CCleaner how often to run

Galceran

I'd say weekly.

However, you might not want to tick your browser's "Cookies" checkbox.

And don't - ever - Wipe Free Space.

Piriform French translator

CCleaner runs at start up for me. I can also find my self running ccleaner up to twenty times per day.

And as said above, dont bother with WFS, a lot of users use it religiously which is pointless.

No fate but what we make

If you are using CCleaner on a computer with other people using it, better run it after you are done with your tasks such as Internet browsing and before you log off in this way, other people can't easily access your private data.

I run CCleaner whenever I like, maybe a dozen or two dozens a day and immediately after installing programs, moving files and stuff.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

I'm in the once a week - two weeks crew. However I fully agree that if you use a computer used by others, you should do it at sign off

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I'm in the once a week - two weeks crew. However I fully agree that if you use a computer used by others, you should do it at sign off

Unless you don't trust other people (i.e. the computer is a completely public one), I'd disagree.

Unless you don't trust other people (i.e. the computer is a completely public one), I'd disagree.

I trust my daughter.

I refuse to trust Microsoft.

They have previously asserted that they know what is best for us,

and have disregarded "Automatic Update" settings that prohibit unsolicited "security patches",

and Networks have crashed.

Every time either my daughter or I shut-down, we do it via the CCleaner /Auto /Shutdown route,

and CCleaner "Include" now targets "Software Downloads",

so that any secret download whilst I was browsing will not be available for "Install on Shutdown".

Alan

I trust my daughter.

I refuse to trust Microsoft.

They have previously asserted that they know what is best for us,

and have disregarded "Automatic Update" settings that prohibit unsolicited "security patches",

and Networks have crashed.

Every time either my daughter or I shut-down, we do it via the CCleaner /Auto /Shutdown route,

and CCleaner "Include" now targets "Software Downloads",

so that any secret download whilst I was browsing will not be available for "Install on Shutdown".

Alan

Then don't use a Microsoft OS. If they really wanted to have your cookies and to know what you visit...they could do it before you erase them, don't you think ?

PS : Having Automatic Updates turned off is a very, very, very, very bad idea. It's like going in China with a "Free Tibet" T-shirt.

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm nopt so sure about the whole turning off AU but Alan_B knows enough about what he's doing to risk it (I hope you at least manually patch)

OT: Aethec your Avatar Picture is borked

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Actually I do accept their security patches, but ONLY when I am ready for them.

I have registered and am receiving their security bulletins so I know when updates are available,

and then I like to watch the Internet for squeals of protest from people trying to recover from them.

Then I create a partition image so I am able to resume normality within 6 minutes of disaster.

Finally I nudge the control up to "Notify but do NOT download ...",

and when it notifies I immediately cancel out supplementary junk like Silverlight,

or their infamous hacks on Firefox that gave Firefox the same vulnerabilities as I.E.6 etc.

Then I authorise download and installation,

with a Boot CD within arm's reach should their be an epic fail.

Then I Turn Off automatic updates until the next time.

Regards

Alan

Paranoid :o:rolleyes:

Indeed. Why are you using Windows if you don't trust Microsoft ?

PS : All the latest "bugs" from MS Updates were caused either by rootkits (esp. Alureon), or by conflicts with drivers/3rd party software.

Indeed. Why are you using Windows if you don't trust Microsoft ?

because m$ are ass h***. i have au disabled also.

No fate but what we make

because m$ are ass h***. i have au disabled also.

Then don't use Windows. Or don't insult Microsoft for creating an OS.

Why haven't you already switched to Linux or OSX ? My guess is that you don't want to, because you think Windows is better >> you shouldn't be insulting MS, especially since I don't think you have a reason to do so.

M.$. have earned a terrible reputation for the wanton damage they cause.

Last year they bundled in with security patch updates a Firefox Addon.

I immediately recognised the intrusion when I allowed M.$. to notify me of relevant patches,

and decided that Mozilla knew better than M.$. and I would wait for Mozilla to issue a proper fix if needed.

Many people were less cautious than I, and M.$. maliciously hacked their Firefox.

What purported to be an ADD-ON was NOT, instead it was a VIRUS that locked itself in.

The Firefox Tools / Add-ons listed the M.$. virus along with the legitimate add-ons,

BUT just like a virus, it needed malware removal tools/skills to remove it,

because the normal UNINSTALL option was greyed out for this so called add-on.

This M.$ virus added a major security vulnerability to Firefox, attempting to degrade it to I.E. level.

see :- http://www.windowssecrets.com/2009/06/04/02-I-cant-believe-weve-put-out-200-newsletters.

Several years ago System Administrators lost their systems.

This was due to security updates that went wrong.

It caught them by surprise because they had restricted Automatic Updates to "NOTIFY but don't download ...".

Their standard practice was to prohibit system wide updates until they had applied updates to a few test machines and confirmed essential applications still functioned.

M.$ said sorry, and explained that the "NOTIFY but dont ..." was ignored because the patch was so urgent.

The patch was only intended to give them better access to control updating.

My interpretation is that before the patch they could ignore the "NOTIFY but .." but not the "Turn Off Automatic Updates",

and after the patch they could also ignore the "Turn Off" setting.

I wonder if the extra stranglehold that M.$. obtained was used to force in the Firefox Add-on virus.

Those are a small sample of my reasons to insult M.$.

Why do I still use Windows :-

1) life would be boring without the constant battles to maintain control ;

2) every-one else in the family is accustomed to applications running under Windows ;

3) I suspect some of the applications in use do not have alternatives that run under Linux etc.

Regards

Alan

First, you shouldn't say "M.$". It makes you look like one of those stupid *nix fanboys, which you aren't.

The FF add-on was not a virus at all - simply a (failed) attempt to make life easier for .NET developers.

It had a vulnerability...well, yes, so what ? FF already has the most flaws from all modern browser, and they usually don't patch a flaw unless a PoC is released, it's not like it was invincible and MS made it vulnerable.

But we should stay on topic - if you want to discuss that further, you can open a thread in the Software forum ;)

• Moderators

hmmmmmmm.

Flame War has removed this topic from it's original purpose.

both of your are right and both of you are wrong and neither of you will convince the other

soooooo. . . .