PC slower not faster after CCleaner

raycer

What aspect of the system is running slow? Slow disk access? Slow FPS in games? Sluggish mouse & keyboard? Which application has slowed significantly? All? Something specific?

I don't play games so I can't say about that. Mouse and keyboard are fine. Problem is with opening all programs, applications, files, documents, Firefox, Outlook Express etc.

As I mentioned in post 20, I've had these 3 security programs installed in my PC for several years without any problem with slow running before.

This indicates your security is not the cause - ASSUMING that you have not updated your security and your A.V. signatures.

But then of course all sorts of nasties can climb on-board if security is not up to date.

Sometimes an A.V. signature update can go horribly wrong a kill performance or even delete system files.

• Moderators

Looking at your startup items image above, I can see one of the causes of inexplicable slowdown in computers ...

CTFMON.exe.

It caused constant problems for me a long time back with my XP machine, and it's a service most users don't need running. You'll only need it if this applies to you ...

Ctfmon is the Microsoft process that controls Alternative User Input and the Office Language bar. It’s how you can control the computer via speech or a pen tablet, or using the onscreen keyboard inputs for asian languages.

Unfortunately it isn't s simple process of disabling it from startup, as it will simply return the next time you start your computer.

Have a read here ...

http://www.pchell.co...rt/ctfmon.shtml

Of course you can always start it again if you ever need it.

I also have recollections of Spybot's "TeaTimer.exe" causing slowdowns. I would disable TeaTimer for a while to see if it may make a difference ...

The TeaTimer monitors processes running on your computer and disables them if they are malicious. While this can provide some machines with extra protection, it is also a large drain on system resources. If your machine is lagging, disabling TeaTimer is a quick way to free up system memory. You can do so by tailoring Spybot's options.

http://www.ehow.com/...eatimerexe.html

Worth a try if you haven't already done so.

• Moderators

Looking at your startup items image above, I can see one of the causes of inexplicable slowdown in computers ...

CTFMON.exe.

It caused constant problems for me a long time back with my XP machine, and it's a service most users don't need running. You'll only need it if this applies to you ...

Good spot, because CTFMON.exe can bring XP to a crawl.

Guest Keatah

I fully understand you had these three security applications installed and functional before. CCleaner used to reset MSE (by deleting a log), and that caused it to do a full scan all over again. Just say'n.. It's just something I'd look at for about a minute or two if I was hands-on over there. In fact, it would be 1 of probably 300 things I'd check within the hour I typically allot myself when repairing recalcitrant systems.

It may be that you need a live technician to do a hands on inspection. Many times something that is missed in conversation through message boards shows up instantly to an in-person tech inspection.

At this point we don't have solid confirmation of what is happening at boot time. No trace logs have been run. We don't know the raw transfer rate of the disk. We don't know if the CPU is throttling itself for some reason, thermal or otherwise. Plenty of unknowns to explore. Could even be a drive getting hung up on a marginal sector. Maybe there's bad hardware. Maybe a bad port. Who's to say what's what without continued examination?

Could be a BIOS setting. Though CCleaner doesn't change settings there. But it's something I'd be looking over if I was repairing a system.

Lots of possibilities to explore.

This indicates your security is not the cause - ASSUMING that you have not updated your security and your A.V. signatures.

But then of course all sorts of nasties can climb on-board if security is not up to date.

Sometimes an A.V. signature update can go horribly wrong a kill performance or even delete system files.

All updated regularly

I fully understand you had these three security applications installed and functional before. CCleaner used to reset MSE (by deleting a log), and that caused it to do a full scan all over again. Just say'n.. It's just something I'd look at for about a minute or two if I was hands-on over there. In fact, it would be 1 of probably 300 things I'd check within the hour I typically allot myself when repairing recalcitrant systems.

It may be that you need a live technician to do a hands on inspection. Many times something that is missed in conversation through message boards shows up instantly to an in-person tech inspection.

At this point we don't have solid confirmation of what is happening at boot time. No trace logs have been run. We don't know the raw transfer rate of the disk. We don't know if the CPU is throttling itself for some reason, thermal or otherwise. Plenty of unknowns to explore. Could even be a drive getting hung up on a marginal sector. Maybe there's bad hardware. Maybe a bad port. Who's to say what's what without continued examination?

Could be a BIOS setting. Though CCleaner doesn't change settings there. But it's something I'd be looking over if I was repairing a system.

Lots of possibilities to explore.

I get the feeling this is a major task - beyond my capabilities. Thanks for all the responses. I've never had so many from a forum before.

By the way, have you checked for malware, as Hazelnut suggested in post 8?

Anyway, Raycer, before you spend money. . .

I had same thing on win xp, sloooowed down & stayed slow. System fast, win xp slow.

There is a topic about it on the Sandboxie forum. http://www.sandboxie...opic.php?t=8605

None of the usual remedies helped. I learned things you might be interested in.

- Spybot S&D was slowing me down a lot, and the tea timer was the main culprit.

- Spybot S&D itself changed over the years, even though I didn't reinstall it. Got slower, imho.

- over the years, I had installed many security apps, then uninstalled them later.

- There is some sort of cumulative effect from installing all that stuff.

- Don't understand why, but uninstalling old apps didn't help (after the slowdown started).

- Some of our members probably know why uninstalling doesn't help. It won't hurt my feelings if they explain.

I got the system back up, but it was still slow, so I finally just reinstalled win xp from the oem disks. It came out much faster, and still is. Thats a pain in the neck, waiting for all the updates, but worth it, imho.

My security setup now, on win xp, is this:

Avast! antivirus, Outpost firewall, SpywareBlaster, and MBAM on demand.

Plus, I use a virtualizer app when on the net. I use Powershadow, DennisD uses Returnil, both work well at protecting your system from changes, but both require a bit of getting used to.

Plus, I use a system backup app. There are good free ones, Macrium, for one.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

There's some clues that it could be security software related because it was stated these are the installed security apps "SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot-S&D, and Avast Antivirus."

They could possibly conflict with each other, reason being:

* SuperAntiSpyware I know has some service that runs all the time, even in the freeware version.

* Spybot-S&D I know has the ability to enable real-time protection via its TeaTimer.

* Avast Antivirus we all know has real-time protection via several real-time shields.

This is just an assumption but I'd assume there could be some conflict between them, even though the original poster stated they've been used for years together that doesn't gaurantee things will stay running smoother - but those security apps are always releasing new versions and with SuperAntiSpyware and Avast Antivirus they have several definition/signature file updates each day that out-of-nowhere could conflict with each other.

- over the years, I had installed many security apps, then uninstalled them later.

Installing and then uninstalling leaves stuff behind, and with security apps most leave plenty behind in the registry alone. Whenever I remove an antivirus or firewall on XP I started always re-building the Windows Repository Cache for what Security Center detects as the installed antivirus and firewall.

Edited by Andavari

Did you use Secure Deletion (overwrite) and/or Wipe Free Space while you cleaned with CCleaner? How much free space you have on your HDD/SSD (which one you have)?

Have you rebooted multiple times after the cleaning (not just once)?

• 2 weeks later...

MY PC IS FAST. IM A PC TECH. BUT I WANNA MAKE IT MORE FASTER BY CLEANING THE JUNK FILES AND UNNECESSARY, LINKS AND SOME REGISTRY JUNKS. BUT MY PC SLOWS AFTER CLEANING WITH CCLEANER.. ATHE OVERALL ASPECT...BOOT TIME.. A FEW SECONDS SLOWER... ON FPS GAMES.. SLOW MOVEMENT ON ANY GAMES/.. MY PC IS FAST BUT WHY IT HAPPENED. I SUSPECT CCLEANER CHANGE OR TWEAKS SOME REGISTRY SETTINGS. MY O.S. IS WIN XP......I USE ZSOFT NOW. IM ANALYZING USING MY OTHER PC....

pls take a look at the settings i use during cleaning. post-66155-0-14040100-1366977771_thumb.jpg the pic is taken on my old pc i use now with zsoft. the actual pc is = cpu:3ghz amd x2 athlon, 2 gig ddr3 memory, (700mb shared video) mobility radeon, 320 gb hard disk

pls pm me if there be any registry fix, patch for this ..or i have to format the pc's on my netcafe..its slowing obviously dude,, just recently by ccleaner....my email: email address removed by moderator to avoid spamming

unfortunately.. i did not make the registry backup bacause i was confident that with the settings i use.. no problem would occur... too late, im using "zsoft uninstaller" now to see what ccleaner changes to the registry... but it seem even just by installing and letting it analyze without cleaning and without fixing it already add, deletes registry entries ..aww....deletes

look: zsoft on ccleaner.txt

sorry. im new here. i dont know to navigate around posts. i though its all about " PC slower not faster after CCleaner" as can be read above.. (hopefully a solution bro. before more can get into this kind of problem) this is the report log of the analysis of zsoft uninstaller on my pc that was not previously cleaned with ccleaner until i perform this analysis, therefore it is valid and can serve as reference when piriform is up to solving this issue.........

cc.txt

post-66155-0-10797300-1367002500_thumb.jpg

post-66155-0-79976600-1367002514_thumb.jpg