Ccleaner and System Restore

SueMcK

• Moderators
No, I didn't run any other cleaner programs while I ran CCleaner.  I did have other programs running so maybe that was the problem.

No that couldnt have caused it. I was just trying to see what programs you have running. I dont think anyone has ever said CCleaner wiped their system restore. To be honest I dont know. Wait to see what a couple of others here have to say, espescially Djlizard, Tarun, and TwistedMetal. They should be able to help you sort this out.

I feel pretty sure it was not CCleaner, I have run it numerous times tonight as I am having a major clean up of my computer.

Just checked what restore points I have and there are 15.

After all that I have done tonight using CCleaner and other cleaning utility, if any of them were going to remove restore points it would have happened to my computer.

System restore has a set amount of hard drive space that is used for restore points (which is adjustable by the user), maybe it just happened that the restore point created by CCleaner needed all that space, therefore removing all previous restore points.

Do you have a restore point with todays date on it, or are they literally all gone?

Did you have any to start with?

Is system restore turned on?

System restore is turned on. I have restore points from just before installing CCleaner and several after that point. Everything seems to be running good so hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks for your help.

System restore is turned on.  I have restore points from just before installing CCleaner and several after that point.  Everything seems to be running good so hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome Sue.

• Moderators
System restore has a set amount of hard drive space that is used for restore points (which is adjustable by the user), maybe it just happened that the restore point created by CCleaner needed all that space, therefore removing all previous restore points.

Since I only allow System Restore to maintain approximately 5 backups at any given time I've never ran into it removing old restore points to comply with the space setting it's configured for. Since using CCleaner I've never seen a restore point added from it's installation, I've noticed this behaviour from different types of installers, for instance Inno Setup doesn't trigger the automatic creation of a restore point at least it doesn't with the installation packages I create.

A question: Does System Restore automatically remove old restore points once the maximum allowed disk space is used without notifying the user, or does it notify the user?

• 9 years later...

My understanding (or misunderstanding) of this issue is fundamentally different to much of what has been posted so far.  I understand that CCleaner does remove Restore Points if the box in the option to  Wipe Unused Space (or whatever it is called) is not checked correctly.  Anyone who does not want Restore Points interfered with, and I think that is most of us,  must find that option and examine what it is set to. I am saying this from memory and will check that I have it right.

This topic came up in another thread a little while ago ----- I was looking for it when I came across this discussion.

clayto

• Moderators

It would've probably been better to just create a brand new topic than revive a 10 years old one, however we've learned things about this issue since then:

Wipe Free Space fills the whole unused portion of the hard disk causing Windows to run out of disk space, and Windows reacts by automatically deleting restore points to regain disk space. To prevent this what I do is temporarily stop the System Restore Service which results into the restore points being left safely intact.

PS. I have found the earlier discussion and my contribution to it ------ it confirms what I say about getting the option with regard to wiping unused space right . I  think the discussion is 'CCleaner and Restore Points' or something similar.

clayto

• Moderators

revive a 10 years old one,
:o

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com