Windows > RegEdit Option doesn't work...

I have used CCleaner forever. I recently wiped my drive, reinstalled XP Home, reapplied all XP updates, and installed the latest CCleaner version, 3.09.1493. I've done this several times without issue.

I reset all the options in CCleaner like before, including unchecking the Windows > RegEdit Option box. After running CCleaner, I ran RegEdit. To my surprize, rather than opening to the point where I was in the registry, all branches were collapsed! I opened and selected a new key; reran CCleaner; with the same result.

Thinking there was a bug in version 3.09.1493, I went all the way back to version 3.04.1389, but had the same result...

Anyone have a clue what the problem/fix is?

Just because I'm smart doesn't mean I'm stupid...

Hi, Charlie. Your post isn't being ignored, probably just nobody knows what to say.

The developers read all posts, so will see it.

Fwiw, same thing happens here unless I leave the regedit window open, then they don't collapse.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

This is a new one on me, and I'd have to try this to give an answer of any sort.

If I use regedit, even after closing it down it stays open at the last accessed location for a while, but not permanently. I'm not sure if it reverts immediately after a reboot, or at some other time such as after running CCleaner as I've never looked.

As it happens, I'm pleased it does revert to a closed tree state as it saves closing down the tree to find a different location.

Unless one of the guys gives you a definitive answer soon, I'll give it a try.

• Moderators

After a little playing around there appear to be two sections of CCleaner which "clean" regedits memory so to speak.

The obvious "regedit" checkbox in the "Cleaner\Applications\Windows" section, but also the "Other Explorer MRUs" checkbox in the "Cleaner\Windows\Windows Explorer" section.

This is the case in both the latest CCleaner and an older version.

Uncheck "Other Explorer MRUs" and with any luck that should leave regedit alone.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum by the way charlie.

Thanks to all (past n future) for your attention to my issue...

login123, you give me hope that I'm not alone in having this problem.

(though I can't imagine we're the only 2, and this issue hasn't been reported 'til now)

DennisD, I did as you suggested and, yay, it worked! Though, boo, of course these MRUs should be independent. As for your affection of a collapsed registry, I hope you can come to accept us who prefer to keep a 'bookmark' in our registries. And, as for your mysterious registry auto-collapse, try Not running CCleaner, running regedit, selecting a key, rebooting, then checking if your registry collapsed. I suspect something else is at work here.

I suspect still that this issue occurs on a small population of users. As I said before, I reverted back to version 3.04.1389 and had the same problem. I can't imagine this problem has existed so long, unreported...

(apparently, I suspect a lot. Must be my medication, I suspect.)

Sooo, what's my next step? login123, I, and likely 10's of us can't sleep until this problem is slain!

• Moderators

I knew CCleaner cleaned the RegEdit last location but never thought of it as an issue since I'd personally want it to do that. There's also other software that automatically cleans it.

You can enter into CCleaner a registry exclude on the key it's cleaning, therefore you'll never lose the RegEdit last location.

I knew CCleaner cleaned the RegEdit last location but never thought of it as an issue since I'd personally want it to do that. There's also other software that automatically cleans it.

You can enter into CCleaner a registry exclude on the key it's cleaning, therefore you'll never lose the RegEdit last location.

That seems to be a reasonable workaround but leaves my curiosity a bit unsatisfied as to the cause of this misbehavior. (?)

Do you know in which registry location this is stored?

That seems to be a reasonable workaround but leaves my curiosity a bit unsatisfied as to the cause of this misbehavior. (?)

Do you know in which registry location this is stored?

I found it:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit

And it does the job. Still curious though as to the true cause...

When I did the above I didn't have "Other Explorer MRUs" checked, only had checked:

> CCleaner > Applications > Windows > Regedit.

Further, "Analyze" showed nothing to remove, ran it anyway and nothing was removed.

But the branches collapsed.

When I left the regedit window open while running CCleaner, nothing collapsed even when the view was refreshed, so maybe thats a workaround.

Guess I'm being a bit dense, here, but why is it a problem?

And yes, a belated welcome from me too. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

When I did the above I didn't have "Other Explorer MRUs" checked, only had checked:

Further, "Analyze" showed nothing to remove, ran it anyway and nothing was removed.

But the branches collapsed.

When I left the regedit window open while running CCleaner, nothing collapsed even when the view was refreshed, so maybe thats a workaround.

Guess I'm being a bit dense, here, but why is it a problem?

And yes, a belated welcome from me too. :)

Did you mean to say

only had UNchecked:

If not, it should be UNchecked in order to work.

Did you mean to say

only had UNchecked:

If not, it should be UNchecked in order to work.

Of all the options (boxes) available in CCleaner, any tab or window, only the one called "RegEdit" had a checkmark in it.

th_CC_regeditchecked1.jpg

What happens here:

If the reg editor is open when CCLeaner runs as described (1 box checked), nothing collapses.

If the reg editor is closed, it re-opens with the branches collapsed.

So a question: what benefit comes from leaving them always expanded?

• Moderators

what benefit comes from leaving them always expanded?

Probably if someone is always looking at, editing, or exporting a particular registry key.

Although they can be bookmarked in WinXP and newer systems using 'Favorites' built right into RegEdit, and the 'Favorites' can be exported/saved by going into:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\Favorites

For anyone that spends allot of time in RegEdit the Microsoft Sysinternals RegJump tool is very handy!

What happens here:

If the reg editor is open when CCLeaner runs as described (1 box checked), nothing collapses.

If the reg editor is closed, it re-opens with the branches collapsed.

So a question: what benefit comes from leaving them always expanded?

login123, are you reading my replies, carefully? So as not to seem rude, I'll post all of what I've posted together.

-----

Exclude registry key

HKCU - \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit

Check the "Other Explorer MRUs" box

Uncheck the "RegEdit" box

-----

Together, this will leave the branches expanded, whether regedit is open or closed.

As to your question: what benefit comes from leaving them always expanded?

Like ANY option - Personal Preference...

OK.

Edit: Yep, it worked. Didn't know about that, nor about the favorites option, thanks Andavari. Learn something every day. Brain tired now. Time for a nap. :)

• Moderators

I know exactly what you were doing Login, and your post properly described the test you carried out with just the regedit box checked and all the others unchecked so as not to interfere with your findings.

And it was interesting that leaving regedit open didn't collapse the tree on running CCleaner. Even after refreshing.

No need to lie down mate. :)

Well, I've used CCleaner since its debut and had, uummm, "1" problem?

I fear this may be farewell. :( But I'll keep an eye on this issue should some breakthrough fix be discovered rather than this workaround.

But I'm more than satisfied! Thanks again to one and all!

Hey, Charlie, it's just a small thing, especially since there are all these carefully crafted remedies.