Snap-to

CCleanish

Dear Piriform,

Could we have a snap-to option so that we can double-click our CCleaner icon on our desktop and the cursor be snapped straight to the Run Cleaner button? The snap-to is one of Windows' better features, and saves a lot of mousing around once enabled.

Kindest regards and thanks for a great product,

CCleanish

If I click the CCleaner icon on the left-hand side of my desktop, with the intention of selecting the settings page; I shouldn't have to override the muscle memory telling me to move my hand rightwards because CCleaner has opted to move my cursor beyond the point I'm aiming for.

As for making it an option; I still think it's a bad idea. Good software makes decisions, instead of providing options. (See also: this great post by Alex Lemi)

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

For me, good software is customisable and doesn't make decisions for me. (opposite to Shane's approach) :D

One of the first things I do after installing software is find the Options or Preferences section and tweak it for my personal usage.

No two people will use one piece of software the same way, a product that doesn't bend to how someone wants it will not get used.

as to the OP, not something I see as a big concern but who knows what may appear in future versions.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

For me, good software is customisable

Oh, don't get me wrong; all software should be customizable. But I would rather see that achieved through a strong plugin architecture and API - not through a row of checkboxes.

It's interesting that; while most people say they like having lots of options, much of the software that has gained in popularity in the last few years has subscribed to the "less is more" design approach. iOS being the obvious poster child.

I'm Shane.

but muh' android market share!  ;)

Android was designed to be customizable through APIs, not lots of settings. Catering to developers eventually made it a superior product for regular folks, too.

I'm Shane.

• 1 month later...

There are a load of options already, but the UI is made pleasant by the fact that they come under a small amount of visible ones. I have CCleaner as a Quick Launch icon, so BAM BAM - the washing is done and dry. I'd even go for an option for it to run straight from the Launch. I mean, who uses the Analyse option anyway? Honestly please!

Not that I'm lazy or anything.

I mean, who uses the Analyse option anyway? Honestly please!

Who doesn't check the bathwater to before the baby goes down to the sewers.

To do otherwise is insanity. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

"I do, mostly to remind myself to double check im not deleting anything I want"

You should have already placed the cookies etc in the "Keep" section.

I still bet my house that >90% of people go straight to "Run", if we include users who aren't members of this forum (most of whom don't know the forum exists). I also repeat that it would be an option, not something you have to do with a gun pointing at your head. It would also be a paltry piece of programming.

I still bet my house that >90% of people go straight to "Run", if we include users who aren't members of this forum

So to maintain ignorance of the >90% you require a one time option click that will prevent them from recognizing the errors of their ways until disaster strikes.

You are asking that this disaster be unleashed upon the unwary even though you admit that you yourself choose to refrain from blindly walking the same way.

That is against my ethos, and I suspect very much against the philosophy of Piriform.

• 2 months later...

So to maintain ignorance of the >90% you require a one time option click that will prevent them from recognizing the errors of their ways until disaster strikes.

You are asking that this disaster be unleashed upon the unwary even though you admit that you yourself choose to refrain from blindly walking the same way.

That is against my ethos, and I suspect very much against the philosophy of Piriform.

Oh I say! What a splendid new idea to have CCleaner run directly from the tray.

I wonder whose idea it was? Oh yes; it was mine! (kind of) What a team we are. Piriform and myself. I will post my next great idea in the Suggestions forum so that Piriform will agree with it.