How to move all of the same type of files together?

tkmops

How to move all of the same type of files together?

How does one defrag a drive so that all of the blue squares(not fragmented) are together, all of the red squares(fragmented) are together, and all of white squares(empty) are together?

I've defragged every few months for about 10 years, and every time, after the defrag, the drive is cleaner looking, but there's still many fragmented, not fragmented and empty squares all mixed up.

I've also tried defragging the empty space, but there's still lots of fragments everywhere.

Are there some 'hidden' settings that I'm not aware of?

Does this forum allow attachments? Maybe I should take a before and after screen prints, post them, and have users comment if that's normal?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot. How does 'check Exclude restore point file, and 

check Exclude hibernation file' make Defraggler work better? It would seem that excluding files would mean that those files would not be defragged. Is that a good thing?

• Moderators
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot. How does 'check Exclude restore point file, and

check Exclude hibernation file' make Defraggler work better? It would seem that excluding files would mean that those files would not be defragged. Is that a good thing?

excluding them also ignores them in the fragmented percentage shown.

Those files, unless you turn off system restore or hibernate before defragging, are locked for use and cannot be defragmented.

On the other hand, iirc, if you turn off system restore you lose all of your restore points.

You can defrag these files by running boot time defragment, again iirc.

A fragmentation level of 24 percent or less is an acceptable level for a speedy drive. Many files are immovable while windows runs, and some files share enough clusters with immovable files that they won't be moved during a whole drive defrag, you can attempt to use the per file defrag section of defraggler for that.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

24%, as a number, is a quarter of your files being fragmented.

it that was mine, I'd be getting it lower.

but it may just be the pagefile, or restore points, or a couple of huge video files.

for example, a couple of hi-def movies, say at 15gig each, fragmented 100's of times could account for 10% of your fragmented files.

and just defragging those will get the % down.

maybe clicking on File List tab, then sorting by Size or/and Fragments will give you an idea of the worse offenders.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.