Will scheduled tasks run when not logged in?

Toddandmargoi

• Moderators

from the Windows Task Scheduler, have you tried ticking the box for your task under its Security Options that says Run whether user is logged on or not ?

I actually just did a test, and it's set by default - so to answer your question - Yes.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I have a similar issue, although not specifically about setting up a scheduled defrag. I am running Windows 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. Defraggler indicates that my system is 40% fragged and it will take Defraggler more than a day to defrag. I started it yesterday and it ran for a few hours and got up to 2% defragged. I paused the program, then shut down the computer. Today, when I started the computer, Defraggler did not show any choice for "Resuming" so I had to start it over. It has now run over 4 hours, shows 3% defragged and is stating that it will take more than a day to finish.

Of course, my computer automatically goes into sleep mode if there is nothing going on for a period of time. If I set it on sleep mode overnight, it goes through start up as if I had manually shut it off the night before. There is no way I can stay up for more than a day making sure the computer doesn't go into sleep mode and then shut down, so I don't see how I can keep Defraggler running until it is finished. 

Any suggestions to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Maureen

I have a similar issue, although not specifically about setting up a scheduled defrag. I am running Windows 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. Defraggler indicates that my system is 40% fragged and it will take Defraggler more than a day to defrag. I started it yesterday and it ran for a few hours and got up to 2% defragged. I paused the program, then shut down the computer. Today, when I started the computer, Defraggler did not show any choice for "Resuming" so I had to start it over. It has now run over 4 hours, shows 3% defragged and is stating that it will take more than a day to finish.

Of course, my computer automatically goes into sleep mode if there is nothing going on for a period of time. If I set it on sleep mode overnight, it goes through start up as if I had manually shut it off the night before. There is no way I can stay up for more than a day making sure the computer doesn't go into sleep mode and then shut down, so I don't see how I can keep Defraggler running until it is finished. 

Any suggestions to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Windows 8.1.  Bummer.

You have to set you power setting to "always on" so that i won't ever sleep.  This link should walk you through it:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-power-plan-windows-8

-T