Speccy v1.26.698 reporting wrong temps

Psco2007

I use Asus Suite to monitor my temps. I7 2600-k. Asus Mobo p8z77-v.

Recently installed Speccy and where the Suite says ( when converting a movie) the  CPU temp is 58C, Speccy reports 80C!.

I think the computer would have shut down at that temp and I think the result is erroneous.

I clicked Update, but it says this is the latest build.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Paul

• Moderators

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

I suspect (due to its very small program size) Speccy does little to no logic of its own and simply calls system API's or directly interrogates the appropriate hardware's firmware somehow.

It has gotten caught out a few times in the past, mainly in the areas of temperature readings, graphics card types and memory slot allocation.

I don't think it should be used as the be-all-and-end-all of system information tools, it seems from other members, more than one of these tools is helpful when one of them gives questionable findings.

But be assured that the Dev Team read these threads, so your post will be known to them.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

I suspect (due to its very small program size) Speccy does little to no logic of its own and simply calls system API's or directly interrogates the appropriate hardware's firmware somehow.

It has gotten caught out a few times in the past, mainly in the areas of temperature readings, graphics card types and memory slot allocation.

I don't think it should be used as the be-all-and-end-all of system information tools, it seems from other members, more than one of these tools is helpful when one of them gives questionable findings.

But be assured that the Dev Team read these threads, so your post will be known to them.

Hi Mta,

:)

Thanks for reply and the Welcome!!

I guess I'll just rely on the Asus Suite and Core Temp, which both give much lower readings.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! :)

Paul

• Moderators

just playing Devil's Advocate here, but who is to say the ASUS Suite is giving you the correct temp, maybe Speccy is the right one after-all.

don't get me wrong, Speccy at 80 degrees seems a tad high but in the realm of possibility.

just for completeness, I'd get another tool, that way it will either re-enforce ASUS or Speccy and then you'll know for sure.

just playing Devil's Advocate here, but who is to say the ASUS Suite is giving you the correct temp, maybe Speccy is the right one after-all.

don't get me wrong, Speccy at 80 degrees seems a tad high but in the realm of possibility.

just for completeness, I'd get another tool, that way it will either re-enforce ASUS or Speccy and then you'll know for sure.

I called Asus and they said their tool is very accurate.

I also ran Core Temp and they reported same temps as the Suite.

Thanks again for reply.

Hope you and your family had a very nice Thanksgiving!! :)

Paul

I called Asus and they said their tool is very accurate.

I also ran Core Temp and they reported same temps as the Suite.

Thanks again for reply.

Hope you and your family had a very nice Thanksgiving!! :)

Paul

Hi MTA,

It looks like I misread Core Temp in my previious post.

The temps do match Speccy when under load.

This only happens when I us Freemake when converting videos from MKV to DVD.

Doesn't happen if I use Dvdflick, but that program has not been updated in years and is a hit-and-miss affair.

Here's a pic of Core Temp as I was using Freemake.

BTW - Asus Suite STILL SAYS 58C to Core Temp's 79C.

I had a real hard time finding my post.

In other forums. it has a link on the profile page - how do you find your posts quickly?

Thanks,

Paul

Edit - another poster said his Speccy reported 100C and he said his comp never shut down and was not hot to the touch.

Edit 2 : I thought I had all programs closed, but had Firefox running.

When it was closed, the temps went down to 60C.

Hope I'm not being a pest!! :)

Paul

post-71203-0-95717700-1417496918_thumb.jpg

post-71203-0-36051600-1417500640_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I find my posts by clicking on my name (top right), select My Profile, then down the left you'll see Posts and Topics.

But I hardly use that method, I just click the View New Content button (also top right) and have it set to show the last 2 weeks.

glad you got your temps sorted out (well, kind of anyway).

at least you can get 2 different programs to be in the same ball park.

but, anyway, over-riding all that - Yes, Speccy can get it wrong sometimes.