CCleaner keeps rearranging my pictures

Johnny Sokko

Hello.

I need help with an issue that's really bugging me.

First, let me please explain how I know that CCleaner is the cause of the issue. Currently, I'm using a new computer that I just purchased. Earlier today, I scanned with CCleaner and then I cleaned what it found. Other than what was already pre-checked by default, no other cleaning options were selected, and a registry scan was not performed.

After cleaning the entries detected by CCleaner, I closed the program and immediately went to my Pictures folder to get something that I wanted to post on Facebook. However, as soon as I opened the folder, I noticed that all of my pictures were now rearranged in a different order than how they were previously. I was in that very same folder about ten minutes before using CCleaner and went back to it immediately after using CCleaner, and in that very short interim of time, something happened causing all of my pictures to become rearranged.

Furthermore, on my old computer, the one that I had been using up until about a week ago, the same thing kept happening. About every week or so (in hindsight, coinciding with my weekly use of CCleaner), I would notice that the pictures in my Pictures folder would always suddenly become rearranged for no apparent reason. I would then put them back into the order that they were in previously and they would stay that way for about a week, but eventually, they would always become rearranged again. At the time, I had no idea what was the cause was. I never even suspected that it had something to do with CCleaner being the cause.

Now, though, with what just happened on my new computer, I'm sure that the issue has something to do with Cleaner. And just to be clear, I am not trying to bash CCleaner in any way. I am simply saying that CCleaner seems to be removing something during the cleaning process which keeps causing an unintended effect to occur. And I need help figuring out exactly what it is.

Thanks.

Thanks for the possible suggestions.

Make sure you don't have Window Size/Location Cache  ticked under the Advanced section.

I opened CCleaner to check and see if that had somehow gotten ticked, but it isn't.

Also if you're using the community winapp2.ini file make sure you untick/disable anything that mentions BagMRU, Bags, or ShellBags as those can or will also reset folder options.

Nope, not using any of that.

I would like to add some information that I forgot to include in my first post. Maybe this will help to track down the cause of the issue. When I mentioned how the pictures in my Pictures folder routinely become rearranged after using CCleaner, I probably should have been more specific regarding what I meant by "rearranged," so I'll go ahead and do that now.

Here's what I meant: There are settings in Windows which allow you to control how files are stored in various folders. For example, in my Pictures folder, it was originally set to store all of my pictures in chronological order so that the pictures would appear in the folder in the same order that they were added, with the newest ones being on the bottom. That's how I prefer it to be. But after using CCleaner the pictures become rearranged. However, the pictures are not being rearranged in a completely random fashion, as I may have implied. Instead, the pictures are being placed into alphabetical order.

Does that help?

My thought is, since there is an actual Windows setting which allows you to chose how certain files are stored in certain folders (i.e., alphabetically vs. chronologically), it seems clear to me that CCleaner is somehow affecting whatever controls that setting and changing it from chronological to alphabetical. And with that now known, I'm hoping that it can be determined exactly what CCleaner is accidentally removing, leading to the problem being caused.

Any ideas?