More paths to clean

Andavari

• Moderators
Suggestion, have CCleaner clean the paths below since they aren't currently dealt with at all.

I think support of cleaning the paths will have to be something officially implemented from Piriform because adding them in as an end-user fails.

Specs:
* CCleaner v5.05.5176
* WinXP Pro SP3

The Comodo Dragon setup for whatever reason causes Windows to create these folders (including an additional ntuser.dat). CCleaner does NOT clean the Cookies, Temporary Internet Files, or History and inputting them into a 'Custom Files and Folders' and 'winapp2.ini' can't deal with them. For instance the cookies in "LocalService.NT AUTHORITY" remain.

New paths to clean:

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService.NT AUTHORITY\Cookies
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService.NT AUTHORITY\Local Settings\HISTORY
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService.NT AUTHORITY\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY\Cookies
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY\Local Settings\HISTORY
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
And here's more:
C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP\Cookies
C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP\Local Settings\History
C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP.NT AUTHORITY\Cookies
C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP.NT AUTHORITY\Local Settings\History
C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP.NT AUTHORITY\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

I initially thought Comodo Dragon caused the creation of those folders but it's not at fault, nonetheless they need cleaning support.

Edited by Andavari
added more paths

• Moderators

the .NT AUTHORITY portion isn't normally there, from memory (haven't had to reload XP for a while) XP puts the addition suffix on when you do a repair install of Windows.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

you may not have repair installed XP but your system must have had some sort of user profile issue.

for some reason, XP couldn't access the normal profile and had to create ones with the special system user NT AUTHORITY.

not that the reason matters, the fact that those paths can have additional info whacked on the end, I've seen .ADMINISTRATOR, .001 and .002 for example, would make it hard to pinpoint what paths to look for.

also, since the free CC version only looks at the currently logged on user profile, would it even look for those others, as you could argue they are other 'users' so to speak?  (just throwing ideas out there for thought) :)

• Moderators

mta you're correct!

I looked in the EventLog and it was full of errors going back to March 10, 2015. After doing a search I found a Microsoft article about removing SID in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" but that didn't help at all. Microsoft's method 2 fix was very vague, and Microsoft's method 1 "fix" of deleting my user profile didn't sound like something I wanted to do because my user profile wasn't messed up.

So I changed the paths indicated in that registry path to fix the profiles NetworkService and LocalService, and upon startup I could then delete those "temporary" profiles. It sure would've been nice if Windows would've notified of something instead of it's usual fashion of hiding things but it was at least able to automatically workaround the problem until I eventually fixed it.

Interesting that both NetworkService and LocalService had the error occur simultaneously and that was at the time I had Avira Free Antivirus installed and it wouldn't update anymore for most people according to their forums. At least I now know how to manually fix such an issue by editing the registry.

----------

Since those paths I listed in post 1 really have nothing to do with CCleaner not supporting them, etc., and were instead caused by a Windows error I've moved this topic out of the CCleaner Suggestions area and into the general Software area.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

glad you got it sorted.

you are indeed master of your pc once again (well, for the time being) :)

• Moderators

It happened again, and this time I found the culprit. It was Free Registry Defrag (a registry defrag/optimizer). I tested it three times and each time it caused the errors for the LocalService and NetworkService profiles causing them to get moved/copied into those temporary directories. I uninstalled Free Registry Defrag!

I decided to test NTRegOpt (a registry defrag/optimizer) since I occasionally use it. I tested it three times and it did NOT cause any issues. So should I feel like performing a registry defrag/optimization I'll use NTRegOpt from now on.

• Moderators

NTregopt looks like it was last updated 2005 and FRD in 2010.

would be fine for XP but I'm not sure I'd trust them on modern Win7 and 8 registry's.

plus I've never understood the purpose to defrag the 'registry', surely what they really mean is defrag the physical files that make up the registry; like SAM and SOFTWARE and those others I can't recall right now (geez, I'm not a total geek you know)

I mean, optimise the registry, sparingly and cautiously, yeah OK, but how much performance is gained from defragging it?

(if only we lived in a technological age where we had some sort of device, probably electronic, capable of interacting with, that we could look these things up with) :D

NTregopt looks like it was last updated 2005 and FRD in 2010.

would be fine for XP but I'm not sure I'd trust them on modern Win7 and 8 registry's.

plus I've never understood the purpose to defrag the 'registry', surely what they really mean is defrag the physical files that make up the registry; like SAM and SOFTWARE and those others I can't recall right now (geez, I'm not a total geek you know)

I mean, optimise the registry, sparingly and cautiously, yeah OK, but how much performance is gained from defragging it?

(if only we lived in a technological age where we had some sort of device, probably electronic, capable of interacting with, that we could look these things up with) :D

I think the idea is that the hives act as a database, and much like sqlite databases can be "vacuumed" to remove dead space and make them smaller, I suspect this is what is attempted on the registry hives. Coming purely from speculation though.

• Moderators

I'd go with the description winapp2.ini gave.

On one occasion many years ago using a reg defrag program fixed an issue I had with a previous Windows install.

Edit:

I always knew any of them had the potential to mess something up, and after 10+ years of using them I finally was struck with an issue - luckily one easy to undo.

Edited by Andavari