Bugs in Defraggler

I noticed something interesting. Let's assume the user has 2 folders ("Folder1", "Folder2") with in each a number of defragmented files and only "Folder1" has been added to the "Exclude" list. Then - of course - DF  will show the defragmented files in "Folder2" only.

Removing "Folder1" from the "Exclude" list results in that DF will show the defragmented files in "Folder1" immediately as well. The user doesn't has to re-analyze the drive again. So, DF has a list in memory and displays only the files that meet the user defined requirements.

This makes it more likely that - as mentioned previously - something goes wrong with/in the file list when DF starts to move those files. So, it more likely that the file list (in memory) gets corrupted somehow or that the file moving algorithm(s) is/are (a bit) "buggy".

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

V2.19.982 (64 bit) Defraggler

The past couple of times I have used it, I have had one desktop icon disappear each time. Didn’t seem to cause a problem with the program. This latest one was my Google Earth shortcut went bye-bye.

Luckily I have taken snapshots of my desktop so I can put back whatever disappears.

Would like some help on this. 

Windows 7 64 bit, HP G60-243CL, 4 gig memory, 750 gig hard drive. About 130 gig free space.

It's even worse. When I switch from "Original view" (for me the preferred state) back to "Modern view" then the checkboxes for the file list remain in the "Original" state. So, the developers didn't pay too much attention to what happened with the checkboxes when switching "views".

- Tried to see whether I could discover a pattern with regard to changing the view from "Modern" to "Original". Installed & removed DF v2.19 a number of times but it seems DF simply doesn't show a predictable pattern. Two times DF started with "Modern" view for the file list and in the rest of the times it started with the "Original" view for the file list. Odd.

Does this behaviour depends on the existence of a "Secret" registry setting ? Or does some other program interferes with the program ? Or is this dependent whether of not the user wants the settings to be saved in a "*.ini" file ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I get that too, every now and then.

I find mine is related to DF trying to defrag a locked file.

When I had AVG, it used to happen when DF tried to access one of AVG log files.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...
Defraggler never completes its task, it always aborts.

click on the heading "fragments" and it shows you the files that couldnt be defragmented. mostly the pagefile

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 2 weeks later...

Another bug in DF v2.19:

I have a 4 GB MicroSD card (with a FAT file system) and on that disk are 2 defragmented directory files. DF does defragment all the files on that disk but DF still continues to fail to defragment those directory files.

• 4 months later...

- The program code of DF definitely needs another improvement. I used "Defragment Free space" in DF v2.19 to defragment a MicroSD card but it looked like it failed to do its job. Looking at the file map of DF I assumed DF would move some 6 to 9 files but DF moved only 1 (one) file. Then I tried the same function again and again. But to no avail. DF refused to move any file anymore. Odd, very odd.

- Can we expect a new version of Defraggler in the (near) future ? The code still needs to be improved. (See previous posts in this thread).

• Moderators

Another bug in DF v2.19:

I have a 4 GB MicroSD card (with a FAT file system) and on that disk are 2 defragmented directory files. DF does defragment all the files on that disk but DF still continues to fail to defragment those directory files.

The Widows defragger does not defrag FAT directories, I believe. As Defraggler uses the Win API's perhaps this restriction also applies.

Defraggler never completes its task, it always aborts.

It is a big defect Defflagler.
Therefore, I use the other "better tools" with unique technologists with guaranteed 0%  Fragmented - even if disk space is 5% (or even less !!!)
500GB HDD  (5% = 25 GB) However, it can successfully work defrag of up to 10 GB (2%) of free space to complete the operation
 The unique technology is able to defragment system files $MFT and other system files (Even in the mode Windows (WITHOUT RESTART))  and prevent again defragmentation.

Today I used "Defragment Free Space" on a MicroSD card but DF refused to move file. (Yes, I know. I shouldn't use this feature on a SD card, it reduces the life of such a card).

See attachment. I marked 4 files in red. I thought those 4 files would be moved by this DF feature but they stayed where they were placed. The developers do have some work on their plate.

I had to interrupt analysis (to avoid damage to the MFT and my data) using too much RAM

High Memory Leak | Heap Corruption 14 GB (Peak 20 GB)

Too many requests on a single disk

SsdOptimizer::TriggerTrim#273 Trim Failed with windows error 998

1 FindResourceNameFromOrdinal::FindResourceIdFromOrdinal::BeginSearching#104 EnumResourceNames failed (hr=0x80073b02)

Wow64FsRedirectorDisabler::Acquire#50 Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection failed with error code: 0x80070001.

[2015-12-26] [09:42:02.865] 0170c 1 CAnalysis::AnalyzeVolume#60 Flushing volume Disk E - Z failed with error code 0x80070005.
OpenGlobalEvent#450 Failed to open existing event: G (error: 0x2)

1 CProgramInstanceMonitorHelper::GetTaskScheduleMutex#79 Failed to open mutex Global\DefragglerTS (code 0x2)

CAnalysis::GetFileFragmentsAndSize#424 ERROR: failed to retrieve file size! (err.code() is 81126192 for file "X:\$Secure")
[2015-12-26] [09:59:32.335] 018dc 1 CAnalysis::GetFileFragmentsAndSize#424 ERROR: failed to retrieve file size! (err.code() is 81126192 for file "X:\$Extend\$Quota")
[2015-12-26] [09:59:32.335] 018dc 1 CAnalysis::GetFileFragmentsAndSize#424 ERROR: failed to retrieve file size! (err.code() is 81126192 for file "X:\$Extend\$ObjId")
[2015-12-26] [09:59:32.335] 018dc 1 CAnalysis::GetFileFragmentsAndSize#424 ERROR: failed to retrieve file size! (err.code() is 81126192 for file "X:\$Extend\$Reparse")
[2015-12-26] [09:59:36.998] 018dc 1 CAnalysis::GetFileFragmentsAndSize#424 ERROR: failed to retrieve file size! (err.code() is 81126192 for file "X:\$Extend\$UsnJrnl")

Screen_Shot_12_11_15_at_08_56_AMVV.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

- First (small) bug in DF v2.20: The 1st time I ran DF (1st time after I installed this DF version), the option "Exclude System Restore files" was ticked but nontheless it showed the System Restore files. Only the 2nd and every next time this option works well.

Tested  DF v2.20 even more and somethings that weren't fixed in this version. (I reported this odd behaviour before in this thread).

- The "Exclude" option (Settings, Options, Exclude") doesn't function well. I added a number of folders to that list (say 30) and then removed some 10 folders, restarted DF and opened the "Exclude" screen again but in that screen I still saw 30 folders listed (some of them even 3 times!!!) !!! If I want to reduce the amount of folders in the Exclude screen (and "Defraggler.ini") then I have to manually (!!!!) remove a number "ExcludePath=" lines.

- Tried to move a bunch of *.mp3 files to the end of the drive and it worked exactly one time (i.e. the 1st time) in spite of having tried this function/feature some 20 times.

- When DF is busy (trying to) move files to the end of the drive then the user still can open the "Settings" menu(s) and see what the settings are but those options can't be changed. But there's confusion because DF tells me that the option "Move large files to end of drive" hasn't been selected. (while I do know it has been selected !!!!).

- Are these bugs language related ?? I have seen programs that were written in the USA and didn't work (properly) on my dutch system. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see that (supposed) bugs in DF are actually the result of running on a non english system.

I can report some good news and also have some bad news. It seems that the program code has been improved (somewhat). Although it didn't work as well as would have hoped (I didn't have enough time to let the program finish by itself. Otherwise I would have to wait for - at least - 2 (??) or 3 (??) extra hours).

I ran Defraggler (v2.20) ("Defrag" >> "Defrag" in the main screen of DF) with a number of settings in Defraggler.ini (See attachment). 2 folders ("C:\MicroSD" and "C:\Regbackup") weren't included in the "Exclude" pane/screen.

In the subfolders of "C:\MicroSD" there're only *.MP3 files and A LOT OF those *.MP3 files are - at least - 5 MB or larger. But each of the "C:\MicroSD" subfolders also contains one file that's smaller than 2 MB.

Based on what I saw in the main screen of DF, the program moved all *.mp3 (in "C:\MicrosSD") files that were smaller than 2 MB towards the beginning of the drive. But all other *.mp3 files (each > 5 MB) from the same (sub-)folder(s) were moved towards the end of the (logical) drive.

In other words: The option "Do not apply minimum file size ................. " doesn't work, is overlooked, - at least - in this particular instance.

I want to do more testing but that will take much more time.

- I also noticed that DF (v2.20) still (tries to) move(s) a number files/folders that start with an "$" sign. E.g. ("C:\$Extend") when I use the procedure as described in the previous post. Is this done intentionally or is this to be considered to be a bug. I personally think these files should be filtered out and excluded from being moved.

Defraggler 2.20 left mij C-drive almoste broke, en left me wit bad sectors and clusters.

(I had that years before with another defragmentation program.)

Read errors as the result.

How I know it was caused by Defrragler v2.20?

The program told (?) me that it would take 1 day or more to defrag the partition, which in version 2.19 takes less than 5 minutes.

Afterwards the bad sectors and bad clusters came up.

I had this problem (REALLY) with another defrag program years ago.

That is also why I changed to Defraggler, which seemed to work without any problems.

Until version 2.20.

I hope you find the cause, and fix it in version 2.21.

Regards,

Bert.

- @Bert: Are you sure Defraggler caused those bad sectors & clusters ? Defragmentation programs are very "hard disk" intensive and then weak spots on one's HD can turn into disk errors.

Well...

I did not have them before I ran Defragler 2.20, and I ran version 2.19 every day without problems.

I installed version 2.20 and suddenly it would take me more than a day to defrag my drives, which normely (also version 2.19) run within 5 minutes to complete the defragmentation.

And as I said: I had this problem before with another defrag program (I do not know anymore which program that was; I will never use it anymore).

But I always run a defrag program BEFORE I run an image-back-up program.

And if hat program refuses tu run because of bad sectors (which were not there before) than I can say; it is the defrag program that coused it.

Years before, I stopped using that other program, and I never had that problem again, till lost week with the latest update of Priform Defraggler.2.20.

I make new image-back-ups every week (I have 9 systems on my computer) but only 1 Windows. as Drive-C.

That partition went BAD AFTER the update to version 2.20.

Mind you: I run Defragler at least once a day for years. Without any problems. So I know the program.

Everything went fine till version 2.19.

Vrsion 2.20 made my Windows drives having bad sectors/clusters.

Yes: I'm very sure the problem was caused by Piriform Defragler version 2.20.

I solved it at the end by competely format the C-drive, and after that put my back-up back (Acronis).

I had put THE SAME back-up back without formating, and the problem just got worse.

Even Chkdsk crashed on the drive.

You realy should check how version 2.20 reads and writes.

Forgot.

I also have several (12) linux partition on that computer. Running anyone of these and running "Gparted" resulted that the program could not read the partition.

After the reformatting and then putting the image-back-up back,also "Gparted" (Linux) can read the C-drive again.

DO believe me: this is caused by Defraggler 2.20.

I'm NOT a newbie.

Bert

• Moderators

an analogy would be like saying your Doctor gave you cancer.

"I was fine before I saw him, now I have cancer, he gave it to me."

Defraggler, and your previous defrag software, did not (and can not) give your hard drive bad sectors.

they can certainly however, make any sectors that are bordering on getting reported by the OS as being bad, go bad due to the high I/O such as process puts on the drive.

not that S.M.A.R.T is a reliable indicator, but check those figures to see what is happening to the drive.

I suspect the reason CHKDSK 'crashed on the drive' is also due to your drive being flaky.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Sort of the doctor.

After I got everything up and running again, my back-up program (Acronis) could run without problems.

Not before after I ran Defraggler 2.20.

As I said: it told (?) me that the defragmentation would take over 1 day, which normaly would tak about 5 minutes.

Afterwards, All the problems with bad sectors and bad clusters arose.

---+---

When you say that a defrag program CAN NOT give you bad sectors, you should try to tell hat to the DOS-Ghost program, which could not back-up the drive 100% after defrag?

I stopped using that defrag program, and Ghost worked as normal again.

Just as It did now when I went back to version 2.19 and had no problems at all..

You say it can NOT be caused by the defrag program.

Defraggler Reads Writes Reads Writes,

i am NOT a technician. But when a program runs and afterwards you got problems with sectors.clusters,  Than that is not caused by running (let us say) firefox.

As I said before: also Linux could not read the drive anymore.

You can ignore what haooend here,, but thet means every user is in danger.

Mind you: If you stand on it (wrong expression) I wil install the 2.20 again, running the risk that my drive again reportd bad secors.

I can do that. I have back-up gelore.

But if my harddisk fails. It fails, en takes 10 other systems with it.