Registry Clean From command line

hate to say it, but thats a bad idea (kinda). Why? Cleaning the registry blindly can cause serious problems to your computer. So always look at what you are going to change before you do it.

The computer is mightier than the sword

link1.gif link1.gif

Click here for cool stuff

Definitely disagree with implementing an auto registry clean command line parameter... Just doesn't make sense in my eyes, especially with the need to look at every entry that you delete from the registry. I can see it now.... Hundreds of new users crashing their systems because they used the auto registry clean command.

Keith

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators

I agree it isn't a good idea. Even though folk have the choice to use it or not, it'll be used by some just because it's there, that's human nature.

We would then probably have an ever increasing number of people coming on here to get help in repairing the damage "caused" by CCleaner, when in fact the damage was caused by unattended registry cleans.

Just MHO.

In my school there is say 100 computers and I am looking for registry cleaner that could operate this silently from command line. So my suggestion is to add following parameters to ccleaner.exe:

/REGISTRY - to clean safely removable keys from registry (+the backup)

/LOG [path]- to save the log about actions to [path]

I think that these command line parameters would use only administrator - there is no danger that "lama" users at home could somehow do this. If you do not promote about this noone even will know there is anything like this. And administrators will surely in docs find it i;-)

When you agree with auto-deleting of files of various applications (like IE, Firefox with /AUTO), etc, I do not get why you cannot see the big advantange for administrators in auto registry cleaner for many comps. In any case - implement just "remove safe removable things".

in the name of sad amins ;-)

geon

Even now when I look at list of key to be removed I am never sure if this or that key I can or cannot remove. And if there is 100+ records its quite impossible to do your own check.

Anyway in the end the responsibility lies on the admin who will this function use. It could be maybe stressed somehow even if it it is in the licence already:

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranties whatsoever. In no event will the authors, partners or contributors be held liable for any damages, claims or other liabilities direct or indirect, arising from the use of this software.

And, of course, there *are* keys very dangerous to remove and keys where is really no problem. Most of them are somewhere inside this range. I consider CCleaner to spy for more or less safe keys to offer to remove.

• 5 years later...