-4 of them.

I know it's a pain in the %@!&$, but sometimes "starting over" may be the smartest and easiest way. It's a Sony, their Website should be a good starting point. Somewhere on your system, (Program Files?) you should be able to find the "Vaio Recovery Wizard", which might help too.

So much has happened to XP since 2002, I'd spend the time and update:

Windows Update to SP3+, Internet Explorer 7, Windows Media Player 11, Outlook Express 6, then upgrade your Ram to at least 512MB or 1.0 GB (quality and quantity, if you can or need), update all Drivers from Sony's Website, update the system's Java, Flash, DirectX, .Net, Adobe Reader, Quicktime, find and install the latest versions of the more popular security programs (Comodo Internet Security, AVG 8.0, Spybot S&D, SafeXP - www.majorgeeks.com) a few performance, security, and privacy tweaks, and of course, CCleaner v2.13.720!

Take a weekend, rock it out by Sunday night. ;)

Just my 2 cents,

poolsharkzz

"Never chalk your stick before miscueing"

XP Home SP3+

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor - E7300 @ 2.66 GHz

2.0 GB RAM (1024 MB x 2) DDR2 PC2-6400 (800 MHz)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Adapter

250 GB HD (master) / 250 GB HD (external)

Death_ray.gifNinja_vs_Pirate.gifUltimate_combo.gif

• Moderators

I would be very surprised if CC has done this, and probably Piriform would be too. I thought that OE was part of XP and couldn't be removed? I'll go for shortcuts going too.

This is Windows XP on a SONY VAIO I got in 2002. I am trying to get this computer working as my other one is in the shop. I know they were there, because I wanted to retrieve old email files and music.

I ran CCleaner and as it was scanning the names of Outlook Express and Windows Media Player whizzed by. Then when I looked for them, 2 minutes afterward, I could not find them.

Does this program have an "Undo" button? If you think programs are still there, where did they go? Have they been hidden?

Thanks for your response.

Hi nycquery,

Welcome. :D Loads of good help and advice here on the forums.

Yes, you will see names of different things "whiz" by as CCleaner analyzes.

Your Windows products are probably still there, where they have been for years.

Navigate to the Add or Remove Programs Window and click on Add/Remove Windows Components.

Tick or untick what you would like.

I definitely would do as OddTodd recommended above to get your computer up to date.

Nothing like an up-to-date backup PC. I wish I had one. :P

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. There is no UNDO feature for cleaning programs. The whole idea is to get rid of data and not create copies. Back up of data is the users responsibility.

Yes, those files are hidden. Navigate to Folder Options and uncheck the options to hide files.( there are a couple)

You will find your data here C:\Documents and Settings\nycquery\Application Data