Wipe Free Space - Computer Uncommanded Reboot Before Wipe Finished

MHWallace

I was running CCleaner Wipe Free Space, it had been running for over 4 hours and my computer did an un-commanded re-boot. (It tends to do that from time to time.)

I don't know if the Wipe Free Space had completed or not. (I don't think it did.)

I have 4 folders in my boot drive root directory that are similar to this: C:\3590F75ABA9E485486C100C1A9D4FF06ZZZZZZ....Z....Z 

They all have multiple sub-folders such as: Z......Z.ZZZZ.ZZ

My 1st Question: Are these folders and files used in the free spce wipe process? I presume they are. If so, can I simply delete these folders/files? Or should I re-run Free Space Wipe?

2nd Question: I am wondering if perhaps Norton Internet Security and/or SpyBot Search & Destroy were slowing the CCleaner Wipe Free Space.

Are these two programs known to conflict with CCleaner Wipe Free Space?

3rd Question: If they do conflict, I understand running the Free Space Wipe in safe mode might be advised. Should I run Free Space Wipe in safe mode to prevent antivirus program conflicts? (I suppose I could disable the antivirus programs, and unplug from Internet, and then run the Wipe Free Space, which might make it run faster and avoid conflicts, eh?)

FYI: Running Windows 7 SP1. C-drive is 310 GB total, with 223 GB free/unused space.

Thank you for your help.

• Moderators

You can manually delete all the ZZZZ folders/files, they were used by Wipe Free Space, it leaves those behind if it hasn't properly finished, it can also leave those behind if it gets cancelled.

You can try safe mode, that way you'll know antivirus/antimalware is completely off so it won't interfere.