AVG update causes problems

hazelnut

Thank &Deity I don't use AVG anymore.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Thanks for the notice, Hazel.

I still use AVG 7.5 mainly for on demand scanning and I usually manually update daily.

The "Piriform Fairy" must have been busy because I managed not to update when the "erroneous" AVG update was released. It came and went without affecting me at all.

:) davey

P.S. Avast! Free is my main "real-time" active scanner.

Like many other "security aware" users I keep more than one up-to-date scanner on my PC.

These may be the only things available on your PC to allow you to get help -if- when you get infected.

Edited by davey

AVG 7.5 is about as effective a stopping malware as a polyester suit on a New York Gigolo with cheap Chinese imitation Gucci attire.

It may look Suave but James Bond would not be caught dead in it.

Avira AntiVir or avast! is the way to go.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Thanks Hazelnut!

Luckily, my nephew's XP laptop had yet another CTF error and he's been unable to update for a coupla days.

Fixed and done (for now). :D

ps: We need you guys over on the Adobe Flash Player Forum!

I still use AVG 7.5 mainly for on demand scanning and I usually manually update daily.

Hi Davey-

You're still on v7.5 and getting updates? I thought AVG quit supporting it at the end of August. Do you have the paid-for version? I really liked v7.5 Free. V8 Free is just sorta ok. <_<

I read about this here :

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08...09&from=rss

Thankfully, I, too, switched to AntiVir. I used to swear by AVG. Although, on the slashdot link, I must admit, I lol'd at this these comments:

It removes the biggest flaw of all: user.

Just doing it's job!

At 16:42:34 AVG achieved sentience and decided that the user(32.dll) was the problem.

this is actually a patch that they tried to roll out to fix Ubuntu bug #1 [launchpad.net], a great stride forward too.
Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Thanks for the notice, Hazel.

The "Piriform Fairy" must have been busy because I managed not to update when the "erroneous" AVG update was released. It came and went without affecting me at all.

P.S. Avast! Free is my main "real-time" active scanner.

Like many other "security aware" users I keep more than one up-to-date scanner on my PC.

These may be the only things available on your PC to allow you to get help -if- when you get infected.

Do you mean you have two AV installed that is not recommended. Even if not running the real time scanners together having two AV installed can cause problems. If you want to do an AV scan with more than on AV try using the online scanners or use the Portable Apps version of Clam Win which will not interfere with any installed AV.

You're still on v7.5 and getting updates? I thought AVG quit supporting it at the end of August. Do you have the paid-for version? I really liked v7.5 Free. V8 Free is just sorta ok. <_<

I'm still using 7.5 free too. Despite AVG trying to scare users into upgrading to AVG8 with false deadlines, updates will be continued to end of December IIRC (at which point it will be bye bye AVG, hello Antivir)

Do you mean you have two AV installed that is not recommended. Even if not running the real time scanners together having two AV installed can cause problems. If you want to do an AV scan with more than on AV try using the online scanners or use the Portable Apps version of Clam Win which will not interfere with any installed AV.

Hi Anthony, :D

I have WinXP Pro, Home, and Media Center PCs that I maintain for friends.

They are all set-up with IE7 and IE7Pro with Ad Blocker enabled.

The AV programs or security products I have installed are Avast! as "real-time" scanner. Also installed, up-to-date, and used as desired are Malwarebytes, AVG 7.5 Free Edition, SUPERAntiSpyware Free edition and SpywareBlaster. These identified and removed several pieces of malware over the last year. Personally I run Malwarebytes "quick scan" daily.

I have experienced no conflicts between any of these products. I normally update and run these even with Avast! Free still running. Of course, I don't have more than one scanner running "real-time". Every now and then I even use ESET or Panda on-line scanners just to keep up-to date on their use. This is also with Avast! still running "real-time".

Best wishes,

Hi Anthony, :D

I have WinXP Pro, Home, and Media Center PCs that I maintain for friends.

They are all set-up with IE7 and IE7Pro with Ad Blocker enabled.

The AV programs or security products I have installed are Avast! as "real-time" scanner. Also installed, up-to-date, and used as desired are Malwarebytes, AVG 7.5 Free Edition, SUPERAntiSpyware Free edition and SpywareBlaster. These identified and removed several pieces of malware over the last year. Personally I run Malwarebytes "quick scan" daily.

I have experienced no conflicts between any of these products. I normally update and run these even with Avast! Free still running. Of course, I don't have more than one scanner running "real-time". Every now and then I even use ESET or Panda on-line scanners just to keep up-to date on their use. This is also with Avast! still running "real-time".

Best wishes,

I see that you have two AV installed and that's not recommended. Some AV programs won't even let you install them if they detect another AV on the machine. I have never seen having two AV programs installed recommended in fact everything I have ever read on the subject highly recommends you don't have more than one AV installed. Of course you shouldn't run both real rime scanners at the same time but it's recommended not to even have the two programs installed at the same time.