Why is that defrag stop short of complete defrag?

Spiritman

I have run it and rerun it. But no cigar! I have looked at all the post's here. Changed all the options posted here. Cleaned the free space. I have done quick defrag - with all the option changes suggested on this form. I am still on XP in this PC. Hope the screen shot isn't too small.

My old defrager worked better.

I need some help here!

Thank you!

post-74671-0-54657800-1448479939_thumb.gif

• Moderators

at a guess, maybe some background task is locking files so DF can't access them to move them.

try running DF from Safe Mode and see if that helps.

(and yep, the screen shot is too small to be much use, it basically shows you have a lot of fragmentation)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

So do you mean boot defrag? Or restart in safe mode? Because I am now using boot time defrag every time.... But still ton's of fragmentation.

• Moderators

Re-start Windows in Safe Mode - usually F8 for the older Windows versions or now Shift and Restart for the later ones.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Now I got my new pc - windows 10 pro. After booting into safe mode. How do I start your defrag program? I remember some dos but not much.....

I forgot to say. My 512GB 950 PRO PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD is not seen as a SSD. It is my os drive, if that makes a difference.... How is this fixed?

• Moderators

Whoa, hold up.

Are you now trying to defrag a SSD?

Big no no if you are, they just don't need it nor get any benefit from it.

But even in Safe Mode, the way you start stuff doesn't change.  Simply go to Start, All Programs (or the Win10 equivalent) and find your program.

In Win10, simply type defraggler into Cortana should do it.

As to the PCIe SSD card, that may just be something DF hasn't been updated to distinguish for yet.  That whole PCIe slot for SSD's is pretty new and not very mainstream.

If there is no use to defrag SSD's why does this program have the option? I now people say don't do this - it will shorten the drives life. But, I thought it DOES speed up drive's speed. I mean the random access speed is alwasy much slower on SSD's So why not send a little of the ssd;s life (using defrag) and pick it up again in reduced access read times? Mybe I don't see the big picture here, butt.....

• Moderators

Because flash memory fragments differently. You dont defragment it you optimize it. I thought defragler did optimization now but I can't confirm/refute that at this point in time

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

So OK, I used windows 10 pro to optimize my SSD'd But they still show fragmentation! Not good!! I would like the to defrag/optimize them like my spinners!

• Moderators

I mean the random access speed is alwasy much slower on SSD's....

Isn't it the opposite, that random access is always faster?

There is no concept of fragmentation on an SSD, as after a period of use neither you nor NTFS nor Windows nor any defragger will ever know where the SSD controller is holding the data pages. The data is always physically 'fragmented' at the drive level.

The fragmentation you are seeing is an illusion, constructed from the Master File Table, which is itself a file. When a defragger shows its drive map it does not look at the drive, but at the MFT. A drive knows nothing about files, let alone fragmentation.

Fragmentation occurs where the MFT record for a file holds the cluster (SSD page) allocation in two or more components instead of one. There is a slight performance penalty in having multiple cluster allocations as multiple I/O commands have to be issued to retrieve the file sequentially, but I doubt whether you would notice this. The actual data retrieval time is not affected.

Forcing a defrag on an SSD might make the drive map look prettier, but in my opinion it just isn't worth the effort for a zero gain.

(I know this isn't an answer to your original question.)