Microsoft Pulls KB2982791 After 4 Days of Blue Screens

hazelnut

• Moderators

Reports of blue-screening systems started almost immediately after Microsoft released its updates for August. Though some were not affected by the issue, those that were spent a lot of time this past week trying to source the exact problem and come up with workarounds.

Late on Friday, Microsoft finally acknowledged the problem, updated the security bulletin to confirm, and removed update KB2982791.

Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this update.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/microsoft-pulls-kb298271-after-4-days-blue-screens

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello hazelnut - Thank you for finding this. I did experience a BSOD on my HP laptop about an hour after applying the last round of updates. Something to do with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Since it was the very first BSOD I have had with this machine, I had a feeling that the updates had something to do with it. I did do several Google searches trying to figure what happened, but I guess it was too soon to find any results. The next time I boot that machine, I'll uninstall update KB2982791. Thanks again - Derek.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

thanks for the heads-up, it made me look at my updates, saw it there and although no blue screens, I pulled it anyway.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

You might need to uninstall more updates as Microsoft has removed the download links to these updates while these issues are being investigated.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791

Microsoft is investigating behavior in which fonts do not render correctly after any of the following updates are installed:
2982791 MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014
2970228 Update to support the new currency symbol for the Russian ruble in Windows
2975719 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2
2975331 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012

Microsoft is investigating behavior in which systems may crash with a 0x50 Stop error message (bugcheck) after any of the following updates are installed:
2982791 MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014
2970228 Update to support the new currency symbol for the Russian ruble in Windows
2975719 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2
2975331 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Never had a problem with this update on my Win 7 system. But I removed it anyway. Just in case. Did the BSODs show up in Win 8 only ?

Now I understand why some (security) updates aren't available (anymore) on the MS website. I have downloaded every Win 7 update and I intend to slipstream all the updates. (Haven't found the time to actually do it yet).

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I read the MS Support page and I have a question - after the "Known Issues" section, there is a 12-step "Mitigations" section.  Is it necessary to go through those steps in addition to uninstalling the listed updates?  If yes, does it matter which is done 1st - uninstall then mitigation, or, mitigation then uninstall?

(thank you MS) :angry:

Neither of my Win7 PCs have had a BSOD since installing the updates, but still...

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

I don't think it's necessary Nikki to do the 12 steps unless you have the 'real issues'' in starting the machine due to the updates.

Uninstalling  should be enough for most folk.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Uninstalling  should be enough for most folk.

It should do a rollback to the previous version. Hopefully it uninstalls correctly for those affected, I've read about horror stories in the past about some rollbacks failing from botched updates.

• Moderators

I guess most of us are playing safe, but really, if we weren't getting any BSoD's we could have just left everything as it was.

I'm leaving mine at just pulling the original KB update and see how it goes.

• Moderators

I guess most of us are playing safe, but really, if we weren't getting any BSoD's we could have just left everything as it was.

I'm leaving mine at just pulling the original KB update and see how it goes.

That's right mta, uninstalling is enough for the majority of us. Those other measures are only required if you have problems with those updates after installing them.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

theoretically you could argue - no problems now, no problems later.

like most of us here, I only pulled the update to be on the overly-cautious side.

if it ain't broke, don't touch it.

you can always pull it at any time down the track if you do start getting BSoD's.

the decision is yours...

If the update is defective and causes instant BSOD's etc on some systems,

can you be confident that this defective update is PERFECTLY providing the intended benefits on the the systems which still APPEAR to work ?

QUESTION :-

If this defective update is retained, and after subsequent Patch Tuesday updates a problem does arise,

will it be more difficult to uninstall this defective update.

I was only one of many XP user victims of the Microsoft Fiasco called Net Framework,

which is effectively a high rise tower of wooden sheds built on-top of one another,

and an "urgently needed security update" could not be installed in Net Framework 2.0 because of problems in the foundations of either 1.1 or 1.0.

Unfortunately the only solution for was was to total uninstall 2.0 then 1.1 then 1.0.

Many of us were even more unfortunate - the operating system had lost the manifests which told it the precise stages of un-installation,

and my only solution was to restore the partition image backup which I had created before the failed attempt of that "urgently needed security update".

An ingrowing toenail does not hurt you until it gets established and cause inflammation to grow over it.

Do not wait for gangrene to set in and then have a surgeon remove the leg :o

It's been 2 days since I uninstalled both updates from 2 Win7 machines and so far, no problems.

I hadn't experienced any BSOD's or other problems after initially installing the updates, so I was just being overly cautious by removing them.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

The other day I uninstalled KB2982791 and had no problems for the rest of the day. I used the machine several more times over the following few days without any further problems, so I thought that alone fixed the issue. Then this evening I experienced another BSOD with the same message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", followed by an automatic reboot. Shortly after that, I experienced a new problem. My mouse pointer froze up and would not respond at all. After hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete I was able to log out and then log back in, and the pointer responded normally. Then I shut the machine down, put it away, and fired up my trusty Lenovo T400 in order to do some Google searches then post here.

It seems the message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is related to either a device driver or a kernel driver trying to access a memory address it's not supposed to. In light of the fact I haven't installed any new devices along with their necessary drivers, or updated any of my existing drivers, I can only assume that it's a kernel driver that's responsible for the problem.

I guess I'll be using the Lenovo until Microsoft gets their thumb out and fixes the problem. Otherwise I just might take my HP laptop outside and see how far it can fly.

• Moderators

I guess I'll be using the Lenovo until Microsoft gets their thumb out and fixes the problem. Otherwise I just might take my HP laptop outside and see how far it can fly.

That's why I always created a disk image backup before applying anything from Microsoft Updates Tuesday.

I didn't want to do anything last night for two reasons. 1.) I needed to get online and do things like check my emails, look up some motorcycle parts and get prices, and then check the forums. I didn't have the time to play around fixing Windows. 2.) I wanted to think about exactly what I was going to do instead of just diving in. I've done that in the past and usually regretted taking that approach.

I think I'm going to go with Andavari's suggestion. I have a backup image that I made in the first week of July. Before restoring it, I'll take note of all the 8/12/2014 Windows updates and make sure not to install them to the restored image. Then I'll just sit back and wait for the September updates, hoping that Microsoft resolves the issue by then.