CCleaner crash Windows 7 Services !

moses_x

So, this is the problem that i was getting in my new Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits installation without knowing the culprit:

if i try to disable a service from manual or automatic, no problems, but when i try to go from disable to manual or automatic, i receive a message error: The system cannot find the path specified. But if a go to registry, i can change the startup type with no problems and it works, but for some reason, after the change (Man/Auto to Dis then change from dis to Man/Auto on registry)when i try to change from manual or automatic to disable like before, now i?ve got the same error. Any idea what is going wrong ?

So i?ve decide reinstall everything again and test with image points (using acronis trueimage). Every thing was fine until i?ve run CCleaner (not registry). After the clean, the problems starts. With some " restore/test" i?ve discovered the problem:

When you check Advanced Windows files/IIS Log Files, CCleaner clean inside this folder: C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles. Unfortunately, inside this folder there is another folder called Scm, which unlike other windows versions (XP doesn?t have it; Vista 32 have it with SCM.EVM file that can?t be deleted), is empty on 7. So CCleaner understand that this folder can be deleted, and the problem with services starts to occurs.

Recreating this folder, all problems go away.

So, my recomendation is: disable IIS Log files clean !!!

Maybe a next release of CCleaner can also ignore this folder by default, even with IIS Log files enable.

• Moderators

Hi moses, and welcome to Piriform.

Those are interesting findings you've posted, which I'm sure will be of interest to other win 7 users, and the CCleaner devs.

In the meantime, you could use CCleaners "Exclude" feature, "CCleaner\Options\Exclude File or Folder", to protect that particular folder from being "cleaned" with the other folder contents.

This means you could keep the "Windows files/IIS Log Files" box checked.

Hi moses, and welcome to Piriform.

Those are interesting findings you've posted, which I'm sure will be of interest to other win 7 users, and the CCleaner devs.

In the meantime, you could use CCleaners "Exclude" feature, "CCleaner\Options\Exclude File or Folder", to protect that particular folder from being "cleaned" with the other folder contents.

This means you could keep the "Windows files/IIS Log Files" box checked.

Yes.........it?s a option. Thanks for the hint.

Some interesting info. I had a problem with W7's reliability monitor not being able to collect data. I wonder if it could have been related to the logs? As of now I have IIS unchecked and the reliability monitor works fine. But its only a suspicion.

Im adding an exclusion in case I forget. Thanks for the heads up :D

Never had such a problem with the latest CCleaner and Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit. :blink:

I have virtually all services disabled in my configuration and never had problems re-enabling them...where's the ReadyBoost service that use to be in Vista? :P

Are you sure you're not using any other Disk or Registry Cleaners besides CCleaner?

Any chance you messed with GPedit.msc and disable some Windows functions in there?

Have you scanned you system with the latest antivirus and antimalware software with updated definitions?

I have been looking for a fix to this same problem for a long time. Thank you for posting this fix, I have around 12 services on my desktop that would not start cause of this issue. However on my laptop this problem does not occur yet both machines have the same software and Windows 7 version. You have ended a lot of frustration.

It was messing up these services, the only ones I found at least.

Computer Browser

IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules

Human Interface Device Access

IPsec Policy Agent

KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Portable Device Enumerator Service

Tablet PC Input Service

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

WebClient

Windows Defender

Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework

Windows Error Reporting Service

Some new informations: i have said that my scm folder was empty. Yes, it was because i have disable task schedule, and no files were created inside this. Enabling task scheduler, files start to be created. So, when you run CC with files inside this folder, only the files inside are deleted. If you run again CC with this folder empty, CC delete this folder and all other ones that is empty (the problems occurs only when scm is deleted, i don?t know what can occurs when the others are deleted). So, maybe the solution for this "bug" is to do CC not delete empty folders inside logfiles. I used to use PowerTools Lite from Macecraft and this software already clean logfiles folder, but only the files inside, not the folders, even been empty.