Permanent Deletion

actrambley21

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I am curious as to whether or not CCleaner PERMANENTLY deletes files, not just applies them to the background of the computer for later recovery or anything else. I'm attempting to sell the computer that I am on, and even though I am using the internet on it, I need to keep the computer as clean and with as much data space as possible.

Please let me know if CCleaner does this function!

Welcome actrambley21

This has been discussed before and that is where Search comes in handy that is in the upper right.

There are two applications with the first being Eraser and the other being DBAN.

Google is your friend.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• 3 months later...
Welcome actrambley21

This has been discussed before and that is where Search comes in handy that is in the upper right.

There are two applications with the first being Eraser and the other being DBAN.

Google is your friend.

hi, what do you mean, google is your friend, sounds ominous, I too am still looking for a straight answer to the question Does CCleaner remove files permanently or are they still somewhere on the pc taking up room ?

am not too clever with pc stuff so please please please someone just say yes or no, am begging you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I am curious as to whether or not CCleaner PERMANENTLY deletes files, not just applies them to the background of the computer for later recovery or anything else. I'm attempting to sell the computer that I am on, and even though I am using the internet on it, I need to keep the computer as clean and with as much data space as possible.

Please let me know if CCleaner does this function!

hi, have just posted reply to the reply you got, the google is your friend thing, there seems to be no straight answer to this one, it's driving me nuts, someone please just say yes or no...............!!!!!!

So I have sent a mail to yokenny about this, hoping he can clear it up, so you're not the only one out here who just cannot get the answer to this one. :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

• Moderators

Perhaps that's because you're asking the wrong question. Does CCleaner permanently delete file data? Yes. Will CC remove all traces of my previous activity from the hard disk? No (with proviso below).

If you are passing on your pc with the operating system still installed then I suggest that you backup what you wish and remove all your personal data without exception, including your emails. You can use CC to permanently overwrite this data. This will be a good start. You should also uninstall all applications you don't want to pass on, or will not be licenced to the new user.

The free space on the drive will very likely contain deleted data that could be retrieved. You should 'clean' this free space on the drive using an application such as YoKenny suggested. These applications work by overwriting all free space.

The proviso about CC is that the latest version offers a wipe free space function. However as this is unfmiliar with the majority of users I would advise using one of YK's suggested applications at the moment.

I'm not sure what the problem is with using Google.