Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

I have de-installed v1.12 and have gone back to v1.10. I simply dislike the GUI of v1.11 and v1.12. The reason why I dislike the GUI is mentioned in post #236 of this thread.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I'm too lazy to read all topic, but i have some suggestions:

1. Ability to consolidate folder entries and place them either near MFT or in the beginning of disk

2. Ability to choose most used files and folders and move them to front of the disk

I goe d'accord - PLUS the Option: "To End of the Disk"

cheers & kind regards ^L^

at least once a day : to think different ;o)

- Add an option to move all System Restore files to the end of the disk

Yes! Or even better: when you select any file by checking its box in the file list, have an option to move it to the end of the disk.

Defraggler is wonderfully useful for checking the status of drive. But when I see one file in the middle of a free area, I so wish I could move just that file, not just defrag it (it might not be fragmented).

I would like to be able to pick and delete files directly from the File List after Analyze. Usually Log files that I do not need.

Defraggler often moves a large file up and then moves it down again near the end of defrag. Moving it twice oftens wastes alot of time.

Defraggler is very slow when compacting many small files. May take an hour or more to do 1%. There should be a better way of compacting many small files that are close together.

Defraggle is generally very good, but could be better if it were more effecient.

I would like a defrag feature to sort files on disk by folder.

Lets imagine a larger disk, like 1000GB and we have installed like 30 games, each is his folder. But each folder, even with 0% fragmentation, can has all files spread along the 1000GB disk, reducing disk performance by a lot.

Example hard disk random sorted:

d:\

-FolderGame1

-SubFolder2Game10

-SubFolder1Game5

-FolderGame7

-FolderGame8

-SubFolder1Game7

-SubFolder1Game1

-SubFolder2Game2

-SubFolder2Game3

And that's only with folder, files can be stored even worse.

I would like to do a sort-defrag by folder, to sort files in drive stored contiguous in the same region of hard disk, reducing disk head movements and greatly improving performance.

Example hard disk sorted:

d:\

-FolderGame1

-SubFolder1Game1

-SubFolder2Game2

-FolderGame2

-SubFolder1Game2

-SubFolder2Game2

-FolderGame3

-SubFolder1Game3

-SubFolder2Game3

The only way I found to get something like this, is store each game on separated partitions, and believe me, it great improves hard disk performance but is a pain to manage.

I hope you will add such feature to Defraggler, thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english. ;)

C:\System Volume Information\ should be excluded by default and should not count when calculating fragmentation. Lots of users are confused because of this.

Piriform French translator

In addition to being excluded from defrag, I would like to see System Volume Information and all the _RESTOREs moved to the slow end of the partition and left there.

I suggest you obtain the statistic "Number of Free Space Fragments"

and display it in the user interface, preferably in real-time.

It is available in the built-in defragger of Vista, 2008 and Win7. (/a /v)

IMHO it is the only meaningful measure of how fragmented a disk has become

because "1%" can mean that the most frequently read thousand files of a typical

100,000 file system volume are fragmented with over a thousand fragments each!

It is much more important to prevent FUTURE fragmentation by "closing the gaps"

than to join up presently fragmented files.

Under 100 gaps is a really good result for an active system disc.

My ideal defrag program would have these options (or buttons) for each drive:-

1) Defrag files (quick)

2) Defrag space (not so quick)

3) defrag files while dfragging space (slow)

4) defrag files, then defrag space (useful when available time unknown)

5) sort files, oldest first, while defragging files and space (very slow)

Auto-Update Feature: Just like CCleaner has, that way it is easier to keep up-to-date. Also, make options in a feature to let you know if the update is Beta or a Major Release.

Portable Version: Just like CCleaner has so that when the program is installed, there is nothing left on the host computer, including an association that lists the program in the Add/Remove Programs list.

Registry Defrag: Add an item in the list that shows the drives to defrag that lets you also defrag the registry upon reboot. Also add an option to automatically defrag the registry and auto-reboot after defragmentation of the selected drive is complete.

Perhaps add options to do one of the following once defrag of the current drive is complete:

- Close Program

- Log Off User

- Shut Down

- Restart

And make it possible to queue other drives for defrag. For example, I could set it to defrag my internal hard drive first. Once complete, begin defrag of my external hard drive, then defrag my USB drive.

Add a feature to run a scheduled defrag every day, week or month. I know this is possible thru a feature already included in Windows but integration of the scheduling feature would be nice.

I'm pretty new here, but have been using Defraggler. I really like your thoughts on portability. I'm far from 'knowledgeable' about computers, but am learning a lot. As for automatic update, it seems to me this action would have to be programmed to run preceeding a defrag when the portable device is activated. :)

In addition to being excluded from defrag, I would like to see System Volume Information and all the _RESTOREs moved to the slow end of the partition and left there.

Hi, I'm pretty new here, but lerning a lot from other members. I used Defraggler for the first time a couple of days ago. Yours is the only message here that mentions System Volume Information. Now I understand why several of my SFI file remained fragmented. :rolleyes:

How about a LEGEND displayed on the "Drive Tab" for reference of block color ID

That would have been nice. Just used Defraggler for the first time, had no clue what that "graph" up there was trying to tell me. Finally dug around in "Help" enough to learn about it. :unsure::)

C:\System Volume Information\ should be excluded by default and should not count when calculating fragmentation. Lots of users are confused because of this.

I'm one of the confused users. Just used Defraggler for the first time. I have several fragmented SFI files on this one month old computer. Does this explain why I have a 25% fragmentation, which seems abnormally high to me, even after defrag? :unsure:

This is normal on a Vista/7 computer ;)

I'm one of the confused users. Just used Defraggler for the first time. I have several fragmented SFI files on this one month old computer. Does this explain why I have a 25% fragmentation, which seems abnormally high to me, even after defrag? :unsure:

Piriform French translator

1. Minimize to system tray (PLEASE)

2.Registry Defrag: Add an item in the list that shows the drives to defrag that lets you also defrag the registry upon reboot. Also add an option to automatically defrag the registry and auto-reboot after defragmentation of the selected drive is complete.

3.Background Defrag (like AutoDefrag in Smart Defrag, this is one really nice feature of theirs); and it could be improved upon by allowing specific directories/folders to be chosen for the background defrag. This would prove very helpful for anyone with large database files(MySQL. etc.)

Thanks

2.Registry Defrag: Add an item in the list that shows the drives to defrag that lets you also defrag the registry upon reboot. Also add an option to automatically defrag the registry and auto-reboot after defragmentation of the selected drive is complete.

3.Background Defrag (like AutoDefrag in Smart Defrag, this is one really nice feature of theirs); and it could be improved upon by allowing specific directories/folders to be chosen for the background defrag. This would prove very helpful for anyone with large database files(MySQL. etc.)

Thanks

Thanks

I'm with those features. Here are some of my suggestions:

1) I'm not sure if the they improve Defraggler moving files to the front, but that would be nice as the Documentation still say that it will attempt to move them.

2) A collapsing legend somewhere close to the animated legend to tell you what each color means when you hover over it could be add.

3) When you missed a scheduled defrag, could have an option to start the process next time the computer starts up. And when in the middle of a scheduled defrag and you try to shutdown, the program notifies you and have an option to proceed with the shutdown and resume the process next time the computer starts or wait till the Defraggler finishes.