Windows 8.1 refuses to install

Winapp2.ini

Lol..

I hooked up all my drives and peripherals again.. Windows 8 would not boot.. Spent 3 hours trying to will it to boot again and reinstalled, went to adjust my partitions (to account for 2 now deleted msr partitions) and for some reason that formatted my 2tb raid array... Attempting to recuva that now, since there was about 400gb used on it.... So sick of this. This has been a terrible ordeal. All this for a Windows update....

• Moderators

i was going to wait for the official release of Win8.1u1 in April before installing it, but I may even wait longer till the first group of 'lab rats' check it out first !!

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

in case it helps others, I just had a laptop where the 8.1 update was failing at various stages, removed Avast, retried, all good.

• Moderators

in case it helps others, I just had a laptop where the 8.1 update was failing at various stages, removed Avast, retried, all good.

My first thoughts were as yours relating to security software such as real-time antivirus, and 3rd party firewall software which can cause issues with some Microsoft Updates let alone something more critical and major like an OS update/upgrade.

• Moderators

Yeah, I decided no to just disable it but completely removed it and ran the download/install of Win8.1 with no protection, 3 hours or so of unprotected web exposure.

But what can you do.

I could have put on AVG free edition but didn't want to go through @Winapp2.ini 'lost weekend' experience.

Plus it's a huge download at 3.6gig and my download speed is only adequate at best.

• Moderators

though I do have an 18mbps connection

I hate you ;)

I'm on rural acerage, have ADSL2 but am too far from the exchange for that to be a benefit and get about 2mbps

At my last school, I had a 1gbps connection. It was truly magnificient

Was that 1 Gbps per student ?

Or were you hogging the entire resources of the whole school, and making all the other students hate you ?

Was that 1 Gbps per student ?

Or were you hogging the entire resources of the whole school, and making all the other students hate you ?

I'm not sure what the backend was, but we never had any problems pulling multiple gigabits on the academic side or the labs. Only one dorm building had gigabit ethernet wired in, so we had to languish with a measily 100mbps in the dorm room (per wired computer)

• Moderators

Just so everyone knows about the update which is coming for Windows 8.1....

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2014/04/02/windows-8-1-update-important-refinements-to-the-windows-experience.aspx

We have made the Windows 8.1 Update available today for MSDN subscribers, and will begin to roll it out for free to Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 customers via Windows Update next Tuesday April 8th. For the majority of folks, they will receive the update automatically.

If you are still on Windows 8, you can get the Windows 8.1 Update via the Windows Store on April 8th as well.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

just installed the 8.1u1 update and found it interesting that in Control Panel, System, it still says Win 8.1 Pro.

would have thought there would be some sort of indication of SP1 or U1 or something...

• Moderators

Install of the Win 8.1 update 1 was without incident and successful.

Rather large (around 750MB) with reboot and black screen and percentages, but apart from the store icon in the taskbar (which I removed), I haven't noticed much difference as I already had it pretty much set up how I want it anyway.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

@winapp2,

winver shows 6.3 Build 9600, I didn't note what it was beforehand - anyone still on 8.1 (no u1 update) verify this?