User Account Control pop up at sign in

edcourtney

Every time I sign in on my computer I have started receiving a pop up that asks:

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?

CCleaner

Piriform

Hard drive on this computer

YES     NO

There is a blue link at the bottom of the pop up that says:

Change when these notifications appear.

How do I stop receiving this pop up?

Sounds like Vista, Win 7, & Win 8s' User Activation Control. If you click on "change when these notifications appear", choose 'never' (or slide the level bar down to 'never') and you won't get that UAC prompt anymore. It's a built-in protection control to keep cray cray malware & viruses from taking control of your 'pooter. If you have a general sense of what to access & what not to on the internet, you should be fairly safe with the setting at 'never'. If you're brand new to computers you might want to leave the UAC on for a while till you get the hang of what's safe and what's a big no-no.

• 7 months later...

Every time I sign in on my computer I have started receiving a pop up that asks:

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?

CCleaner

Piriform

Hard drive on this computer

YES     NO

There is a blue link at the bottom of the pop up that says:

Change when these notifications appear.

How do I stop receiving this pop up?

The other methods are not recommended, this is how you can get CCleaner past the UAC (User Account Control) of Windows.

1. Find the install folder (CCleaner), usually its in C:\Programs (if not try C:\Programs (x86).

2. Right click CCleaner.exe,

3. Click "Compatibility" tab

4. Click "Change Settings for All Users" button (at the bottom)

5. Check "Run this program as an administrator".

6. Click "apply" button and click "ok" to close. 

7. Restart computer and the problem is gone. 

I sent this info to Piriform and told them that this will be a hassle to those who cannot or won't do these manual changes. 

As a note, this will likely work on any program that you want to operate and avoid the UAC pop ups. 

• Moderators

This instructions wouldn't do anything "run this program as an administrator" check mark causes Windows to trigger the exact warning you are attempting to avoid.

The proper way to not get the warning is to enable skip UAC in ccleaner's settings.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 years later...

I still get the warning when I start CCleaner manually or automatically. Interestingly, CCleaner is the ONLY application on my PC that shows this warning.

• I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
  • Running the latest version of CCleaner - currently, v5.39.6399(64-bit)
  • CCleaner's Options/Advanced: "Skip User Account Control warning" box is checked.
  • CCleaner's Options/Settings: "Run CCleaner when the computer starts" is unchecked.
  • CCleaner's Options/Monitoring: "Enable system monitoring" is checked.
  • I am an admin on the PC. 
  • I've tried enabling "Run this program as an administrator" in the Properties/Compatibility settings for both the CCleaner64.exe and CCleaner.exe - no change.

Reducing the UAC Settings is a bogus solution. In this day and age everyone needs as much PC security as they can get!

ONLY AS A TEST - the only way I am able to start CCleaner without the warning is to set my PC's UAC settings to "Never notify" - (not recommended for normal operations).

Hi guys, CCleaner skips the UAC prompt by using a task in windows task scheduler.

Check that you have the task and that it is enabeld. Right click the start menu button select computer management, and a window will appear. Expand the Task Scheduler entry (within system tools, expand by clicking the arrows on the side of the tree or double clicking the entry.). Select the Task Scheduler Library entry, and within that in the main window, there should be a list of tasks, one of which is named "CCleanerSkipUAC". Make sure it says "ready" next to it and not something like disabled or running (to change it right click the entry and select appropriate entry in the pop-up menu). Ultimately you wan't to have it saying "ready" then, Right click that entry and select run, CCleaner should then open without a UAC prompt.

If the tasks behavior when run deviates from what is expected, then the issue is likely something to do with the task itself. So try it and post back what happens if it doesn't work, it might simply be the task is disabled, or it could be more of a hassle to fix, as tasks can become corrupted and fail to work properly (this will usually cause an error to show up when running it or trying to change it.) or may make it not show in the task list, while making it impossible to add an entry with the required name, it depends on exactly where the corruption is, if it's actually due to that.

Do you get the UAC running CCleaner without monitoring enabled ?.  I don't actually use the monitoring aspect of CCleaner, so I'm not 100% familiar with it but, I assume it is something to do with that setting, and it must alter the way CCleaner is launched.

Anyway not really sure, I misread your post and thought you were talking about CCleaner itself, and kind of missed the relevance of the monitoring option. There is possibly another way to bypass UAC by using the MS application compatibility toolkit, (details: https://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/08/get-rid-of-uac-prompts-with-microsofts-application-compatibility-toolkit/), but to be honest, I have no idea if it will work for this case, it's more an option if you want to give it a try. FYI this is completely different to (and more involved than) the suggestion above detailing properties/compatibility tab run as admin check-box, that setting is never going to bypass UAC, only make it show (as Nergal said above).