winapp2.ini versus ccleaner.ini

mta

• Moderators

Okay, probably a real stupid question, but what is the advantages(not the differences) of using one over the other?

In a nutshell, they both list the files that are looked for and cleaned, am I right?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

two completely different things.

Ccleaner.ini = your settings (as opposed to them being stored in the registry)

winapp2.ini = additional cleaning rules

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

mta,

This page describes what the ini files do: http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/ccleaner-ini-files/what-do-ccleaners-ini-files-do

John, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." — Albert Einstein

John, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." — Albert Einstein

• Moderators

Sorry but I mustn't have made my point.

I'm more interested in the INCLUDE section of ccleaner.ini versus winapp2.ini

for example; if i have a line in ccleaner.ini like Include1=PATH|C:\|*.tmp|RECURSE how is that better/worse than to use a similar entry in winapp2.ini like

[.NET Framework Logs*]

LangSecRef=3025

DetectFile=%WinDir%\Microsoft.NET

Default=False

FileKey1=%WinDir%\Microsoft.NET|*.log|RECURSE

(yes i realise the second only works within the specifed folder)

Surely I can make an entry in winapp2.ini that will do the same result as if it was in ccleaner.ini, like if DetectFile=C:\ and change FileKey1=C:\|*.tmp|RECURSE

• Moderators

Ah yes, sounds obvious now you mention it.

Thanks.

• Moderators

after playing with winapp2.ini I've decided to stick with the functionality of ccleaner.ini as some of the winapp2 entries I've never heard of and most of the rest i've never had installed. it's just not applicable to my usage.

found it was taking a lot longer to start CCleaner with the default winapp2 list of entries.

maybe, and other threads have hinted at the idea, there could be a first-time scan it does when installed where it looks at all the installed software and makes the appropriate winapp2 file based on the PC it's used on.

• Moderators

again must tell you they are two unrelated things. Also the file winapp2.ini can be pared down to just the programs you use. It is more of a testing bed for new entries and additional cleaning

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

after playing with winapp2.ini I've decided to stick with the functionality of ccleaner.ini as some of the winapp2 entries I've never heard of and most of the rest i've never had installed. it's just not applicable to my usage.

found it was taking a lot longer to start CCleaner with the default winapp2 list of entries.

maybe, and other threads have hinted at the idea, there could be a first-time scan it does when installed where it looks at all the installed software and makes the appropriate winapp2 file based on the PC it's used on.

www.winapp2.com/trim.bat

place it in the folder with winapp2.ini, run and follow the instructions

• Moderators

again must tell you they are two unrelated things. Also the file winapp2.ini can be pared down to just the programs you use. It is more of a testing bed for new entries and additional cleaning

isn't that the very idea i was suggesting. wouldn't a 'pared' down winapp2.ini have the same benefit of only having the entries in it that concerned that particular PC CC is being used on. much like my idea if CC could 'pre-scan' the installation PC and either include what it deemed fit or asked the question "hey i found these things, tick the ones you want included"

I did hear you the first time in your post #2, i just don't agree that they are "two completely different things".

Different In behaviour: yes, different in setup: yes, but different in outcome: no.

At the end of a CC cleanup, LOGS, TMPS, cache, cookies, what have you, are deleted. If that's from an INCLUDE in ccleaner.ini or a FILEKEY in winapp2.ini, it's matters not, at least in my reason for using CCleaner.

I use CC for it's 'global' approach, that is, for file ABC, if anywhere on my PC, remove it. Whereas I believe winapp2.ini is more 'surgical' - in folder ABC, just remove LOG files.

Winapp2.ini (the person, not the file), thanks for the batch file, I've saved it and gave it a quich glance, got some meaty commands to go through. but it basically looks like what I was talking about.

• Moderators

it's like a batch file on steriods !!!.

i used to do some DOS stuff decades ago and occasionally still dabble when I want to knock up a bat file to do some work for me but some of the commands in that file are way above my skill set.

• Moderators

yeah, Alan's a wizard with batch files, I think he even has one that switches ccleaner.ini based on either which batch is run or a command within the batch (can't recall)