Multiply RAM speed by number of memory modules, or display each module individually

Jimbo512

Often when talking about comptuer specs, we might describe RAM speed as "16GB DDR3-1333". However when you use Speccy to view the same RAM installed in a computer, it might look like this...

2014-12-16_191803.png

As you can see, it only says the RAM is "16.0GB DDR3 @ 666MHz".

Why is this so much slower than 1333? Well, there are 2 sticks of RAM installed, and Speccy is not multiplying 666 x 2 = 1333.

So! I can think of two ways you could optimize how Speccy displays RAM.

Method 1: Put each stick of RAM on its own line.

• 8.0GB DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • 8.0GB DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Method 2: Multiply the RAM speed by the number of sticks.

• 16.0GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (9-9-9-24)

Leaving the user to guess the number of sticks of RAM installed in order to figure out the real RAM speed is not ideal. We should make it as clear as possible for the user.

Leaving the user to guess the number of sticks of RAM installed in order to figure out the real RAM speed is not ideal.

RAM speed is not determined by the number of modules, but by doubling the lowest rated DDR module in the set.

If you removed one module you would still have an effective transfer rate of 1333 MHz cos of the doubling rate of DDR modules, which transfer data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal.

Wow, interesting. I always assumed it was the number of modules. I stand corrected. :D

Let me amend my suggestion. Let me suggest that Speccy always double the RAM speed. That would bring it more in line with the RAM speeds seen on RAM specifications, motherboard specifications, and the like. For example...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188115 - On this motherboard specification page, under "Memory Standard", the possible memory speeds are all doubled.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347 - On this RAM specification page, under Speed, the max memory speed is doubled.