Can't install Recuva

Danja

Hello,

I'm trying to install Recuva 1.24 on a Vista Home Premium x64 system. I'm attempting to install it to my C:/Utilities folder, and I get the following message:

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Utilites\Recuva\Recuva.exe

Click Abort to stop the installation

Retry to try again, or

Ignore and skip this file.

If I select "Ignore", I get the same message for every part of the program that gets installed. I'm running the installer as an administrator... Can someone help me out?

• Moderators

Hi Danja, I can't think why that would be happening unless you have a broken Installer. Have you tried downloading a fresh one?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/

Probably worth a try. I can't think of a reason why installing in a non default location would cause any problem, so let us know if you've tried a fresh Installer.

If Recuva has partly installed, you probably need to try and uninstall it or delete the installed folders and files.

Hope that helps.

You can also use the portable version of Recuva. Since it doesn't need to be installed just unzip the file in your chosen directory and run it. That's it.

http://www.recuva.com/download/builds

I downloaded another copy of the installer; still no go. The reason I was installing it to C:\Utilities was because I had the same error when installing to the default directory, so I thought it didn't like the program files folder. I'll try your suggestion.

• 11 years later...

I have yet to find a portable version of Recuva.  Using the downloadable setup, I have the exact same issue.  Even running the installer as Administrator gives the permission error.

Recuva v.1.53 Setup

Delete file:  C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Local\Temp\CheckUpdate.log

Error opening file for writing:

0\recuva.exe

Click Abort to stop the installation,

Retry to try again, or

Ignore to skip this file.

Edited by kwoodnbj
no portable version available

• Moderators

@kwoodnbj you have tacked your question onto a thread that was last used 11 years ago.
In future please start a new topic when you have a new question.

To answer your question:

The portable versions of Recuva, Defraggler, and Speccy have been unavailable for a number of months now.

We've asked the staff but haven't had an answer as to why they have gone missing, or if/when they will be back.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043