Someone tried to get into my Facebook account

LuLu

Maybe someone here will have some guesses or something. Last night shortly after 1am, someone tried to gain access to my Facebook account...from Canada. There's one person who knows the email address I use for it, and she's in Ohio so I know it wasn't her. Apparently they never got in, which is good, but I changed my password anyway.

Now I'm just wondering how someone could attempt to get in if they don't know my email address. Also, is there a way someone could gain access without me knowing and actually be viewing my account from time to time or anything? This is the first time this has happened so it's kind of weirded me out. Then I started thinking that maybe someone has a similar email address and typed mine by mistake. I'm sure that could happen. But I may change the email address associated with it just as an extra precaution...

Any takers?

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

Well, does anyone have a grudge against you or something similar?

There are tools on the internet for Facebook Hacking, etc. which have a 80% success rate.

Also, your E-mail address can be viewed by people who are your friends depending on your Security settings.

Cookies, Phishing, etc. ?

Simplicity is hard.

Well if you had linked your Facebook account to other services and sites, it wouldn't be a big surprise that someone besides the people you know would know about your e-mail.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

No grudges that I know of...especially with people in Canada. lol

Email address has always been hidden, and I don't link to other services as far as I can tell. When the apps request access to my info I always click do not allow. I have my stuff pretty much on lock down for that very reason.

Nope, nothing obvious. It was actually just a junk email account that I made up for it and not something anyone would guess. And the password was very random...just letters and numbers that didn't mean anything...so there's no way anyone could guess it. I've since created a new email and password though, just to be on the safe side.

Well your suspicions that it may have been a someone who had mistaken your e-mail for somebody's else's e-mail by coincidence, I wouldn't be so surprised either. But yeah, better tighten up security than taking risks.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

So far nothing out of the ordinary since changing my email and password. I hope it doesn't happen again...

How do you know some one tried to gain access to your account? Fb dont send emails for bad passwords.

Sure it wasn't a scam?

Also never use secret questions,

No fate but what we make

How do you know some one tried to gain access to your account? Fb dont send emails for bad passwords.

Sure it wasn't a scam?

When I put in my password a facebook page came up saying there was an attempt at 1:08am to gain access to my account. It said the country of origin was Canada and then asked me if I recognized the attempt. I was unsure about the whole thing so I closed my browser and switched over to my laptop and got the same page asking me the same questions. It also included the attempt I had just made from my desktop. So when I clicked no (about if I recognized the attempt from Canada) it sent me a link in my email to change my password and such. I still think someone just had a similar email and typed mine by mistake. It would be rare but it could happen. But everything's been ok since I changed the email and password so for now, I'm happy.

When I put in my password a facebook page came up saying there was an attempt at 1:08am to gain access to my account. It said the country of origin was Canada and then asked me if I recognized the attempt. I was unsure about the whole thing so I closed my browser and switched over to my laptop and got the same page asking me the same questions. It also included the attempt I had just made from my desktop. So when I clicked no (about if I recognized the attempt from Canada) it sent me a link in my email to change my password and such. I still think someone just had a similar email and typed mine by mistake. It would be rare but it could happen. But everything's been ok since I changed the email and password so for now, I'm happy.

LuLu if the situation is still worrying you (understandable) why not change your e-mail address as well, particularly as you said it is only a "junk e-mail" address. This time use a password of made up of 3 sets of characters (mixed upper & lower case) & numbers i.e.

er38tY92Fp77 similar to Windows 2008 Server passwords these days.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

fb dont do this,

Actually, yes they do. My friend and I both tested it. She put in a wrong password for my account and I put in a wrong password for her account and we both got the screens telling us about an unrecognized attempt to log in to our accounts including the time and location of the attempt. It's a new security feature, which I think is a good idea. So yes, Facebook does do this.

LuLu if the situation is still worrying you (understandable) why not change your e-mail address as well, particularly as you said it is only a "junk e-mail" address. This time use a password of made up of 3 sets of characters (mixed upper & lower case) & numbers i.e.

er38tY92Fp77 similar to Windows 2008 Server passwords these days.

I did change everything, as I had stated in my reply. And everything's been ok since then. Like I had said...the email is very random and the password is just as bad as as your example. But I still think it was just that someone had a similar email address as mine and they just had a typo in their's which ended up matching my email. But who knows? It's all been changed anyhow so it's all good.

Sure it wasn't a scam?

ident,

Just curious, why not never use secret questions? Is that just for FB (which I'm not on) or for other applications? All of the secure sites like banks and credit cards require the use of secret questions.

Thanks, mjp

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

ident,

Just curious, why not never use secret questions? Is that just for FB (which I'm not on) or for other applications? All of the secure sites like banks and credit cards require the use of secret questions.

Thanks, mjp

Because only a complete tard would use secret question. it's the most easiest way for any one who knows you to gain access to your email address which in turn could lead to access to other emails/paypal/web sites and so on.

If you can not remember a secure password then thats, well £$$£$£%".

The amount of emails we have breached with hardly any information on just a little work on getting the info is laughable.

And no, i dont spend my time taking accounts, there have been reasons which i wont go into,

I cant ever understand why some one would ever use this

lulu, my apologies if fb now do this.

No fate but what we make

Because only a complete tard would use secret question. it's the most easiest way for any one who knows you to gain access to your email address which in turn could lead to access to other emails/paypal/web sites and so on.

If you can not remember a secure password then thats, well £$$£$£%".

The amount of emails we have breached with hardly any information on just a little work on getting the info is laughable.

ident,

My question was what do you do when a secret question or questions are required.

First I am the only one that has access to my computer.

I also have a secure log book to keep track of all my accounts, user names, passwords.

ALSO almost every secure site (banking, credit cards, etc.) REQUIRE security questions in case you have to call them, etc.

As a general rule I don't use the recommended list they give, you know the easy ones, I make up my own questions that only I'd know. For example you can also make up answers that really doesn't match like:

Favorite color, car, whatever....put in any, not even your favorite. (nobody can guess that, could you?)

That's what I wanted to know. mjp

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

ident,

My question was what do you do when a secret question or questions are required.

First I am the only one that has access to my computer.

I also have a secure log book to keep track of all my accounts, user names, passwords.

ALSO almost every secure site (banking, credit cards, etc.) REQUIRE security questions in case you have to call them, etc.

what do i do??? I choose any and type about 30random chars in that i aint even bothered to look at.

Access to your computer is irrelivent since it's asking you this on a server.

Iv not been asked a secret question in over 5 years, it's all numbers now which i remember in my head.

Bank is a 10 didgit unique ref number, then a online pin, then a 20 number pin, plus to even transfer money i need a random card number thats given to me by my card reader here.

How do you keep this log book secure? i think writing them down is a bad idea imo

No fate but what we make

what do i do??? I choose any and type about 30random chars in that i aint even bothered to look at.

Access to your computer is irrelivent since it's asking you this on a server.

Iv not been asked a secret question in over 5 years, it's all numbers now which i remember in my head.

Bank is a 10 didgit unique ref number, then a online pin, then a 20 number pin, plus to even transfer money i need a random card number thats given to me by my card reader here.

How do you keep this log book secure? i think writing them down is a bad idea imo

ident,

First I find this all quite interesting, even from LuLu's original questions about FB and mine on security in general.

On my log book, nobody has access, I can even lock it up if necessary. It would be easier to steal my computer than the books.

I've been asked sec questions from time to time if I need to talk with a bank, investment rep, whatever. Would you believe I did it TODAY when I switched an savings account to a higher interest one, I just told him a few recent transaction numbers (he had it on his screen) and I knew who I was talking to.

Also I'm an MBA with a dual finance/mgt major. I help other people with accounts, even if they're standing right next to me they require secret questions or info to access information.

I can see where your 20 number PIN is quite secure. Banks....and now a new player MEDICAL providers or insurance companies are getting into the security numbers and ID questions game. YES you have to be smart, make that clever and smart.

The days of SS# and mother's madien name are GONE. Nice chat...mjp

A little P.S.

One more thing thing is coming online right now and that's the conversion of ALL of your medical information digital files. (my wife's a nurse in a hospital, the HIPPA and other things are unreal)

If anyone breaks into that they have "the whole picture", your name, address, medical history, sometimes SS#.

So how safe will that encryption be? Any bad medical records clerk can have a field day!

i don't have a fb account,,but when i change and register an e-mail,i always fill with fake info...

even if using secret questions=fake answers.

i always read about these 'social" sites are umprotected ,,#1 reason i don't have an account.