Gamers: What do you think of new consoles already?

rridgely

• Moderators

For the gamers on the forum, what do you think about Microsoft and Playstation possibly putting out new versions of the ps4/xbox one already? Rumors are saying that they may come out this year and be as much as twice as powerful as the current consoles?

Personally I'm not thrilled. I already own both the ps4 and xbox one. I doubt I will upgrade either though as my pc is already better than both. The one thing that could make me upgrade is if they do something really cool with VR. Even then though by the time I bought a console and the VR headset I could just buy the Oculus Rift and use it on my pc. (probably more games there anyway). 

• Moderators

PS4 4K I've heard some news about watching the Machinima channel on YouTube, and how games made for 4K will also have to support the lower res HD qualities. Don't really care if they upgrade them more quickly or not since I have no need for a 4K yet. I almost think the rush to get 4K on consoles has to do with VR headsets!

This is both good and bad since the consoles can be quite expensive, and I wonder will introducing upgraded hardware more rapidly just continue the current trend of "B.A.G." which someone coined as buggy ass games (he must've played Just Cause 3), since many games on the "Next Gen" systems seem significantly more buggy than the previous systems. Although from my experience I go through a console (due to them breaking down, especially the optical disc drives) about every 2 years and have to buy a new one, so when I'd have to buy a new one and if that purchase meant I'd be getting something more powerful I'm fine with that.

It would be nice if both companies would implement a trade-in program where you could get at least $100 for your used but still working console to go towards buying a new console, then those used consoles parts could go through a certification and be used to fill up the parts bin for old consoles when doing warranty repairs since when a console fails not all parts inside of it are useless - I remember cannibalizing original PS1's for parts to make a broken PS1 work again, did the same with Sega Dreamcasts for several years.

• Moderators

I've never had a console break on me. I still have my original xbox 360 which isn't a launch one but it is the original white one. 

I'm not sure if I will upgrade any of my consoles or not. NVIDIA just announced new graphics cards that are pretty impressive. Price wise it would be cheaper to buy the new gtx 1070 and it will probably beat the ps4 neo. I'm going to wait a while though as my current pc is still pretty impressive on most games. 

I'm just not thrilled with the idea of upgrading consoles regularly. The good thing about consoles is you buy one and you were supposed to be good for 5+ years. Now they are going to upgrade them like cell phones or tablets. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find this generation of consoles to be in an odd spot. When they came out, most mid-range PC's were at the same level, and due to them having a more standardized x86 chipset like PC's, it seemed like there would not be as many "tricks" to getting the most out of the consoles' hardware, like the PS3's Cell processor of the IBM Xenon tri-core of the X360. I would understand why they would do it, but at the same time I think they're negating the fact that consoles are a "set it and forget it" kind of implementation. They risk burning the consumers' good faith as well.

Personally, I am a PC gamer primarily, and only own a Wii U. I just bought a Corsair 750 D in anticipation of a new build this year; I'm still rocking an i7 920 based system, (I can go into upgrades I've done over since I bought it) but was holding out for the Pascal NVIDIA and Polaris AMD cards before buying. 

• Moderators

I'm getting a gtx 1080 this Friday if they are still available at microcenter. I upgraded my i5 4590 to i7 4790k this weekend and bumped up my ram to 16gb. I'm ready because I really think I may get an oculous or vibe this summer. :D 

This mid generation upgrade is making me sour on the consoles. I usually just get them all eventually but I refuse to upgrade them all. If I'm going to be doing regular updates I would rather do that on pc.