Recovered .mov and .dat files

saroman

I recovered a large number of lost HD video files created with a Canon 5D Mark III DSLR from a CF card to a folder on my PC desktop using Recuva. For each .mov file recovered there is a .dat file with the same name but slightly smaller (e.g., _H6A1535.mov (243,936KB) and _H6A1535.dat (243,840KB)). The individual .mov files won't play in any of the standard media players. Is there a relationship between the .mov and .dat files that I should know about? Is there something I can do to make the video files playable again? Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi saroman, and welcome to the forum.

The fact that the .dat files are slightly smaller than the .mov files suggest that they may be the same but incomplete video files, and have been given the generic .dat file extension because of that. I'm not aware of any hardware that stores .dat files like that.

Have you tried running them through VLC Player, which apparently can play slightly damaged video files which other players baulk at. It may be worth trying both the .mov and the .dat files.

VLC is a free open source player, and does HD.

http://filehippo.com/download_vlc_32/

Something to go at until something better comes along. :)

• Moderators

I wonder if mov+dat=mp4(or other compressed format) and what recuva is finding is the decompressed?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I think, from 5 mins on Google, that the dat files are incomplete MOV files. Don't ask me how these came to be in this state as i don't know. However entering cannon dat mov throws up a lot of hits with many free converters. You could try spending a few hours with Google.

• Moderators

I wonder if mov+dat=mp4(or other compressed format) and what recuva is finding is the decompressed?

I'm reasonably well versed on the container file format, and I've never encountered a video file which contained anything other than a combination of one video and one audio file, and I think I've encountered just about every combination over the last few years.

I'll stick with what Augeas has confirmed with his research, probably an incomplete video file.

As I recall, Canon begins the recording in .dat format, & assigns the .mov after it is complete.

Firefox does similar with it's downloads. They start as .zip.part & end as .zip. Or, if it is .exe, it starts as .exe.part & ends as .exe.

With most files, you will find they are unusable if the download does not complete. With movies & pics, you can usually view whatever progress you had while downloading, before the download went bad for (fill in the blank here___ power went out & computer crashed in the middle of downloading?) whatever reason.

Also, you may note that Firefox may have 2 files for one download, that get merged into a single file at the completion.

I believe that Canon employs similar tactics, but I am unaware if they use a single, or dual container for incomplete files.

* After installing APC battery backup, it seems to have resolved random power outtage/crashes/surges/lockup problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would love to hear what Canon tells you. I have a 32gb CF card that I accidentally formatted, and have been able to recover files, but nothing playable in terms of video. I suspect it's just that the Canon 5d mark iii is new enough that the software doesn't 'understand' the video files or the codec or something.

3 things come to mind:

1) Try to play the files through QuickTime, since it is the default for .Mov files

2) Try to play the files through KMPlayer, since it plays many formats, including .mov, .dat, incomplete, dvd, partial, etc.

3) Install KazaaLite Mega Codec Pack. See if Media Player can play it then.

If your still having problems, I would guess that the files are truncated, corrupt, or incomplete.

I'm in the exact same boat. 5D3, 32gb card. Accidentally formatted. I used various recovery tools all give the same results, a .dat and .mov file. I've managed to recover the image using the Grau HD Repair tool - http://www.grauonline.de/cmsimple2_6/en/?Solutions:HD_Video_Repair_Utility , but that doesn't manage to recover the audio, creating a horrid static sound instead.

Have you had any further luck recovering?

Hi,

I've tried all three to no avail. Both players display black with loud static.

As for file sizes, they range between 300mb-2gb for a few seconds to a few minutes of footage. FYI, I've continued trying that repair program I listed above, and have now managed to get both the audio and video back, the only problem is the loud static also remains.

Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sadly because the way KMPLayer works it may not be possible

There won't be any port to another OS.

KMP is based in DirectShow = only Windows.

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Here is a site that may help you if your using a mac: -> http://www.makeuseof...eo-players-mac/

They list 5 universal players you can use on a mac. Have also heard Haihaisoft Universal Player works on a mac (but unsure, as I have not tested mac yet).

Please report back if any of those do what you want, as well as if they do not.

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem... My 5D Mk3 video files were lost during an accidental re-format of a 250gb WD portable Hard drive!!! DANG IT!!!

What are my chances of recovering the files with the The Grau HD recovery tool?

Guest Keatah

I don't know. I'm not versed in that particular software package. I suspect many folks hang'n around here aren't either.

Chances would be good, with most software, provided you didn't do a full complete format where stuff got zeroed out. AND if you haven't written anything to the disk since the format operation. Just start with Recuva and report back. And remember, no writing to the disk you're trying to recover from!