CCleaner and Norton System Works

jcchev

What do you mean by work well? If your asking if thy will they interfere with each other then the answer is that they shouldnt. But you never know with norton.

24215[/snapback]

"Working well" is what I mean. In the past some programs have conlicted and caused problems. I'd like to have a better cleaner than I understand Norton provides, but don't want to cause problems for my computer (or my wife who keeps it up).

• Moderators
"Working well" is what I mean. In the past some programs have conlicted and caused problems.

24225[/snapback]

I can't comment on how CCleaner works with Norton.

However, in the past I've seen various registry cleaners destroy Norton Antivirus to the point where it would have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled. That is of course in part the fault of Symantec due them putting so much in the registry that doesn't look valid which will have some registry cleaners listing a ton of entries to be removed.

If you use any registry cleaner that can exclude entries make sure you exclude while any Norton or other Symantec product is installed:

Norton, Symantec

If you uninstall all Norton and Symantec products remove those names from the exclude list to find a horde of left over remnants in the registry.

I can't comment on how CCleaner works with Norton.

However, in the past I've seen various registry cleaners destroy Norton Antivirus to the point where it would have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled. That is of course in part the fault of Symantec due them putting so much in the registry that doesn't look valid which will have some registry cleaners listing a ton of entries to be removed.

If you use any registry cleaner that can exclude entries make sure you exclude while any Norton or other Symantec product is installed:

Norton, Symantec

If you uninstall all Norton and Symantec products remove those names from the exclude list to find a horde of left over remnants in the registry.

24228[/snapback]

Sounds like Norton/Symantec may not be the best choice to be using. What is the best system to be using?

etrust. It's so easy to use as well, a year's free trial

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft

24284[/snapback]

Thanks for the suggestion. One of the things I do like about Symantec is that is fixes some problems from time to time. Does etrust do this? If not, what other programs would that would not create issues with etrust?

Thanks,

• Moderators
Thanks for the suggestion.  One of the things I do like about Symantec is that is fixes some problems from time to time.  Does etrust do this?  If not, what other programs would that would not create issues with etrust?

Thanks,

24288[/snapback]

Things that Norton System Works can fix can be found online, allot of fixes are listed at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, others can be found just by searching for them or asking for help in a forum. There's usually one or many freeware alternatives to expensive commercial products.

eTrust EZ Antivirus won't fix issues like registry errors, hard disk errors, etc., it's a virus scanner that prevents and removes viruses and other similiar threats such as trojans, etc. I'm not sure if they offer anything on par with System Works, just check their website to see if they do.

Sitting here with both on this XP Pro machine and NO problems with them onboard. The Anti-virus component of SystemWorks can be installed stand-alone if one wants it that way.

As to issues between the programs-my finding is that they DO NOT conflict rather they support each other very well in removing undesired remnants. You will find that Norton will report NO cache or cookies if you allow CCleaner to do its job.

Critical to any Anti-virus program is the definition file. You pay and pray sometimes depending on who's you use and how you set it up. So far Norton has shown me that my machines are fine. Then again I do not download anything that is in any way questionable, even from close friends.

If you are looking for a very good Registry cleaner-you have found it here. Very intuitive and easy to work with. Much safer than Regedit for the uninitiated user too. So far this is the ONLY program that is Freeware that I will recommend for this purpose. However, I strongly warn users to be very very careful with it.

Just my many years at this speaking/opinion

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using Norton since (at least 2002), finally installed Sytem Works in 04, started using CC, and installed Norton Internet Security 05 (still got Norton SystemWorks 2004, Norton Utitlies 2002 installed also) !

All are working fine in conjunction with CCleaner (and every other anti-adware / spyware you have mentioned)

The only issue I ever had was the Norton Ghost would not allow my system to hibernate / standby. Otherwise all Norton progs work exactly as they say on the tin !

Mr B.