delete file command needed

luweitest

• Moderators

whoa, defrag programs should only move files.

I don't think they should start cleaning your PC, even if that is under user control.

DF allows you to right click that file in the file list and Open Containing Folder, then you can delete it.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

whoa, defrag programs should only move files.

I don't think they should start cleaning your PC, even if that is under user control.

DF allows you to right click that file in the file list and Open Containing Folder, then you can delete it.

No need to bind your hands so tightly; and if so, why should it ask whether to dump recycle bin at start?

• Moderators

On the odd occasion I do defrag, I always run CCleaner first, no sense in wasting all the time and hard drive effort to reorganise crap that is either of a temporary nature or marked for deletion.

• Moderators

if you have specific crap that isn't covered by the default CC settings, you could either setup an entry in winapp2.ini or use an INCLUDE.

• Moderators

if you know what the files are, can't you add them to be cleaned?

• Moderators

if these files can't be covered by an INCLUDE with a wildcard then you are stuck with right clicking the file, selecting Open Containing Folder and deleting it that way until the Devs deem your suggestion worthy of including in a future release.

In your specific example, "a file left behind by an uninstalled software",  you might consider a 3rd party uninstaller, such as Revo.  I tried the free version, worked OK, didn't test it extensively. 

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

If these files just occur from one time installations or experiments, in other words they are not being created over and over against your wishes, just delete them and set CCleaner to clean the recycle bin. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, files that being created regularly could be added to CCleaner, but those random, temporary files that cannot be anticipated, just be awared of when seen, as in Defraggler, is what I am talking about. Uninstaller cannot cover all these files either. "Open containing folder" is a good command, yet most of times I just want a quick delete.

"yet most of times I just want a quick delete."

I use a type of a restore software for that purpose. 

The one I use doesn't work for any OS after win xp, but there are many out there that do. 

Macrium Reflect Free is often recommended here, and there is Image for Windows (pay), and others (google). 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Well, I use Powershadow. It is different from Macrium or IFW, I have not tried those but soon will.
The way it works is to discard any changes made to the system drive, usually C:\, whenever you restart.

So I can try out software, do not have to worry about websites, do pretty much anything I like secure in knowing that the changes will be gone after a restart.  I don't have to look for junk leftover after uninstalling something. 

For example, last week I installed all the net framework updates after version 3.5 sp1.  16 of'em, all huge, all slow, ugh.  After a normal restart they were all gone. 

Forgive me if I am telling something you already know, but: 
Softwares which do this are sometimes referred to as "light virtualization" or "instant restore" applications.
In general, you boot up, make any updates or installations you want, then start the instant restore app.  

Several softwares that say they do this: (there may be others used by members here.)
- Powershadow.  Free. Works without fail on xp. Use it every day.
- Returnil.  Free version available.  Tried version 2008, it worked.
- Timefreeze by Wondershare, after 1.0 may not be free, don't know about it.
- Timefreeze by Toolwiz, free, tried it, don't remember for sure, think it slows your system a bit.  
- Deep Freeze by Faronics, don't know about it.
- Shadow Defender, don't know about it.
- RollBack Rx by Horizon Data Sys, don't know about it.
- Acronis True Image.  An older version here on xp works fine, reports on later versions talk about glitches. 

A little off topic... The files left over by imcomplete uninstallation is just an example. I have encountered other files that originated by normal computer operation. Anyway, your thorough recommendation list is appreciated. Did you compare those with Sandboxie?

I use Sandboxie alongside Powershadow, also Toolwiz Timefreeze and Returnil when they were installed.

Sandboxie is a great application.  :) 

The unnecessary files and changes incidently created by windows are what I want to be rid of, or more accurately, control.
It sounds like your objective is the same.  If it is, one of those "instant restore" softwares will do it for you. 

The ones I have tried will, and I think ?? the others listed also will.  

Sandboxie may be able accomplish the objective all by itself, don't know, never had to try it.

Another option to consider is a virtual machine, but that doesn't sound like exactly what you want.

This post has strayed bit, but imho it is part of a more complete answer to your original suggestion, a delete button for Defraggler.  Just a different method to do what you want.   

I would be very interested to learn what you work out, if it isn't too much bother.  I'm looking for a Powershadow equivalent for win 7, too lazy to try them out myself.  :P

My objective is not quite the same. I use Sandboxie or any virtualization software when I try something suspicious, or something concerning security. I use CCleaner to get free space by system cleaning. I use Defragger to promote hard disk performance. My original suggestion is for fragmented files found by Defragger, which need cleaning instead of defraging, and cannot covered by CCleaner. Virtualization is indeed another story.

I see. 

Actually I think our objectives are the pretty much same, except that I regard everything as suspicious.  :P

An instant restore app is always running here, so any software gets a tryout,  then a permanent install if it is kept. 

So there are (almost) never any fragmented files or leftovers hanging around. 

Same objective, different strategy, maybe?

Otherwise, you might have to identify and delete those files one by one. 

I don't think ?? Defraggler or CCleaner can do it. 

OK.  Understand. 

Probably will require a manual "find, evaluate, delete" operation. 

Don't know of any app that can dependably make such decisions. 

edit:  Should say I wouldn't trust any app to make such decisions.