Cannot defrag larger game files, "Defrag aborted. Operation cannot be done"

bart95

So I noticed that Guild Wars 2, Team Fortress 2 and other games contain the most fragments of the largest size. But whenever I try to defrag them, they all reach around 30% before the client says: "Defrag aborted. No files were defragmented. The operation cannot be done."

So...why? It gets to 30%ish then just stops without giving me a reason. Why can't I defragment my games? They take ages to load and I assume it's because they're fragmented. :L

The latest version has questionable performance with Pagefile.

I might be worth trying the previous version held at FileHippo.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/tech/

Is it possible that what you need to defrag a 50 GB file is NOT 50 GB of Free Space but 50 GB of CONTIGUOUS Free Space.

Perhaps your 200 GB Free Space is broken up into smaller 20 GB fragments by a few scattered files.

Perhaps a preliminary defrag of only Free space might help,

unless of course Windows has the scattered files "in use" and unmoveable.

Perhaps a screen shot showing a Defraggler Analyse display would be useful.

I ask questions because my skill is not with defraggler but in thinking "outside the box".

Tried that. Did SOME but not all of TF2 fragments. And some of the games I want to defrag aren't even steam... Guild Wars 2 for example, as shown in the image. And not all steam games have the defrag option anyway.

• Moderators

You don't mention as to whether you've checked out the "contiguous free space" aspect of this.

Although you have a lot of free space, if that's fragmented to the point where you don't have a block of free space big enough for one of these large files, then you'll have an issue.

Until you check out possible solutions, and report back your findings, there's no point in trying to find another reason or reasons until then. We may be chasing the solution which has been overlooked.

:)

33zbvpg.jpg

I've defragged my entire hard drive, these are the only two files left. The top one never vanishes even though it manages to defrag. GW2.dat remains and still gives the 'aborted' message. And I still have a ton of red blocks on the display, none of which are linked to either file. Help?

Maybe GW locked the file so you wouldn't mess with it. :)

If you haven't yet, tick all four. http://forum.pirifor...ndpost&p=224577

You're spending oh so much valued time defragging just to save a few milliseconds of file search, and consider the wear and tear of defragging. Too much can wreck your drive.

Realize that your HDD retrieves data at lightning speed, an avg 9 milliseconds for data seek, so a slightly fragged drive is really inconsequential.