New MFT Cleaning Very Slow & Hangs Vista

SteveVista

Hi People,

Firstly. If this problem has already been posted, I apologise.

I have recently downloaded CCleaner V2.27.1070 and have experienced problems in Vista. When running the Wipe Free Space (Normal File Deletion setting), that now has MFT cleaning support, the system become extreemly slow and even hangs, also the percentage reverts to a low percentage value and remains there for some time. I am unable to access any other programs or the start button as the timer wheel shows the whole time on the task bar, when the mouse pointer is moved to it. In previous version, prior to the MFT Free Space Cleaner, the Wipe Free Space would work with no problem, but unfortunately now I am experiencing this problem.

On two occasions I have tried cancelling, to no avail and had to resort to a hard reboot. I am running Vista with SP2, Intel Celeron M CPU 430.

I would be greatful for any feedback and if this has been raised elsewhere, that it is a known issue.

Thanks & Merry Christmas :)

Steve

• 4 months later...

I also have this problem. My machine is a Toshiba Portege A605-P200. I just last night upgraded from Vista and applied all pending win7 updates, so perhaps the problem is related to online upgrades? For the last 4 hours, it has been working on Wiping the MFT Free Space, and for the last hour or so has been showing 2 hours, 8 minutes remaining. Completion percent has grown slowly, even if the estimated ETA has not changed - I just noticed in the past 5 minutes that it bumped up from 36% complete to 41% complete. I'll check to see if I can reproduce with a clean install, which I'm not sure if I can do, but here's hoping...

Don't. Wipe. Free. Space.

Unless you are selling your PC.

Wipe Free Space only deletes already deleted files. It doesn't improve performance, and it doesn't free up space.

Piriform French translator

Don't. Wipe. Free. Space.

Unless you are selling your PC.

Wipe Free Space only deletes already deleted files. It doesn't improve performance, and it doesn't free up space.

Oh, I know it doesn't free up space nor improve performance, and that in general, people shouldn't use it. I wipe free space in order that my disk images (generated by dd if=/dev/sdaX or so on linux) will compress better because most of what they compress will be zero.

As a follow up, it eventually did complete after some 6-8 hours (250GB disk, 5400rpm). It was only the MFT cleaning that was slow, the rest of the process was fast.